Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ll always associate Lamie with making error after error in the first half of that covid season where we seemed to give away a thousand penalties. I just couldn’t fully take to him or Bevis after that. 

He seems to have done ok a Dundee so good luck to him.

I always thought he was a donkey prior to him playing for us. He's still very much the poor man's, left footed Joe Shaughnessy but he's did alright for us. I'd have liked to have seen us aim to replace him in the squad for next season with better but he's been a nice, steadying presence for us at the back. Comfortable with passing it out and decently mobile. Just one of those players you need if you want to consistently be a middling top flight side I suppose.

28 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We paid a fee for Slattery right? 

He hasn’t quite kicked on unfortunately after a promising start to this season. Blooming shame for him if he is out long term. 

Would insurance money cover his wages so we can get a replacement? I don’t know how those things work.

It depends on the details but yes, there's a decent chance we'll have him insured for this albeit I'd be surprised if for the full wage.

Obviously terrible news for him and not great for us, as inconsistent as he is. You would assume a contract extension now makes sense for both parties.

Re Lamie, he often wasn't quite as bad as some like to make out but getting him off the books permanently is undeniably positive. Though I suppose given he's away for the season before being out of contract, a PCA makes little practical difference.

14 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Re Lamie, he often wasn't quite as bad as some like to make out but getting him off the books permanently is undeniably positive. Though I suppose given he's away for the season before being out of contract, a PCA makes little practical difference.

If we wanted to be arseholes about it, assuming the PCA is announced during the window, we could follow St Mirren's lead and recall him in the way they rinsed St Johnstone for £75k or whatever it was for Cammy MacPherson.

@RandomGuy. will know the details of that better than me.

I believe the last time the Dundee/Lamie thing happened they tried to heavy lean us to make it permanent during January which we (clearly) knocked back. I think it was Alexander who said at the time "we didn't need another bag of balls".

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If we wanted to be arseholes about it, assuming the PCA is announced during the window, we could follow St Mirren's lead and recall him in the way they rinsed St Johnstone for £75k or whatever it was for Cammy MacPherson.

Well aye but that would leave us paying his wage, no doubt overinflated following his heroics in April-May 22. I suspect Dundee won't have to be poker champions to call our bluff on that one!

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

@RandomGuy. will know the details of that better than me.

We made the mistake of simultaneously agreeing to a loan deal that could be ended without our permission, publicly having a manager outright say we were going to offer MacPherson a PCA, as a club informing St Mirren MacPherson had accepted a PCA, and then added the manager talking about how important MacPherson was going to be in our vital relegation battle.

Id love to call St Mirren arseholes over it but there was really little option for them other to exploit all of that considering they'd developed MacPherson for so long and weren't going to get any compensation from the PCA.

Reflecting on this week, I cannot help but feel this move is deeply misguided.

I’m not a believer in accountants running businesses and I believe that this week shows exactly why.

By Weir and McMahons own admission, they went to an agency to do a campaign with a brief. What they know deeply (and I’m sure very competently is finance and governance) but both have said they don’t ‘really get the whole communication and marketing part’.

What that very likely means is that the brief to the agency will have been metrics based (on numbers) rather than based on messaging or perception, so you end up with an external marketing agency doing something with the brief but no meaningful guidance - perception is reality and to many of our fans, I’m sure that the perception has been far from positive.

I agree that sole fan ownership doesn’t work btw and it needs some external investment but the way it has been handled is utterly tone deaf and goes completely against the previous core messaging of the community club.
It’s like a couple of years ago, we put out endless marketing around the emergence of  youth in turnbull, Campbell, hastie etc then proceeded to sell them off within 6/8 months.

For me, from top to bottom, There’s no overarching vision but again - be it a Director of football or indeed general management - we’ve lurched from pillar to post on and off the park and that’s simply down to a lack of vision.

Let’s also face it. Any investor coming in who may want let’s say (49%) of the club will have a big say in the CEO and who runs the business. Any wish to sell or gain major investment should and must be tied to whoever will come on board as CEO especially as McMahon and Weir won’t be around.

It’s incredibly poorly handled.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

ld love to call St Mirren arseholes over it but there was really little option for them other to exploit all of that considering they'd developed MacPherson for so long and weren't going to get any compensation from the PCA.

Go for it

11 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I'd pass on Penney with the way he left (unhappy in Scotland) and the above tweet, we don't need to be people's last choice (twice).

You were the first club that popped into my head when i seen Adam Montgomery was back at Celtic to be loaned out again, tbh.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

Hold on a minute - is this video thing actually just a massive diversion because we've not signed any players?

Indeed. With Casey, Miller and Slattery all out and Butcher unreliable Maguire and McGinley might end up needing to play! 

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ll always associate Lamie with making error after error in the first half of that covid season where we seemed to give away a thousand penalties. I just couldn’t fully take to him or Bevis after that. 

He seems to have done ok for Dundee so good luck to him.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I always thought he was a donkey prior to him playing for us. He's still very much the poor man's, left footed Joe Shaughnessy but he's did alright for us. I'd have liked to have seen us aim to replace him in the squad for next season with better but he's been a nice, steadying presence for us at the back. Comfortable with passing it out and decently mobile. Just one of those players you need if you want to consistently be a middling top flight side I suppose.

As @Gianfranco he was absolutely murder for us when Robinson signed him. I'm maybe being unfair but I've always thought he has an issue with complacency and as I've said before based on some of the stuff he's said publicly he seemed to view himself as a first pick whilst his performances suggested otherwise.

His uptick in performance when Alexander came in post-Robinson had the energy of someone trying to prove a point to a new manager and his form seemed to dip again the season after he signed his extension (although there's every chance that's explained by Hammell getting the job). In that respect it'll be interesting to see how his performances go at Dundee once his move becomes permanent and whether he gets complacent and lapses again.

We've been talking a fair bit on here recently about the idea of the culture of the club with us losing players like Lasley, Hammell through to Aldred, Hartley, Tait and Campbell: players who'd come in, set standards and elevate those around them.

When Lamie came in as part of our apparent 'Friends of Declan' signing policy it kind of felt like he was the opposite of what we needed as far as club 'culture' goes.

We put this video out not long after he signed and...dunne the vibes just seemed off from the start IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

I said on Twitter/X I'd tell Penney to f**k off. Hanging on to be his back up is baws. 

Gent is fine in there and we really need to look at a RB. 

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I said on Twitter/X I'd tell Penney to f**k off. Hanging on to be his back up is baws. 

Gent is fine in there and we really need to look at a RB. 

Absolutely. He made no secret of the fact that he never enjoyed being up here the first time, no way should we allow ourselves just to be somewhere he pitches up again, against his real will, just because no-one else is giving him a wage. ( a la Mr Long).

I'd be all for Furlong though, if the opportunity presented itself.