Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Talking of Campbells, I see Wee Al is getting bugger-all time on the pitch at Millwall these days.  We couldn't persuade them to lend us him till the end of the season could we?

He's Luton's player so it's them we would need to convince. 

2 hours ago, Marinello said:

As i believe the team return to training today I'd hope the eagle eyed chaps who hang around FP's front entrance will have spotted whether Maguire and Beirith are back + any new mystery signings.

Tension city!

Scott Burns says Biereth will be back as normal so hopefully that's a weight off, unless Maguire is the one you were holding out for.

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

40 minutes of Derek Weir giving an update. Shorter than a Ketts pre match interview. 

So we're trying to recruit a CEO with "No current connection or historical connection with Motherwell.

That's interesting.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Scott Burns says Biereth will be back as normal

That's good news. Watching Arsenal spurn chance after chance after chance yesterday I was starting to worry that Mika was going to get his chance in their first team much sooner than anyone had expected.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

That's good news. Watching Arsenal spurn chance after chance after chance yesterday I was starting to worry that Mika was going to get his chance in their first team much sooner than anyone had expected.

Haha aye, I was the same. Didn't expect to be genuinely concerned a Gabriel Jesus injury might impact our season.

4 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm in the "think he's better than Shaw / Obika but wouldn't spend limited funds on him" camp.

I must say I thought he looked outstanding a few times I saw him for St. Mirren last season, to the point I was thinking what great foil he'd have been for Van Veen in a front two.

He's obviously had a very patchy career, but in his last spell you'd probably say he was effective for 12 of the 18 months? He had his purple patch, then six months of playing beside Sammon, then six months where he done the donkey work for Turnbull, Hastie, Ariyibi etc to get the glory.

I think if we sign him and then spend the rest of the month trying to get a taker for Obika, or begging Barnsley to recall Shaw, then that's a dangerous game.

If the rest of our team was sorted but we were lacking a striker, I'd happily sign him, but considering it's the other way around, I wouldn't.

Get what you are saying but I’d say it’s very difficult to recruit chronologically based on need. I think we could find a taker for one of Obika or Shaw on loan so if Main wants to come back then fine by me.

I still think we could do with some flair and having watched Mckinstray on Friday night for QP I can’t shake the feeling that we missed a trick with not resigning the boy. Though it could be that Ketts was knocked back on funds I suppose. 

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

So we're trying to recruit a CEO with "No current connection or historical connection with Motherwell.

That's interesting.

Not watched that video yet but I like that idea I think - connections to the club can be more of a hinderance than a help I think. Certainly clouded the judgement of some of our previous leaders and supporting board, in my opinion.

49 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

40 minutes of Derek Weir giving an update. Shorter than a Ketts pre match interview. 

I'm only up to the start of the pyro chat but on the whole that's a good update.

The fact that it's pretty clearly taken various articles in the press to prompt it maybe undermines the idea that our media and comms is absolutely fine but beyond that it at least addresses the main issues and I'll not lie I got a laugh at yer man clamping the boy who was Tweeting comparing our costs with Killie.

As @thisGRAEME says, interesting to hear that that we're looking at appointing a CEO with no current or historical connection with Motherwell and tbh, it's interesting to hear how the original recruitment process played out.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As @thisGRAEME says, interesting to hear that that we're looking at appointing a CEO with no current or historical connection with Motherwell and tbh, it's interesting to hear how the original recruitment process played out.

For some, that’s part of a hidden agenda. Interested to see what the fresh input on Society Board can effect in that situation.

Good update. Mostly common sense stuff, and some reassurances (which were also pretty common sense) that could have been helpful a while back.

Not looking forward to our quirky fundraising video though.

A decent update from Derek Weir. Certainly helps to answer some of the questions surrounding CEO interview process, pitch and JH stand  investment. Also the details around the costs bases are interesting. So it is almost exactly a 50/50 split between playing budget and all other costs. I would certainly have assumed a higher cost on the playing side. 

I think he comes across just fine. Whether you believe everything it is good to know that most things are functioning quite well. 

In reality our costs are rising out of whack with funds available. Short of cup runs, player transfers etc we obviously do need outside investment in addition to the Well Society. It is hard to gauge from that interview whether that is in place or not. Sounds like there are interested parties but they have not committed to funds / investment or even if they have any of that available. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Scott Burns says Biereth will be back as normal

Thank f**k, with the Main chat I had the fear we were lining up a 'like for like' replacement.

(baldy for baldy).