Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anything of note for us re Rangers tonight? 

Rangers did well. Didn't think Betis were up to anything but Rangers did what they needed to. Lawrence may have got injured

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anything of note for us re Rangers tonight? 

Yes. Despite us thinking we can win. Based not only on our performances this season but also theirs. The sad truth is there is little likelihood of this happening. 

Their squad is worth circa £90m. Tonight they brought a player off the bench they paid £4.5m for. We may bring on Oli Shaw, Nathan McGinley or maybe one or two kids. It is a total mismatch.

Hope I am wrong but tonite proved they have the squad and squad depth to beat all other teams (other than Celtic) comfortably. Somewhat unsurprisingly 🤷‍♂️

56 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Yes. Despite us thinking we can win. Based not only on our performances this season but also theirs. The sad truth is there is little likelihood of this happening. 

Their squad is worth circa £90m. Tonight they brought a player off the bench they paid £4.5m for. We may bring on Oli Shaw, Nathan McGinley or maybe one or two kids. It is a total mismatch.

Hope I am wrong but tonite proved they have the squad and squad depth to beat all other teams (other than Celtic) comfortably. Somewhat unsurprisingly 🤷‍♂️

Didnt see the game tonight, but heard Beales post match interview, he didnt exactly sound ecstatic! He said they werent great in the first half, but were better in the second. I think they are still a work in progress and whilst their resources are undoubtedly far superior to ours I dont see us rolling over and getting our tummy tickled as we have sometimes in the past. First goal is key. They get it and it could be a long afternoon, but the longer it goes the more their fans will start to get disgruntled. Remember, the league is everything to them this season. Europe will buy Beale time, but if the league form continues they will be on his back.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

To be fair I was quite upbeat ahead of this weekend. But watching them beat Real Betis brought back a cold hard dose of reality. 

I also think we stand a better chance when I and others think we have no chance. Call it reverse psychology or whatever but I think our chances of winning or even getting a point are remote. It certainly would help if we had any strikers available that could score. 

9 hours ago, welldaft said:

To be fair I was quite upbeat ahead of this weekend. But watching them beat Real Betis brought back a cold hard dose of reality. 

I also think we stand a better chance when I and others think we have no chance. Call it reverse psychology or whatever but I think our chances of winning or even getting a point are remote. It certainly would help if we had any strikers available that could score. 

Winning there is always a longshot.

The fact that we havent done it there in the league since 1997 tells you everything.

Not saying at all we will win on Sunday. Just dont think them beating what some have described as a poor Betis side 1-0 at home is any grounds for despair.

We will have to be at our best and work really hard to get anything at all, and Im probably going to hate myself at 5pm on Sunday for being stupid enough to buy a ticket, but its the hope that kills you!

😆😆😆

Edited by joewarkfanclub

Winning there is definitely always a ln outside chance but agree Europe doesn't necessarily show much.

Even when Rangers are rotten they're inherently better than us, they're just inconsistent or there stars aren't motivated for the league etc.

Betis gave it a go at playing football by the sounds of it, we will offer a different challenge I imagine and - especially assuming Celtic win first - Ibrox will be as nervous as hell until it hits 2-0.

A tight affair with a nervy home crowd, then Dan Casey to maraud forward for a late winner to finally sword these cnuts. 

Casey last scorer and Motherwell to win. Double pays 210/1 with Ladbrokes.

Fiver on that = Easiest grand you'll ever make.

Maybe. 

Edited by 'WellDel

On 04/08/2023 at 13:40, Desp said:

What's the story with the guy who does the tannoy?  I like the cut of his jib.  Promote him to the top job, IMO. 

Speedie's road to the top job starts right here. 

18 hours ago, Neil86 said:

What's the script with Max Johnston. Played a grand total of 27 minutes, missed a few squads and on the bench tonight.

Oh dear.   I suppose he's got a long contract with them, so he's going to be seen as more of a 'project' than a nailed-on starter.
The Wiki page has this:

image.png.7322c65149fd4de41ef8f7f6ca0f4b57.png

Is Sturm Graz II their reserve or development team?   Has he effectively been transferred down to that for this season?

I recognise a couple of names but don’t know any of the candidates, a mixture of good guys and folk with specific relevant skills.  If only 3 or 4 new faces get on the board I hope we are able to still harness the efforts of the others that have gone to the bother of putting themselves forward, it would be shame to lose their input.

Obviously if there are any known weirdos give them a miss.