Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It isn't, but similarly, there's nothing to say he couldn't have got his fucking head down and got to work. He's played in a similar type role to the one Goss has played latterly for us for Scunthorpe. Absolutely nothing to say that if he hadn't wanted to, he couldn't have got some minutes.

That he's been binned off entirely for months certainly suggests he was more hassle to have around doing nothing than it was to have him here doing something.

I guess we'll never know the real truth.

Hammell very much prioritised the signing of wingers when he came in. Was he either identified as a bad player or a bad egg straight away? I'm not so sure. When Kettlewell comes in, decides to change the shape and already has recent signings Danzaki, Aitchison and Crankshaw already surplus to requirements, it becomes difficult for him to achieve a clean slate.

I do agree that he's unlikely to be blameless in the situation and could have done things to make the situation better. I think some people's opinion / reaction to him is a bit OTT.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I doubt Livi would get £1m for a player who scored 7 league goals. He is a handful and was possibly injured for part of this season but you would take KVV even at 32 years of age any day of the week.

Why do goals come into it when he isn't a striker? 7 goals for a winger who spends 90 minutes with 3 folk hanging off his arms isn't bad going tbf.

FWIW I reckon any £1m "transfer fee" would be including instalments and add ons.

25 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

That statement would have been quite something, would certainly set a new precedent in terms of squad announcements... 

"Josh Morris - Released.........for being unbelievably pish, stinking out training every day and for being a massive grade A arsehole."

Tbf at least we seemed to be able to locate him. Meanwhile Dundee Football Club are being left on read by McGowan. 

Which player has had the best turfing out at our club?

Over the years we have had a mix of some decent players leaving and some that were Lillian Gish. The exits of Josh Morris and Ollie Crankshaw are a bit tame compared to others.

I'm sure David Kelly got into a fight with Terry Butcher and Eric Black before being promptly sacked. Colin McNair in the early 90s had people showing up at Fir Park looking for money, as it transpired he was on the gear. He got into a scuffle with Paul McGrillen and when George Burley and Jim Griffin tried to break it up it was Griffin that came off the worst, I think he needed a new set of teeth. I can't remember the full story about Rob Matthaei but I'm sure he approached Billy Davies about playing more and was told no, and in an interview with the Daily Record he said he wanted to knock Davies out. In more recent times Mr Glass himself, Jacob Blyth was caught inhaling nitrous oxide from a balloon while his Georgie Shore bird was doing lines next to him.

4 hours ago, gullane said:

"Livingston striker Joel Nouble is attracting interest from Europe and the Scottish Premiership club would want a transfer fee of £1m. (Herald - subscription required)"

So what price for our Kev?

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

Probably £200k……….tongue in cheek. 

I doubt Livi would get £1m for a player who scored 7 league goals. He is a handful and was possibly injured for part of this season but you would take KVV even at 32 years of age any day of the week.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm often amazed by what fees end up being paid but a million for Nouble seems mental.

I reckon we'll get 500k-ish up front for KVV plus whatever in add-ons.

Livi are doing what we did. 
Talk him up ask for big bucks, probably accept a quarter of it.

I've only ever been impressed by what I've seen on highlights, When ever I watch him (vs us) he's not been too impressive, but again I probably didn't go to games where he was great. (I did like the look of him at Arbroath though. and I think there was once V Celtic or Rangers he was great for livi) 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Why do goals come into it when he isn't a striker? 7 goals for a winger who spends 90 minutes with 3 folk hanging off his arms isn't bad going tbf.

FWIW I reckon any £1m "transfer fee" would be including instalments and add ons.

Is Nouble a winger?
I don't doubt he doesn't play exactly through the middle but I thought that was more to do with launching big diagonals at him. 
You'd know better than me though so fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Saw Jake Hastie in Motherwell Asda last night.  What a mess his career is in.

Lovely big motor, right enough! 

TBF, he is probably still earning a fair wage at Hartlepool. The best he can hope for is bouncing about lower league England on decent money IMO. He was awful on his loan spell back to us. 
Big motor and a winners medal for the League of NI. No' bad! 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Is Nouble a winger?
I don't doubt he doesn't play exactly through the middle but I thought that was more to do with launching big diagonals at him. 
You'd know better than me though so fair enough. 

He's at his best out wide, and that's where we play him most of the time. Even at Arbroath I'm sure he was drifting out wide while in their front 2. In fairness I do think he came to us as a 'striker' and Martindale would stick him up there on his own for some reason every now and then. Main point being his "role" in our team wasn't necessarily to score goals, but rather to hold the ball up while our other attackers could get into a good/better position.

Anyway, this is the Motherwell thread. How about that curry food?

45 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

The boys are back a fortnight on Monday, unless they’ve gone to Turkey and engaged in the Raging Bull diet are they gonna get beasted in preseason?

I love the idea that players used to finish the season, spend the summer drinking pints, smoking tabs and eating fish suppers and be spewing on a sand dune on the first day of pre-season, where now they just pretty much stay at full fitness all the time as close season is 3 or 4 weeks tops.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

What’s the best bit of Strathclyde country park for dog walking?

Motherwell thread collectively nods and winks at “dog walking”.

There’s a roundabout near the Roman Baths that heads up the hill to Bellshill. In among those trees and stuff is the most dog friendly, unless it’s a wee fat thing your Mrs carries round in a handbag then the far side between the water sports centre and and the starting tower for the rowing.

7 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Motherwell thread collectively nods and winks at “dog walking”.

There’s a roundabout near the Roman Baths that heads up the hill to Bellshill. In among those trees and stuff is the most dog friendly, unless it’s a wee fat thing your Mrs carries round in a handbag then the far side between the water sports centre and and the starting tower for the rowing.

This area, quite un PC-ishly, used to be known locally as, "The Poofters Car Park".

Once on my bicycle I had to ask two guys to get off the path and out the way as they were too busy with fellatio to notice me.