Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

It'll be a situation like Sibbald at Falkirk where the compensation that would be due to Morton will be putting anyone off signing him

He's already 23, turns 24 in November.

The compensation rules only apply up to the season of a player's 23rd birthday.

Tbh, I know next to nothing about Strapp but, hilarious patter when he's subbed on aside. He kind of feels like one of those players who have picked up a reputation of being alright in the Championship and there's been a word of mouth thing amongst fans of other clubs as a result.

Connor Shields vibes in that respect.

I mentioned it yesterday but I wouldn't be surprised if any wingbacks we might be looking at were Furlong style re-gens from the EPL academies. We've got two experienced internationals in the position currently so it'd be a sensible pitch to make if we were to lean into that from a development POV.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, DeadStar said:

If we're doing this then Lewis Strapp is still without a club. The thread can make it happen.

Is Strapp not long term injured?

I think the boys said that on the six hours of Terrace Podcast I'm sure, but a lot was said, so I've already forgotten what was said at the start.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

I think the boys said that on the six hours of Terrace Podcast I'm sure, but a lot was said, so I've already forgotten what was said at the start.

He got injured against Celtic in January and didn't play again for the rest of the season, but he's recovered now.

He's the sort of Championship player who's obviously one of the best in his position in the division, but there are enough question marks over his game to doubt if he's definitely good enough for the step up. I wonder if he'd maybe be better going somewhere like St Johnstone or Dundee where he's definitely an upgrade on the shit they've already got rather than somewhere like Motherwell where he'd be coming in as backup and could easily disappear into obscurity, but maybe having less pressure in not having to start every week with time to find his feet would help, and this late in the window he really can't be choosy anyway.

As long as signing anyone else will push Motherwell towards giving us Lamie back I'll be delighted.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I thought Strapp was linked with St Mirren. I'd go to their thread and ask but they're all horrible to me over there.

Think he was on trial but nothing further announced yet.

25 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

They also said that Strapp doesn’t like Dougie Imrie so he’ll do for me.

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

As long as signing anyone else will push Motherwell towards giving us Lamie back I'll be delighted.

Are you related to Ricki Lamie?

5 minutes ago, DeadStar said:

I'm not surprised.  Anyone who is remotely comparable to Alan Burrows will be wanting twice the salary than what's on offer.

Anyone willing to take on the role for what's on offer is either wildly incompetent or won't apply for it as they know the shit they'll have to take along with it. 

We're going to need to take a punt on someone unproven, looking to make the next step up, just like Flow did.  What's the story with the guy who does the tannoy?  I like the cut of his jib.  Promote him to the top job, IMO.