Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Let’s get back to the Thunderdome. Batter our way to escaping the trap door. Main and Bair up front would be a sight to behold. 

I think I’ll just go back to gardening on a Saturday afternoon if that’s ever our plan again.

Curtis Main picking up Harry Cochrane and throwing him away is up there on my list of favourite things I've seen.

I have to say I'd definitely take him back if he's available on a deal that worked for all parties. I think he'd be what the management were hoping Obika would be, only with an actual functioning body and as above, Biereth - Main - Theo would be a pretty interesting front 3.

On 04/01/2024 at 17:30, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I know Edinburgh City are a basket case of a club at the minute and it's in the third tier, but given that Robbie Mahon has scored 6 goals in his last 5 games for them and they'll no longer be paying any contribution to his wages (if they ever were), maybe Kettlewell sees him as a cheap option for the bench.

Think he’s already away, going back to Ireland apparently. 

38 minutes ago, Al B said:

I have to say I'd definitely take him back if he's available on a deal that worked for all parties. I think he'd be what the management were hoping Obika would be, only with an actual functioning body and as above, Biereth - Main - Theo would be a pretty interesting front 3.

There's no doubt that has the potential to work but I'm less convinced it would work week in, week out, for us given we'll also want a three at the back right now.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Think he’s already away, going back to Ireland apparently. 

Did he have a contract that ran out at the end of Dec? I mind someone did. maybe that was years ago..

14 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Main in, Obika (and Shaw) out would work. 

We’re definitely in a bad place if Curtis Main coming in is an upgrade on what we have!

With the budget we have available we probably are in a bad place. I don think we will have the money to go after options that on the face of it seem like secure bets.  Do we ever.

Main was very good in the latter stages of his time at St Mirren. There were times that he was pretty good for us also. I genuinely don’t know how well he has done in India but I would take him back. If we were able to shift either Shaw or Obika then that would be a bonus, but since both are or should be (3rd) 4th or 5th choice for us I doubt they are going anywhere. Unless there was a clause for us to send Shaw back down the road which I sadly doubt. 

I'm in the "think he's better than Shaw / Obika but wouldn't spend limited funds on him" camp.

I must say I thought he looked outstanding a few times I saw him for St. Mirren last season, to the point I was thinking what great foil he'd have been for Van Veen in a front two.

He's obviously had a very patchy career, but in his last spell you'd probably say he was effective for 12 of the 18 months? He had his purple patch, then six months of playing beside Sammon, then six months where he done the donkey work for Turnbull, Hastie, Ariyibi etc to get the glory.

I think if we sign him and then spend the rest of the month trying to get a taker for Obika, or begging Barnsley to recall Shaw, then that's a dangerous game.

If the rest of our team was sorted but we were lacking a striker, I'd happily sign him, but considering it's the other way around, I wouldn't.

9 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm in the "think he's better than Shaw / Obika but wouldn't spend limited funds on him" camp.

I must say I thought he looked outstanding a few times I saw him for St. Mirren last season, to the point I was thinking what great foil he'd have been for Van Veen in a front two.

He's obviously had a very patchy career, but in his last spell you'd probably say he was effective for 12 of the 18 months? He had his purple patch, then six months of playing beside Sammon, then six months where he done the donkey work for Turnbull, Hastie, Ariyibi etc to get the glory.

I think if we sign him and then spend the rest of the month trying to get a taker for Obika, or begging Barnsley to recall Shaw, then that's a dangerous game.

If the rest of our team was sorted but we were lacking a striker, I'd happily sign him, but considering it's the other way around, I wouldn't.

Considering our goalkeeper defence and midfield all look weaker it would be mental to be chasing another striker. If we offloaded two wages in obika and Shaw, and that allowed us an extra wage to get Main fair enough. But we can't keep the same defence and midfield by the end of January. 

As i believe the team return to training today I'd hope the eagle eyed chaps who hang around FP's front entrance will have spotted whether Maguire and Beirith are back + any new mystery signings.

Tension city!

Vaguely related to the broad discussion about recruitment, I dipped into Steelmen Online for the first time in months yesterday and noticed someone had posted this quote from Dickie albeit as part of the discussion about the McMahon/Weir exits and the general mis-interpreting of what McMahon's statement about "significant investment" actually meant.

Motherwell are in a "stable condition", insists director Douglas Dickie after chairman Jim McMahon and interim chief executive Derek Weir announced they are to step down.

Dickie also said there is room in the budget for January signings and stressed there are no plans to move away from their fan-owned model.

Asked if boss Stuart Kettlewell would be able to make additions to his squad next month, Dickie replied: "I would imagine there will be some money available for the manager if that's his decision."

Link

Kettlewell had kind of confirmed this in saying that we'd be able to bring in a couple on top of what we already had at the time. It's not quite a repeat of the one in one out situation we had over the summer where it was more about freeing up space in the squad rather than the budget.

Dunno, it feels relevant in terms of the numbers we might be looking to bring in.

Edited by capt_oats

Going from chatting about van Veen coming back to discussing the merits of Curtis Main returning is exactly what I'd expect as we move from the festive period into the dark, depressing early January blues.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Did he have a contract that ran out at the end of Dec? I mind someone did. maybe that was years ago..

Was that not Sam Campbell who got let go the other day?? 

I think Mahon was one of the random ones who was out of contract in the summer then got an extension that the club never acknowledged publicly. 

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Are we honestly thinking Curtis Main is the solution to our problems here, lads? 

I must be losing my mind. 

Not sure our problems lie at that end tbh. I think as mentioned it's a case of folk (myself included) thinking it's be better to see Curtis Main barging about than Shaw absolutely shite himself everytime he has the baw.