Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

from what I have seen I wouldn't be hugely against Bair and Biereth as a pair either.

This is my preference tbh.

Paton drops out. Slattery and Spittal ahead of Miller. Paton available if Slattery or Spittal are having one and more energy off the bench.

Butcher at the back.

Killa B's.

16 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is my preference tbh.

Paton drops out. Slattery and Spittal ahead of Miller. Paton available if Slattery or Spittal are having one and more energy off the bench.

Butcher at the back.

Killa B's.

My only worry is Miller doing the nasty stuff we need a sitting midfielder to do in that system 

Not sure he does that..yet, anyway 

44 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's really annoying that you're not allowed to play 12 men NGL.

If Butcher is half as good as I remember, and Biereth is half as good as I hope, there's a mathematical argument that this improves the team but still only adds up to 11.

Alternatively, we can just play without a 'keeper.

6 hours ago, dezz said:

Looks like we'll be seeing Spencer continue on the left against County with Soare picking up another injury. Good to see Mika upgraded to 'Doubtful' for the weekend, but expect he'll be on the bench at best.

Assuming he is fit to start in the coming weeks, and his Hibs cameo wasn't just a flash in the pan, what do we do with the shape? Revert to two up top with Mika and Bair/Wilkinson, or stick with the four central midfielders and one striker? Biereth didn't strike me as a lone forward in his limited minutes so if we want him on the pitch I'm guessing it'll have to be in a two. Nice to have options I suppose. 

We could always move back to four at the back tbh. 

Then the diamond midfield with two up top. Will lose some width as the full backs won’t be as forward however more options up top. 

Not saying it’s my preference but it is an option.

Just now, wellboy1991 said:

We could always move back to four at the back tbh. 

Then the diamond midfield with two up top. Will lose some width as the full backs won’t be as forward however more options up top. 

Not saying it’s my preference but it is an option.

Best sticking to the tried and trusted back three with the two wing backs ( not O'Donnell please).

This has worked well especially last season since kettlewell took charge.

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

My only worry is Miller doing the nasty stuff we need a sitting midfielder to do in that system 

Not sure he does that..yet, anyway 

Don't care whether he does or doesn't, just score loads of goals please.

18 hours ago, well again said:

Best sticking to the tried and trusted back three with the two wing backs ( not O'Donnell please).

This has worked well especially last season since kettlewell took charge.

I don't mind O'Donnell tbh. His use of the ball is always great even if he's not quite got the legs he used to. That and Gent's attempts at defending at Livi are giving me nightmares never mind him. 

Long term I'd be absolutely fine with Mugabi returning to the bench and getting Butcher in at centre half again. Hopefully Biereth gets himself fit as well. 

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind O'Donnell tbh. His use of the ball is always great even if he's not quite got the legs he used to. That and Gent's attempts at defending at Livi are giving me nightmares never mind him. 

Long term I'd be absolutely fine with Mugabi returning to the bench and getting Butcher in at centre half again. Hopefully Biereth gets himself fit as well. 

I don't mind O Donnell either but I would prefer Spencer as he is quicker and more athletic and his use of the ball can't be any worse than O Donnell.  Johnston and furlong proved last season the importance of quick and athletic wing backs. Playing with a back three of mcginn,butcher and Casey allows the wing backs to flourish.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Pretty much agree with this, but I think Livi should be written off as a horrendous day at the office for all concerned. Gent looked good against St Mirren. 

As much as Bair has been decent in his hold up and link up play, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the two up top becomes Mika and Obika once everyone's fit.  Kettlewell loved the Obika and KvV partnership last season, he clearly trusts Obika and I don't think Wilkinson, Bair or Shaw have done enough to become regular starters. Want to emphasise when everyone is fit as while Obika has been quite impactful when he's been fit, we canny get him on the park for any real length of time. 

It's got to be Casey - Butcher - McGinn in the back 3, for me.

The wing backs are the most difficult decision I think. I haven't seen any of Gent yet, but hear his defending at Livi left a lot to be desired. I'd be keen to see Spencer play on his correct side, but we might better off as a collective leaving him on the left and keeping SOD at RWB for now.

I noticed Wilkinson mentioned in his press conference pre-St J that he had been focussing on playing more of a facilitator role in training, rather than dropping deep and building play as he seems to have done at previous clubs. I have a wee feeling there's something there with him so I'd be keen to see him up top with Mika when they are both fit, but expect SK will be looking to get Obika back in when fit after his impact last season. 

5 minutes ago, dezz said:

It's got to be Casey - Butcher - McGinn in the back 3, for me.

I don't think it has to stay like that forever but given how that trio finished last season as our current strength in central midfield, I can't imagine SK thinking any differently.

The rest comes down to form or a hunch really but that core (and Kelly) should see us competitive more often than not.

49 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Miller clearly learning from the best in the business. 

Fouled every 18 minutes. Mad thing is Slattery seems to have been genuinely trying to stay on his feet more this season. 

I was a little disappointed we didn’t have any players in the most fouls committed list. That and the lack of goals is above who starts wingback in the priority list imo. 

Was also surprised at the amount of crosses Spittal has completed. His roaming role suits him so well. 

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Bit of a crossover here but did anyone catch our Chairman on the debate thing last night?

I've not watched yet but a few mates did and they weren't full of praise.

I think he maybe felt a bit uncomfortable sitting beside a panel of liars and a load of weirdos in the audience. But no he didn't come across very well though.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Bit of a crossover here but did anyone catch our Chairman on the debate thing last night?

I've not watched yet but a few mates did and they weren't full of praise.

His position became untenable after he took part in that creepy 'Loving Cup' shite imo.