Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thank f**k Biereth is brilliant btw

Had the fear that in my head I'd built him up as far greater than he is on the back of his first appearance. Off the bench , pen won , scored and then an assist . Pretty sure we'll be fine if we can just keep the hammer throwers away from his knees for the rest of the season.  

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Had the fear that in my head I'd built him up as far greater than he is on the back of his first appearance. Off the bench , pen won , scored and then an assist . Pretty sure we'll be fine if we can just keep the hammer throwers away from his knees for the rest of the season.  

I was convinced he'd miss the pen. Cool as you like.

Beireth and Wilkinson should be starting soon. Shaw and bair weren't terrible, but they have no cutting edge.

It will be interesting to see of Miller comes back in straight away, who out of the midfield 3 will drop out?

Surely we change the back 3 for the next game.

Edited by rowsdower

17 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Beireth and Wilkinson should be starting soon. Shaw and bair weren't terrible, but they have no cutting edge.

Shaw is indeed terrible. Receiving the ball on the edge of the 6 yard box and immediately running towards the corner flag; you will not do, sorry.

When big Dan Casey has more attacking acumen than your centre forward, it won't work.

Shaw was utterly anonymous , genuinely confused when Bair came off instead of him , thought he at least had been putting himself about and was noticeable in the game.  Thought Paton was really quite good throughout but at the same time felt that something was missing with Lennon not being there . 

28 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

It will be interesting to see of Miller comes back in straight away, who out of the midfield 3 will drop out?

Surely we change the back 3 for the next game.

You'd ideally have four changes next time, the obvious two up top, Miller for Paton and Butcher for Mugabi.

Whether the fitness is there for two of the potential in incomers a different story ofc.

Shaw was rank. I didn't expect much from him but the absolute minimum was better than Bait and he's not even managing that...Bair obviously no threat either but at least you could see what he was supposed to be doing. 

It’s clear that Biereth and Wilkinson was the plan at the start of the season. 

They’ve only been on the pitch together in the league twice for a grand total of about 40 mins and in that time we’ve scored 5 goals(with them getting 2 each). That’s half our total for the season so far!! 

We’ve essentially been playing with our 4th and 5th choice strikers for most of the season. Any team would struggle for goals doing that. Keep those two fit, get Butcher back in the middle of the defence and I still think we’ll be fine. 

I’m more worried about the wingbback situation to be honest. Spencer has no left foot but Gent seemingly can’t defend. Meanwhile SODS struggled again down the right today as well. How we fix that with Souare seemingly out till January who knows.

Also a shout out to young Luca Ross today. No idea what shape we were playing at that stage or where he was meant to playing but it was a lively cameo and he was in the right place when it mattered to get us a point. 

Edited by Casagolda

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

You'd ideally have four changes next time, the obvious two up top, Miller for Paton and Butcher for Mugabi.

Whether the fitness is there for two of the potential in incomers a different story ofc.

Shaw was rank. I didn't expect much from him but the absolute minimum was better than Bait and he's not even managing that...Bair obviously no threat either but at least you could see what he was supposed to be doing. 

Thought Paton was the best of the midfield 3. I would go for Miller, Paton. One of Spittal or Slattery 

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

It’s clear that Biereth and Wilkinson was the plan at the start of the season. 

They’ve only been on the pitch together in the league twice for a grand total of about 40 mins and in that time we’ve scored 5 goals(with them getting 2 each). That’s half our total for the season so far!! 

We’ve essentially been playing with our 4th and 5th choice strikers for most of the season. Any team would struggle for goals doing that. Keep those two fit, get Butcher back in the middle of the defence and I still think we’ll be fine. 

I’m more worried about the wingbback situation to be honest. Spencer has no left foot but Gent can’t defend. Meanwhile SODS struggled again down the right today as well. How we fix that with Souare seemingly out till January who knows.

Also a shout out to young Luca Ross today. No idea what shape we were playing at that stage or where he was meant to playing but it was a lively cameo and he was in the right place when it mattered to get us a point. 

Agree on the wing backs. Would like to see Spencer on the right. No idea who we play left wing back though. 

Bair will never score for us again and Shaw will never score 1. 

I’d be happy if neither played again for us, both absolutely atrocious.

Like was posted above, the wingback situation is the latest worry. I’ve never rated O’Donnell and  he was rotten today. Gent seemingly can’t defend so these are both areas of concern. I wasn’t at Livingston but that’s easily the worst Slattery, Spittal and Paton have played this season for me. 

We might have snatched a draw, but it feels like a defeat it was so bad throughout. 

From what I saw from Shaw today, there is no way he’s good enough for this level of football. Theo Bair was marginally better, but again not good enough, the experiment hasn’t worked I’m afraid. Much better with Mika and Wilko up front, at least there was a goal threat with the latter pairing.

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Anyone from the Arsenal academy will be streets ahead of anything else up here.

39 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

From what I saw from Shaw today, there is no way he’s good enough for this level of football. Theo Bair was marginally better, but again not good enough, the experiment hasn’t worked I’m afraid. Much better with Mika and Wilko up front, at least there was a goal threat with the latter pairing.

I watched Shaw closely today and he has the appearance of someone going through the motions. Never showed any aggression or desire to win 50/50s or close down an opponent. For me he is 5th choice striker when everyone is fit,  and I hope his game time is limited from here on in.