Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

55 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think so but he was really good in Football Manager a few editions ago and I don't know if that skews opinion IRL.

Came on here to say the exact same thing. He was a joke in fm22, or maybe 21

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I would say in fact that we almost never make 'bad' signings in the sense there's a logic behind nearly everyone. And it's the nature of where we are that some will work out and some won't. I'd make an exception for the likes of Souare and obika, whose records made them clearly questionable, but otherwise roll the dice.

Danzaki was an awful signing in every way, IMO.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Disagree. On reflection it was very, very funny.

And we got Thommo 

I just don’t know enough about our recruitment to criticise.  We only see who we end up with, not who we go for.  A number may price themselves out of a deal, a number may have no interest in moving to Scotland, a number may not fancy Motherwell or Kettlewell, we may get usurped at the last minute by a rival.  Then we get what is left.

If it was all laid out we could provide a view of the effort that went into it or the quality of the top picks, but it never will be.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I just don’t know enough about our recruitment to criticise.  We only see who we end up with, not who we go for.  A number may price themselves out of a deal, a number may have no interest in moving to Scotland, a number may not fancy Motherwell or Kettlewell, we may get usurped at the last minute by a rival.  Then we get what is left.

If it was all laid out we could provide a view of the effort that went into it or the quality of the top picks, but it never will be.

We started involving analytics to help our transfers. https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2020/11/26/exciting-new-partnership-between-scottish-club-motherwell-and-analytics-fc/

So presumably that gives us a pool of players based purely on numbers that we can then look at in more detail in order to work out if we want to pursue them. Then it'll be a case of whittling it down through wages, competition for the signing etc until we actually get to the point of signing one of these folk. 

f**k knows where Danzaki fits in to that though. 

Ali El Hamadi at Wimbledon would be a great striker for you guys Iraqi international 21 grew up in Toxteth in Liverpool banging goals in at Wimbledon will be avaliable PCA in six months big guy 6 2 mobile has great compossor some people doon there even say that he might be good enough for the English championship 

I have put him up in my Foreign players that could do a job in the SPL thread,aren't putting him up here or the mods will be on my case once more

Its a suggestion though and a darn good one even if I don't say so myself which I did 

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We started involving analytics to help our transfers. https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2020/11/26/exciting-new-partnership-between-scottish-club-motherwell-and-analytics-fc/

So presumably that gives us a pool of players based purely on numbers that we can then look at in more detail in order to work out if we want to pursue them. Then it'll be a case of whittling it down through wages, competition for the signing etc until we actually get to the point of signing one of these folk. 

f**k knows where Danzaki fits in to that though. 

We've also been involved with the Transfer Room thing as well which I'd imagine helps streamline the process as well. 

2021 - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-hibs-motherwells-transferroom-ticket-24305484

2022 - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-rub-shoulders-euro-giants-26462825

https://www.transferroom.com/

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agreed it always looked like a mad gamble to me but thankfully Ketts was very quick in punting him and we allegedly broke even . Soure and Obika are worse deals but for me the prize turkeys are Nathan McGinley and Barry McGuire who were signed on Alexander’s watch and have contributed the square root of f**k all for at least the last two years.

11 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Agreed it always looked like a mad gamble to me but thankfully Ketts was very quick in punting him and we allegedly broke even . Soure and Obika are worse deals but for me the prize turkeys are Nathan McGinley and Barry McGuire who were signed on Alexander’s watch and have contributed the square root of f**k all for at least the last two years.

Re-signed,

McGinley was a Robinson signing, Maguire is an academy product.

41 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Ali El Hamadi at Wimbledon would be a great striker for you guys Iraqi international 21 grew up in Toxteth in Liverpool banging goals in at Wimbledon will be avaliable PCA in six months big guy 6 2 mobile has great compossor some people doon there even say that he might be good enough for the English championship 

I have put him up in my Foreign players that could do a job in the SPL thread,aren't putting him up here or the mods will be on my case once more

Its a suggestion though and a darn good one even if I don't say so myself which I did 

I feel as though I watched a wimbledon game on BBC in the FA cup against some lower league opposition and he looked very handy.

A fairly decent goal scoring record, albeit in league 2 and available on a free, at only 21 means he will almost certainly not rock up in Motherwell unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

I feel as though I watched a wimbledon game on BBC in the FA cup against some lower league opposition and he looked very handy.

A fairly decent goal scoring record, albeit in league 2 and available on a free, at only 21 means he will almost certainly not rock up in Motherwell unfortunately.

6 months he can sign a PCA plus he is only on £900 a week looks a really good pressing forward nicks the ball away from defenders maybe unless he doesn't get a better offer from championship or league one 

I still think that a season or two up here puts him in the shop window for a much bigger move if he does the job

To Rangers or Celtic or to a Seria A maybe a Turkish or a Belgium team on decent money

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Re-signed,

McGinley was a Robinson signing, Maguire is an academy product.

I have just checked and you are correct that they were already in the building before Alexander -  though I remember being incredulous at the time that Alexander didn’t just let their deals run out/ punt them. They are both horrific footballers and this notion that McGuire could come on to shore up midfield in the second half of this season is laughable. I’ve never seen a midfielder get caught wrong side of his man more often . 

I'd have Langstaff in the Paul Mullin category of: Would be absolutely class but most teams here can't get them.  

Both Notts County and Wrexham are absolutely chucking money at their squads down there. 

21 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I have just checked and you are correct that they were already in the building before Alexander -  though I remember being incredulous at the time that Alexander didn’t just let their deals run out/ punt them. They are both horrific footballers and this notion that McGuire could come on to shore up midfield in the second half of this season is laughable. I’ve never seen a midfielder get caught wrong side of his man more often . 

Liam Donnelly, but you have a good point.

18 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Langstaff banging them in for Notts County surely he is another that the Scottish clubs should be looking at and Young in League two there all goal scorers think Killie want a bew striker annaw

I think you play too many computer games

29 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I'd have Langstaff in the Paul Mullin category of: Would be absolutely class but most teams here can't get them.  

Both Notts County and Wrexham are absolutely chucking money at their squads down there. 

Langstaff is on £100 less than what Shankland earns he would be a great replacement for them but will give you that Mullen is on decent cash £4.800 a week but who knows if they get what they want for him big Lawrence I mean

Kemp went back to MK Dons goal scoring midfielder wonder if they'll loan him back out?

Miovski gets £100 less than Mullen if they get big money who knows could be a good replacement for him watching there show he does seem happy with them though 

29 though could have a couple of good seasons but no re sale value 

Edited by General dissaray