Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Why is Lamie being allowed to leave for Dundee on loan? Is there really so little money that you're letting established first team players go and leaving yourselves a bit threadbare just to clear them off the wage bill?

We have to replace other players because people keep maiming them 

I honsrly felt that it was a much more even second half, but really I think I've just been thinking about the negatives (and the penalty miss) that's really blinded me to the greater performances.

Paton was a much needed change and we started to build from there. What has he done with the previous Paton?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Why is Lamie being allowed to leave for Dundee on loan? Is there really so little money that you're letting established first team players go and leaving yourselves a bit threadbare just to clear them off the wage bill?

Are you at it? If so, fair enough.

Either way the honest answer is that we've First Team squad of 24 players and we're aiming to keep it at that rather than revert to what Robinson used to do and just bring in waifs and strays leaving us with a squad pushing 28/29 bodies of bloat.

Upshot is players who are (being polite) on the fringes of the team are being moved on to allow us to bring other players in - as @YassinMoutaouakil says we need to replace the ones that other teams, like St Mirren, keep maiming - currently 3 of our 4 strikers are injured long term.

@Al B has pretty much covered it but Lamie is behind both Dan Casey and Shane Blaney for that position and we've Paul McGinn as a fixture at RCB. Reading between the lines, from what Lamie said around the time he signed the PCA with Dundee when Alexander was here - he thinks he should be a first pick. The problem is he's just...not.

I dunno, but it kind of feels like Mugabi is probably more accepting of having a squad role than the bold Ricki so will probably have less of an issue with stepping back when Butcher returns.

Also, I think Lamie pretty much sealed things in Kettlewell's eyes with his performance against Queen of The South in the LC. In the 4 group games we played we kept clean sheets in 3 - we conceded 3 in the only one Lamie started and he proceeded to get himself sent off.

Lamie had a good run under Alexander but was mince under Robinson, Hammell and he's not been close to getting a look in under Kettlewell.

So, yeah...that's kind of it. In a nutshell it's a case of "one in, one out" based on our squad size - so if we need to bring in a couple of centre forwards (we do) then players who aren't likely to be contributing will need to move out - Lamie's one of them.

Edited by capt_oats

31 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Paton was a much needed change and we started to build from there. What has he done with the previous Paton?

Paton went nearly 11 months without a competitive match before Kettlewell signed him. A proper pre-season and a bit of patience must have been good for him. 

First half not so great, to say the least. 

Second half, SK made the right tactical change and Paton was excellent. Spittal looked better moved forward a bit with an extra man in midfield. Slattery ran all day. Casey was outstanding. Spencer came on to a great game too. 

Pleasing. McInnes is a willy. 

Edited by eliphas

6 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I thought (minus the penalty miss) Slattery had a brilliant game today 

Slattery was excellent today. His pass through to Spencer to put him 1 on 1 with the goalie (where he then stood on the ball) a couple of minutes before the penalty was sublime.

I had a wry chuckle at a guy a few rows behind me in the Cooper who shouted "FFS Slattery, get him hooked, he's done nothing today". The change of shape and Paton sub really allowed our midfield to play.

I do think Bair looks like one of those guys who we'd be better having just running about bumping into people, rather than trying to give him the ball.

Paton took his chance today and played with real confidence. He really changed things when he came on.

For Efford, the exact opposite - he did *not* take the chance he was given. It really feels as though his selection today was a "prove me wrong" moment from SK's point of view and being hooked at half time tells its own story. I don't expect to see him in claret and amber again. The only thing that might save him is our laughable injury list but it does feel like getting him out the door so another striker can be brought in would be best for all parties at this point.

Edited by For Your Pies Only
Can't spell

20 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Paton took his chance today and played with real confidence. He really changed things when he came on.

For Efford, the exact opposite - he did *not* take the chance he was given. It really feels as though his selection today was a "prove me wrong" moment from SK's point of view and being hooked at half time tells its own story. I don't expect to see him in claret and amber again. The only thing that might save him is our laughable injury list but it does feel like getting him out the door so another striker can be brought in would be best for all parties at this point.

Yep, on Efford, that will have made SK's mind up. Quite a few times I looked down to SK from my seat and he was visibly shaking his head and disappointed at Efford. St Johnstone beckons Id say with Fletcher coming in even if we don't get another striker in on top of that.

57 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

I do think Bair looks like one of those guys who we'd be better having just running about bumping into people, rather than trying to give him the ball.

Said as much at the game - as a battering ram without a requirement to have the ball at his feet, he actually kept the killie defenders occupied - should be how we use him from now on.