Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It seems he's an agent these days.

I'm guessing it's this agency as Wilson's on their books along with a few others - Charlie Reilly who's just signed for Dundee being one of them.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/451-football-consultancy/beraterfirma/berater/10631

Screenshot2023-06-12at18_58_52.thumb.png.2482b1020d65bdb38178ef3056ca89e3.png

I literally read all those clubs as well in his bio and missed the big football agent bit. 

3 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The league cup group stages definitely do make the summers harder for a manager of a club like ours to achieve a rebuild.

We've got 17 first team players on the website at the moment (18 including Lennon Miller). Regardless of transfer activity, it looks massively unlikely that McGinley or Butcher will be fit to play Elgin, which leaves us down to 15 players.

I imagine in that fifteen, there are some players who don't feature greatly in Kettlewell's plans - Maguire, Danzaki, Shields, Mugabi and/or Lamie and maybe even Tierney - but he's going to have to strike a balance between getting his squad in place for the season and having a team to field in the League Cup games.

Maybe we'll start to see a flurry of activity with the players due back next week, but it has been very quiet all in on the rumour front too.

I think the biggest balancing act with the LC group is to have enough to scrape through the group without shooting your wad before decent players are about later in the Window. Would a Danzaki/Shields dream team be enough to beat Elgin or Queens Park? 

I think we've underestimated Ketts may follow form and use what he has in the building. Going with a Danzaki, Spittal, Tierney, row of 3x #10's sitting behind Conor Shields. What would that formation/philosophy be called to rival the Thunderdome or Alexanderball?

Menagé-a-dix?

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the biggest balancing act with the LC group is to have enough to scrape through the group without shooting your wad before decent players are about later in the Window. Would a Danzaki/Shields dream team be enough to beat Elgin or Queens Park? 

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw but the question - given the seeding arrangement in the last 16 - is could Danzaki/Shields make us one of the best three group winners...

I appreciate we can't screw a full season just to play these games but there's only two trophies we can even theoretically win. Blowing one of them because we need to take our time is highly annoying unless there's a payout in May, a la Alexander.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Groningen seems a good move for him I'd say. Can't see many teams offering what we want in the UK. 

Groningen, at this point in time, could be an excellent move for him or an absolute bin fire. They are rebuilding and he could play a big part in that but they are in a really dodgy place as a club too.

For context, they are coming off the worst season in their history, relegated in 18th place in the eredivise (out of 18)and wining 4 games out of 34. Fan aggression has been an issue and 3 of their directors (2 board members & director of football) stepped down in murky circumstances last season linked to fraud. There are rumours they are in substantial debt as well. So lets hope any offer we accept for Kev is not installment based!

More fun snippets:

-Knocked out of Dutch cup by amateur side, while playing at home.

-Boycotted local press after they published a story about a player's violent dog.

-Approached 6 new coaches after sacking their manager, all of whom turned them down (assistant manager got the job and won 1 game out of 20)

-Game against Ajax had to be called off due to fan pitch invasions (one fan attached a Groningen player) and pyro.

FC Groningen v AFC Ajax - Dutch Eredivisie

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm quite curious about what big weird Dutch purchases KVV will make on £10k p/w.

Chips, an ill fitting football strip, 7 a side goals and hire an oompah band would be among his first purchases according to the thread.

16 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

When was this? O’Hara had to get out his back pocket to get in the dressing room is my recollection.

I get he’s not rated by some who aren’t decision makers but, at least keep it factual.

The last home game against St Mirren, Sat in the main stand watching him factually getting rag dolled by O'hara. 

13 hours ago, Swello said:

Theoretically they should be, but the memories of Sligo capitalising on our error, then us having no answer to them sitting behind the ball are still prevalent. You get your fair share of top flight sides struggling to navigate their way through the league cup group stages, probably for similar reasons we might be facing just now. If we believe this morning's article that the Van Veen situation is pretty much a done deal, then hopefully that can make Kettlewell fully aware of what his budget is and we can start to thing about getting bodies in.

The only articles I can see are confirming that Groningen have agreed terms with Kevin Van Veen. Should they not agree terms with Motherwell FC in the 1st instance ? I would assume Motherwell would need to sanction talks between Kev and another team. 

I get visions of them saying here Kev we will give you 10,000 Euros per week. Here Motherwell we will give you 400,000 Euros and by the way Kev wants to come to us. 

I appreciate it may be tough for us to negotiate unless there are other interested parties, but again I don’t think we should be entertaining anything less than 1m Euros = £850k. 

The transfer window officially opens tomorrow and I read somewhere that for signing overseas players it is 1st July. Does that apply the other way ? 

Fingers crossed we manage to negotiate a good deal for us and one that can help address losses and give Kettlewell a wee bit extra in his budget. 

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The only articles I can see are confirming that Groningen have agreed terms with Kevin Van Veen. Should they not agree terms with Motherwell FC in the 1st instance ? I would assume Motherwell would need to sanction talks between Kev and another team. 

I get visions of them saying here Kev we will give you 10,000 Euros per week. Here Motherwell we will give you 400,000 Euros and by the way Kev wants to come to us. 

I'd expect that the conversations between club representatives, on both sides, and agents happen to see how likely the deal will be, so the agent saying 'we know they'll accept X for player Y, so that's what you'll need to pay to get him' I don't imagine anything is happening here that's out of the ordinary. 

Kev has been refreshingly upfront about it all, looking likely he will be away and good luck to him. He was honest that if it was good money for him and for Motherwell he'd be away, I'd hope it'll be high six figures. 

Edited by MurrayWell

We’re showing up pretty well in this P&B thread on twitter about defensive stats. 
https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status/1668574736996089858?s=46&t=yBqygZ3Qt_Yyw_rDhUiFCg

Feels mental that we conceded the least goals outside the Old Firm and had the joint 4th most clean sheets. Very pleasing we’ve also topped the tackles won, fouls committed, and yellow card tables. 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

We’re showing up pretty well in this P&B thread on twitter about defensive stats. 
https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status/1668574736996089858?s=46&t=yBqygZ3Qt_Yyw_rDhUiFCg

Feels mental that we conceded the least goals outside the Old Firm and had the joint 4th most clean sheets. Very pleasing we’ve also topped the tackles won, fouls committed, and yellow card tables. 

That's what was bizarre even when Hammell was in charge. I'm sure we were 6th on goals conceded and goals scored (or similar) but sitting near the bottom. Just conceded at very bad times and didn't score at the right times.

11 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

The last home game against St Mirren, Sat in the main stand watching him factually getting rag dolled by O'hara. 

Like I say, not how I recall it. Stuck to his task and nullified O’Hara where other teams had failed. Not the only pivotal action of our team in Kettlewell’s first match.

O’Hara won’t have the chance to body him next season at anyrate.