Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

With Butcher back where does it leave us in terms of defence, does Mugabi drop out once he's fit?

I'd say that would be the obvious move. He's been broadly fine while he's been playing, but is always just a rush of blood to the head away from costing us a goal.

3 hours ago, Neil86 said:

With Butcher back where does it leave us in terms of defence, does Mugabi drop out once he's fit?

Got to for me. Overall Mugabi has been fine in the interim but still has a shocker in him. Take the penalty he gave away against Livingston as an example 

4 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Good thing for me is it gives us some options. 

Straight in to defence where he did well or move him into midfield to kick folk. Options. 

4 hours ago, ropy said:

I take it Davor wasn’t selected for the North Macedonia squad, are we dragging him down with a lack of playing time?  Meanwhile 5 of the current back 6 are full internationalists.

Just on this, by my reckoning we had 7 (if you now include Paton & Spencer) full internationalists in our starting 11 playing at Ibrox against their measly 5.

Not sure that's ever even came close to happening before but it really makes a mockery of the cliché, "a team of internationalists" as if it's a sign of sheer squad quality/depth...

4 hours ago, eliphas said:

Good thing for me is it gives us some options. 

Straight in to defence where he did well or move him into midfield to kick folk. Options. 

Think he was always lined up for midfield but used in defence as a necessity if I'm right? Would expect him to be used in a mix of both to help facilitate miller's development and shore up defence when required.  

Fair play to @RandomGuy. (StAnalysis is you right RG?) for trying to explain to Eric Nicolson what we're trying to with CareBair and also pointing out that the only reason he's started as much is because all our strikers have been injured.

Curious to know how many of our games Nicolson's seen to be able to judge whether Bair does/doesn't link the play effectively enough in our system.

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Fair play to @RandomGuy. (StAnalysis is you right RG?) for trying to explain to Eric Nicolson what we're trying to with CareBair and also pointing out that the only reason he's started as much is because all our strikers have been injured.

Curious to know how many of our games Nicolson's seen to be able to judge whether Bair does/doesn't link the play effectively enough in our system.

I also think "good in the air" needs to be thought about differently because folk thinking it just means "John Fashanu in 80's Wimbledon" are miles out. Both Bair and the lesser spotted Obika are *really* good at taking the ball at chest height and not letting a defender get near it - which is probably a much more effective tactic in modern fitba than "big man nods it on".

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

I also think "good in the air" needs to be thought about differently because folk thinking it just means "John Fashanu in 80's Wimbledon" are miles out. Both Bair and the lesser spotted Obika are *really* good at taking the ball at chest height and not letting a defender get near it - which is probably a much more effective tactic in modern fitba than "big man nods it on".

Bair is also good at prodding the ball on to a supporting player successfully.  Which is why I would like to see him partnered with another striker who may have a higher conversion rate than our midfield (although our current midfield is operating above average in that respect).

1 minute ago, Allroy for Prez said:

It’s been generally accepted that Bair has only been playing as much due to injuries but Wilkinson is now available again and Shaw arrived with no issues so I’m not so sure that’s the case as much now as there has been other options for the past few games.

Except neither Wilkinson (who's still coming back from an exploded calf) or Shaw offer the same in terms of hold up play that Bair does and up until the Livi game it's generally been accepted that the set up with Miller, Paton, Slattery and Spittal wasn't something that should be fucked around with.

Which circles us back to the point @RandomGuy. was making in response to Nicolson - that he's been in the team recently as a facilitator and doing a reasonable job. Regardless of whether the bold Eric can "see it" or not.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Except neither Wilkinson (who's still coming back from an exploded calf) or Shaw offer the same in terms of hold up play that Bair does and up until the Livi game it's generally been accepted that the set up with Miller, Paton, Slattery and Spittal wasn't something that should be fucked around with.

Which circles us back to the point @RandomGuy. was making in response to Nicolson - that he's been in the team recently as a facilitator and doing a reasonable job. Regardless of whether the bold Eric can "see it" or not.

Not all on Bair though as you've got Spittal screaming for the ball played back to him only to fire it at the keepers foreheed 😆 

Edited by SteelyDosser