Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Really good interview with Tierney here btw...

https://www.extratime.com/articles/31638/ross-tierney-ive-never-played-in-england-before-so-its-a-different-challenge-but-i-always-think-i-can-do-well/

Quotes about Motherwell in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

“Leaving Bohs was difficult but I always wanted to move away from home,” he explained. “Thankfully my girlfriend came over with me which helped me settle.

“The first four to six months were always going to be a teething period for me and I was also getting used to playing full time.

“I got my first goal and then towards the end of the season I scored against Rangers which was probably one of the highlights of my career so far. 

“But after that last season I didn't get off to a good start with Graham (Alexander) getting sacked and Steven Hammell came in.

“Behind the scenes wasn't great but that's the way football goes sometimes but when the new gaffer (Stuart Kettlewell) came in and explained that we were joint bottom.

“He pulled me aside and said ‘we need results and this was the team that he thought would get the results we need’ so that was fine – and the lads kept winning!...

“I'm always a big believer in if the team is winning, why would you try to change it? Why change something that's not broken?

“We had a real togetherness because we knew that the lads were winning games and it was a good environment to be in. Then I started getting niggly injuries and that didn’t help so I wanted to try and play games.

“I was delighted when I went to see the gaffer and he said that it would be best for me to go out on loan and get some minutes. 

“But I had to just see what way it worked out with Motherwell because we didn't have a big squad so I couldn't just go when I wanted. 

“That wasn't good because I couldn't go early in the window and get settled in with the new group that's here.  But I eventually got to go and I'm happy with Walsall now. I'll keep an eye out for Motherwell because at the end of the day I'm still classed as their player.”

But the main aim for Tierney this term is to start football matches again and be happy on and off the pitch once more in his bid to recapture the form he enjoyed with Bohemians.

“At Motherwell I enjoyed it and we had a great changing room and the lads were always helpful to me – including the staff – but I think I needed a little reset to go back to not going into a week where I know that I'm not starting, even a week before,” he admits.

“I was there a year and a half and it felt like I wasn't a football player anymore. I felt like it was a bit of a chore, which it should never be.

“I felt like I was just going in just to train and I didn't think I had a chance of playing which didn't give me any confidence.

“I'm more of a confidence-based player and I think a new challenge here obviously helps because I can show my capabilities and my qualities down here.

“Hopefully I can get into the team soon enough, start playing, and get a few goals and assists – getting back to the quality I was playing with at Bohs.

“Hopefully we can have a great season together at Walsall.”

Link

I for one am shocked to hear that things "weren't great" behind the scenes when Hammell was there.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Certainly seems to be signing a lot of young talent for the English markets. 

According to a WaybackMachine archive from back in January his contract was up in May so I take it the Watford move had probably been in the works for a while.

I notice he wasn't given a squad number this season (which makes sense if he was OOC) but equally wasn't included as out of contract in the squad update unlike Dunachie, Hunter, Spiers, Connelly, Johnston, Wilson, Devine et al.

F0cQtNkXwAYAA3J?format=webp&name=medium

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

There were rumours that he was going to turn up in India but he's still out of contract. 

Good, Completely f**k him then. Canny be arsed with folk playing well with 3 months left on their contract.

7 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Surprised Stuart Mckinstry hasn't gotten a deal anywhere either.

I'd still take him back...

Goss less so but you do wonder if a Donnelly situation is possible.

It also seems remarkable that he'd leave without a concrete offer, at least a plan B, to fall back on.

Johnston wandering off to take his chances is one thing, Goss - despite the odd flash pass - is basically a journeyman and on a totally different shelf in the supermarket.

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'd still take him back...

Why? 

He's clearly a talented player but Kettlewell clearly doesn't fancy him and there's not really a role for him in the way we're setting up at the moment. 

Hopefully he gets something sorted soon. At the point in his career where he needs a proper run of games. 

Goss can f**k right off. 

I'm the same, fwiw, I'd absolutely take McKinstry back, not particularly arsed about Goss.

Goss was class since Kettlewell came in, but with Miller and wee Davo, we've moved on at this point. 

McKinstry on the other hand ups our 'Motherwell as f**k' quota, and there's definitely a quality there with him.

See, I 100% think McKinstry could develop in the role that Spittal plays but similar to Tierney, as things stand, he's not going to start - which at his age and stage of development is probably what he needs to be doing.

Probably unanswerable question as we're never going to know but I'd genuinely be curious if it was the case that Ketts didn't fancy him or rather, as Tierney discussed in that interview I quoted yesterday, he was just a casualty of the change in shape and the form we were in.

Tbh, if Joey Efford was to move on I'd happily have McKinstry back to fill that spot.

Edited by capt_oats