Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, dezz said:

Tait was a great player for us during a pretty enjoyable period. Quite surprised to see him retire at 33 as he’s obviously insanely fit from all his CrossFit stuff and could still have done a job for a bottom 6 or top end Championship side. 

I can understand it -you can never re-create your best days

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, dezz said:

Tait was a great player for us during a pretty enjoyable period. Quite surprised to see him retire at 33 as he’s obviously insanely fit from all his CrossFit stuff and could still have done a job for a bottom 6 or top end Championship side. 

In fairness his IG post says he's retiring from *professional* fitba. There's a flexibility there I guess.

There were plenty of posts about it on here at the time but I think you really noticed what Tait brought after he left. When we went from 3rd* to heading for relegation and Robinson eventually resigning it felt like there was a massive shift in our "culture" when the likes of Tait and Hartley left the building and we were left with the likes of Gallagher et al as the key figures in the dressing room.

He was probably the best captain we've had since Lasley and he wasn't even officially our captain.

Tait was great for us, however. I thought his legs had went towards his ending with us, a surprise as folk said he is super fit.
I only really seen him against us after which I thought he was playing to prove a point.
He was brilliant though. I wish him all the best.

Shave yer heid though Taity

Tait has hardly kicked a ball since October when he had a groin injury which didn't clear up even after surgery. He did appear to have resolved the injury near the end of the season however he would have lost a lot of fitness since then. Good luck to him whatever he decides. Certainly well respected down Paisley way.

6 hours ago, santheman said:

See our 16 year olds got beat 4 0 today in the Lanarkshire Cup by Airdrie who fielded a very strong team by all accounts.

Wins a win. Get it up ye ya bas 

53 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Where do we rank Super Richard Tait against our other RB's of the last ten years? I've got him as my number one.

Who's his competition?

Reid, Kerr, Hateley, Josh Law, Grimshaw, Cadden, SOD? Do Johnston's 16 games get him in the conversation vs guys who played 100+ (albeit not all at RB)?

It's a weird one because as @crazylegsjoe_mfc says on the other page he actually played a fair chunk of his Motherwell career at LB/LWB so it depends on how you're actually comparing.

To add, he's definitely up there for me either way.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Where do we rank Super Richard Tait against our other RB's of the last ten years? I've got him as my number one.

Right up there for me too, albeit I'd probably say he played more at left back than right back for us. He showed a great level of quality and consistency. I also felt it to be harsh on him that after playing on his wrong side for so long, when we did eventually sign a left back (Carroll) he found that he was the one dropped, rather than Grimshaw.

Part of me believes with Carroll doing his Achilles and him back in the team, he'd have ended up with an extension and our problems at left back the next season wouldn't have been as bad. I know there was the whole situation where he tried to sign a contract no longer on the table, but COVID did obviously play a part in that.

Dicky Tait and Max are the best RB from the last 10 years. Tait shades it due to number of appearances  .  

That being said he left the boot in a few times against us when playing for Saints so I’m a bit conflicted about him. Might just call him dick .