Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Hard to stress how far the club are from "it" with this.

Nah theyre spot on IMO, the flares last night were a farce and were close to getting the game stopped (the ref and linesmen discussed it before a break in play helped show it was clearing), while also covering a whole stand where eldery fans sit in smoke.

Its a pointless thing thats entirely for show and actually adds nothing at all to the game, get them in the bin.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah theyre spot on IMO, the flares last night were a farce and were close to getting the game stopped (the ref and linesmen discussed it before a break in play helped show it was clearing), while also covering a whole stand where eldery fans sit in smoke.

Its a pointless thing thats entirely for show and actually adds nothing at all to the game, get them in the bin.

Pros - it looks good.

Cons - difficulty breathing in the vicinity of a flare (from personal experience); they’re extremely hot, so dangerous; no one can see the bloody game in the aftermath; game could be delayed.

But they look good, apparently.

The stewards attended a couple of folk to see if they were coping with the smoke, I just couldn’t see anything for a short while then it cleared.

I don’t really see the point of it but I’m not a teenager anymore.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

But they look good, apparently.

To 16yo fan of LadBible.

Anyone aged over 20 who thinks they're impressive needs to start growing up IMO.

Anyone over 30 who thinks theyre impressive needs their hard drive checking.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry, should have been clearer: That's absolutely fine if that's your view point, broadly, I wouldn't argue it. I think flares are class, but I also appreciate that they come with an element of danger, and discomfort for others in the stadium. I'm generally quite tickled at the VLs banging the drum on twitter about how brilliant and amazing they are haven't been within 100 yards of one, but NEVERTHELESS.

More pertinently; As a club you cannot be punting season tickets, chucking photos and videos on socials of fans doing that, and going on and on about the wonderful support and the club that represents the fanbase, then go with that. You canny be tacitly endorsing it then not. Canny have it both ways.

Pyro does nothing for me personally. Even back in my younger, energetic days when were actually half decent, I never went to a game and thought it added something to the game for me.

I think there's an element of the forbidden fruit with it. I think people like doing it because it's edgy and not allowed. Whilst if it became permitted I reckon it would take off initially, I think it would eventually die down.

I can absolutely get that using it in adverts is an awful look for the club and paints them out as hypocrites, but I also get that they must know they'll be under pressure from the authorities to release that statement. They probably should've thought of this before using it on their adverts right enough, but that was very much in keeping with the Russell / Brannan brand.

On 05/11/2023 at 19:13, ropy said:

So we are now running to par, 3 points on Tuesday please for some breathing space. 

Now 12 from 12.  Although technically last night was one of the first 11 games so 12 points from the first round of 11 fixtures. Zero from the second round so far.

7 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

The Miller one - I do not actually remember him going down injured against Aberdeen, but the photo is there on the article....it is possible that was having my cranium rescued from the East Stand roof at the time from one of my many rants about Wilkinson and the clown car defenders, but does anyone know what happened?

The Aberdeen defender went steaming right through him on the edge of their box near half time but despite that Colin Steven having a great view of the incident he gave heehaw for it. 

Speaking if which I see that wee helmet is the fourth official on Saturday. 

Pyro -
I think it looks nice when you have 5000 fans in an end using it as part of a big display, when it's 80 folk with 4 flares... Nah.

I've nothing against it it doesn't bother me. But I am not interested in it tbh.
I don't think the attitude of the supporters who are into helps. Suggesting "serious" chats with groups to allow "safe" pyro. All the while not really giving a f**k about who round about them may have issues while they go ahead and use it illegally anyway.

But I am no really bothered either way. (It's also kinda funny it's come up just now when other forms of pyro is always ridiculed as "for daft wee boys" when it comes to fireworks.)

And Graeme is right, Minter fae the club.

Interesting article from the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post reporting SkillCorner’s physical and tactical ('game intelligence') data with Wyscout’s technical ones to create a direct play index. Based on 100, the latter ranks teams from 27 leagues worldwide from those with the most direct attacking style to those with the most elaborated offensive play. Can be seen at https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost438

Motherwell are 13th in the world indicating that a direct style of play doesn't mean success. Now that we options up front perhaps Ketts should be concentrating on defence and a more patient approach rather than the high ball to Baer that he doesn't want. I think Davor should be given a go and playing players on their preferred side (Spencer) would be good to see. I would suggest:

Oxborough (give Kelly a rest)

Spencer Casey Butcher Blaney Gent

ZdravKovski Paton Spittal

Biereth Bair

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Out of interest, how much do these flares cost? Seems like a fair bit of money literally going up in smoke. 

Not much, tbh; https://ultrasstore.com/gb/

An associate once bought so much in a local paintball shop the boy offered to throw in some free paint grenades, which he did not take, which was quite funny.

16 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Someone in the club media must fucking hate Oli Shaw because that hard cut to the away end giving him pelters is tremendous.

Haha, had a wee chuckle at that myself. 

Im soft as shite so my thoughts on Shaw so far has been “at least he’s getting in the right positions… the goals should come”. Then that happened… the bare minimum is testing the keeper or at least trying to play Bair in and he’s completely failed. He went for the 19th best option so I’m done.