Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

:lol:

Aye, It wasn't a dig. I figured he'd have been on holiday. I hope he's been somewhere nice.

It's just that there are quite a lot of unknowns around us at the moment, our end of season squad update was announced in a pretty weird way and it's been pretty quiet comms-wise especially with Burrows having moved to Pittodrie. For those of us who still follow him on the socials the job he's doing for Aberdeen is *quite* the reminder of what we're currently not getting from the club at the moment.

As I say, given this is Kettlewell's first window and pre-season with us it'll be genuinely interesting to hear what he's got to say about things.

I see from today's papers that Cormack is being forever the big weirdo he is.

Became a reply guy to Burrows by mistake. Typed 'Conor Hazard' and posted it instead of googling it. 

So weird. 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/conor-hazard-aberdeen-transfer-tweet-27146283

9 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I see from today's papers that Cormack is being forever the big weirdo he is.

Became a reply guy to Burrows by mistake. Typed 'Conor Hazard' and posted it instead of googling it. 

So weird. 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/conor-hazard-aberdeen-transfer-tweet-27146283

Salma Hayek

12 hours ago, Casagolda said:

We signed a second journeyman right back in his 30’s last summer to completely block the pathway of the clubs best emerging academy talent. 

The club really should be criticised for that. Regardless of whether the boy turned out more Jamie Semple than David Turnbull, we preach so often as a club about a pathway to the first team and in Johnston’s case there literally was none.

My understanding of the McGinn signing, informed by a family member who was mildly ITK of the saga, was that it happened because Alexander was determined to punt SOD out the door. Apparently SOD had a pretty frank discussion with Alexander at the end of the prior season and (with some justification) had some questions about GA's tactical approach as a whole and how SOD himself was being asked to play. Didn't go down well, SOD had the armband taken off him and was told he could pack his bags basically. So McGinn became available during his negotiations with Hibs, was signed in a rush, then everything was left in limbo with SOD after the Sligo debacle and Alexander being given his jotters.

Fully agree that it should still be held against the club hierarchy though because they allowed that situation to play out, to Johnston's detriment. If that was how it really went down, you'd think a loan move for SOD rather than Johnston would have been a better solution for everyone involved.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The next one is obviously Lennon Miller who's currently contracted to 2025 and we seem to have been getting in and around the first team at a young age. Youngest ever Motherwell player and all that.

This is what I alluded to yesterday but didn't actually name him. If he has the potential go for a very good return then we need to be thinking strategically at present how that progression is managed in terms of exposure and increasing his game time. Especially if that return (fingers crossed) could be in excess of 2 average seasons worth of Scottish and League Cup runs which is our "cream". I think to do this, everything has to be on the table including a formation or tactic that can accommodate and showcase the best of him. It also doesn't necessarily mean that will be at the detriment of results, it could very well enhance them.

As for Max, I get every player might not own a dug but the "here's ma dug" feature a while ago, there is usually a reason behind who's being covered in our media stuff. There is zero reason Hammy couldn't have kept him around or set up with wingbacks after Penney was secured. A good few months under the belt by Christmas in the top league, it would have been an easier sell to him. And following on from above, to accommodate him, McGinn would have been pushed in beside Sol and Lamie which wouldn't have been a bad thing, you know like when we got a pragmatic coach.

Edited by Kapowzer

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

Fy-fBS6XgAEEidT?format=jpg&name=large

Hello Obika.

3 players there whose contracts all officially expired this summer. None of whom the club actually announced had signed any sort of extension.

SOD mentioned he had another year in a press conference.

Craig Cairns pointed out Mahon had another year on his deal in an interview he did with him at the start of May.

and...there's Obika - surprise!

What are we like, eh?

Fwiw, I'm fairly sure the boy with the hoodie is Paton as well.

Fy-fBS4XgAE0Xuf?format=jpg&name=large

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I hope we just don't actually announce any of our signings from now on either. Actually that could already have happened I suppose. 

It would up the attendance for the early LC games - "Come along and see who've signed! Pay at the gate"

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

It would up the attendance for the early LC games - "Come along and see who've signed! Pay at the gate"

Would be a very devious and underhand cash grab if you turned up in the day only to find a team with a spine consisting of Lamie, Maguire and Shields.

On 18/06/2023 at 13:34, RandomGuy. said:

I mentioned Milne one here about 6 months ago, if we're playing top trumps.

On 18/06/2023 at 13:19, Ludo*1 said:

Don't be touting Harry Milne to other clubs - I'm still hopeful we'll swoop. Leave it out.

On 12/08/2022 at 14:21, thisGRAEME said:

We should really have taken the leap for the boy Harry Milne before he went to Thistle, IMO.

Listen, if we're doing Milne top trumps, take a fucking sit down lads eh?

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

3 players there whose contracts all officially expired this summer. None of whom the club actually announced had signed any sort of extension.

SOD mentioned he had another year in a press conference.

Craig Cairns pointed out Mahon had another year on his deal in an interview he did with him at the start of May.

and...there's Obika - surprise!

What are we like, eh?

Fwiw, I'm fairly sure the boy with the hoodie is Paton as well.

Fy-fBS4XgAE0Xuf?format=jpg&name=large

It’s a bit of a joke really isn’t it. I mean I don’t really ask much from the club, at all, but as a bare minimum I would quite like to know who actually plays for us. 

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I have an idea why but it's a bit weird that the press are running a story about month old comments from Kettlewell about Danzaki eh?

The quotes in these articles are lifted from his press conference posted on 26th May before the United game.

Operation Plane Ticket Hame in full swing.