Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

?

I thought Spittal would have been the most likely, given that Slattery's record on pens is patchy. Gutted he wasn't, as I had him as an any time scorer on my betbuilder and that was the only leg that let me down.😪

3 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

St Mirren v Aberdeen game in doubt tomorrow due to a waterlogged pitch

St Mirren having trouble clearing the Motherwell / Kettlwell tears from the pitch 

its fine, they've stopped crying since their very own version of Mason Greenwood scored the winner today.

Today's first half was obviously grim but to me it just showed the margins again. Going ott on how bad we were is not unfair on the basis for 45 minutes but pointless for looking at the likelihood of a full season.

Killie for the first half looked nailed on top six on first glance but essentially had nine average players like us. The difference was we had two passengers up front, they had Kennedy and Armstrong as outlets in top form.

One change at HT and suddenly we had nine average players, only one diddy and Paton having the half of his life even before the goal (I assume).

Suddenly Armstrong was a passenger for them and Kennedy, though still a threat, had much less service. And it turns out that rather being a much better XI than us, they looked worse, for 45 mins at least, when we balanced the w**k-average-good guy ratio.

So fair play to SK, he can put that three points well and truly in his bag as far as I'm concerned. Simultaneously - we won't manage that every week, we need another option up front.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

On 13/08/2023 at 18:46, ropy said:

At the start of the season I look for our first goal, then our first point then our first win.  All my boxes are ticked, let the season proceed.

As the season proceeds I look for us to gain on average of a point a game and see a positive goal difference as a bonus.

My boxes are full of ticks.

41 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Will never understand why a centre forward is on the park and someone else hits the penalty. Either Bair doesn't have confidence in his own finishing or Kettlewell doesn't have confidence in him. 

Don’t get that way of thinking. Some of the best penalty takers haven’t been centre forwards. It’s all about how you strike a ball, composure and technique. 

28 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Don’t get that way of thinking. Some of the best penalty takers haven’t been centre forwards. It’s all about how you strike a ball, composure and technique. 

If a striker can't strike a ball from 12 yards then they should just call it quits on football 

Have to say that Slattery is a bit of a revelation this season so far.

Last year of the contract syndrome or not - he's looking as sharp as he's been at any point. 

Overall, this looks as strong a midfield as we've had for a couple of years. 

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Was Oli Shaw with him at County? My initial reaction is absolutely not for me

Was Yogi who brought him in. Albeit he was brought in less than a month after Kettlewell left so he probably had a bit to do with it

8 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Either Bair doesn't have confidence in his own finishing or Kettlewell doesn't have confidence in him. 

I mean fair play if you do, because I certainly would not.

SODs should be hitting our penalties, imo.

Think yesterday answers the 'why isn't Joe Efford getting a game question?', contributed so little that I wouldn't be surprised if Kettlewell actually forgot about him when asked about the striking options. 

Poor first half performance. Great second half display from the team, manager got it spot on at half time. Slattery and Spittal have been phenomenal under Kettlewell eh? 

Agreed about SODs hitting the pens, was also another solid performance from Steve Clarke's laddie, wish some in the support would gee him a break. 

Edited by MurrayWell