Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Crankshaw, Aitchison and Danzaki all in that window as well. What the f**k was Hammell smoking when he booted up Football Manager?

Some of the quotes from Hammell about Danzaki are amazing like.

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

Loan update up on the site / socials. 

Mahon is back....saving the season with Maguire. Bookmark this.

In all fairness he seems to have done well at Edinburgh. 

However he is a winger so the chances of Kettlewell playing him will be extremely slim.

Edited by wellboy1991

5 hours ago, 21maxwell said:

Conor Wilkinson assisted a title winning goal for me at Motherwell back in the day when I loaned him from Bolton. (So imagine my buzz when we signed him)

As much as I love FM, at our level yeah its not a great indicator at all. 

I had a similar story with Omar Daley on Fifa a year or two before he rocked up, 30 yard screamers and the like.

53 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Some of the quotes from Hammell about Danzaki are amazing like.

“We are looking forward to working with him over the next couple of years.”

Hammell was sacked just 14 days later and Danzaki was released 6 months after this.

8 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

In all fairness he seems to have done well at Edinburgh. 

However he is a winger so the chances of Kettlewell playing him will be extremely slim.

Aye, strong tongue in cheek from me just to be clear. 

It's also been a 5 game purple patch really and most of those games Edinburgh have lost. So im not sure how much the stats reflect reality. 

Seriously though, it would be great if it had turned out he was half decent from this loan. Getting him playing as one of the wider forwards in the Ketts 5-2-3 could be a thing. Or, just as a difference if the 5-2-3/5-3-2/5-4-1 isn't working for some width

I don't think Wilkinson was actually that bad, certainly compared to some of the pish we've had through the doors in recent years or even some of the pish still at the club!

Wrong club at the wrong time perhaps, but I think he'll go on and have a decent enough career down south.

Aye you're probably right, just like a daft Simpsons meme. 

EDIT:

And I suppose, in his defence, he gave playing centre mid an effort despite, ye know, not actually being one. 

Edited by MurrayWell

Since we've had a few outgoings here's  the squad as it stands (based on the published First Team on the official - I see Wilkinson's still there :)).

lineup.png.5d5ddd7a557142ebbf884ffe199dd0c0.png

Feels like we're definitely short of RWB, LWB, CB, a midfielder and (probably) an across the front 3 forward.

I wouldn't be committing all our recruitment to it but between Biereth, Spencer, Gent and Furlong we've had a decent return on sourcing players from the PL/EFL Championship u23s in specific areas of the park which hasn't always been the case - Luka Belic and Zak Jules anyone?

Even McKinstry was broadly fine until Kettlewell got the gig and binned him out the team.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I don't think Wilkinson was actually that bad, certainly compared to some of the pish we've had through the doors in recent years or even some of the pish still at the club!

Wrong club at the wrong time perhaps, but I think he'll go on and have a decent enough career down south.

In my opinion he was better than all our strikers apart from Biereth.  Not that difficult lets be honest. Of course Bair has turned prolific goal scorer (for now) Wilkinson would be behind him in the pecking order.  

I think he would thrive in a team that lays on opportunities for him.  If he played for either of the Old firm he would bang in a fair few goals.  The problem is we need more effort from our forwards.  Bair gave us that without the goals.  Now he has added that long may it continue. 

I am assuming we would have factored in some loan returns. Especially since none of them are likely to be regular starters. I get it may impact the budget, but if we bring in less than 4 serviceable players then I will be disappointed and we really will be praying that we get a run in 2024 without key injuries and suspensions - which simply will not happen.   

Without trawling through all of the teams (around about us) I suspect we would have the smallest squad with 1st team experience ?

Wilkinson was hopeless from day 1. Anyone who was at Elgin that day will recall him sclaffing shots wide, missing an open goal and generally looking disinterested. 

I put that down to it being his first game and it being rust when in fact he was just rotten and was punted less than 6 months into a 2 year deal when we have extremely limited striking options. 

Anything to suggest Wilkinson was anything but a horrific footballer who should be remembered in a similar vein to Jacob Blyth is revisionist nonsense. 

Edited by MP_MFC

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Aye.

Wilkinson is an absolutely fine enough footballer but the vibes were kind of off from the start and I think some folk just made their mind up on him straight away for whatever reason. He isn't the first and won't be the last in that respect I guess.

It probably didn't help that the manager seemed to change his mind on what he wanted to do with the team a few weeks into the season. He's not a target man and he's not someone that's going to do the running around stuff that folk get worked up about.

Either way we found a taker and they were willing to chuck us some cash to get him so it's a case of no harm, no foul.

Think he showed in flashes a bit of technical ability, took a couple of goals well, but overall Wilkinson's output wasn't enough for us, considering he was signed to be one of our starters by all accounts. Thought he carried himself with a bit of the 'I'll absolutely stroll it up here' attitude which we've seen in the past, across the league. Best for all that he moved on. 

Wouldn't have him on Jacob Blyth levels of terrible mind you. Not sure that guy was actually a footballer. 

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Wouldn't have him on Jacob Blyth levels of terrible mind you. Not sure that guy was actually a footballer. 

Maybe Alex Fisher is a better comp. 

Posted (edited)

Wilkinson only stated 7 league matches for us, one of them in midfield and at least a couple of others wide of a front 3.

Yet still managed to chip in with 3 goals and an assist. His goals alone against Hibs, Ross County and Dundee helped us win 5 points this season- a quarter of our total tally so far.

I mean it’s not like we even had to pay him off either or pay part of wages to ship him off on loan. Someone has literally given us money(no matter how small) to take him.

It didn’t work for a multitude of reasons, it happens at levels. All things considered though it certainly wasn’t a disaster either, I’m not sure Nicks Daws needs to be slated over this one.

Edited by Casagolda