Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Mika was a great signing that I was happy with when we made it and it has been successful purely on the numbers - but it does show the risk of signing your main forward as a development loan from the EPL. On one hand you get a player that you couldn't otherwise afford/attract - on the other, you can be kicked squarely in the baws in the way we're apparently about to witness. 

Only slight upside is that it's early enough in the window that we can get someone else in without a total panic.

This is kind of the way I'm looking at it as well.

I mean, for me the positive is that we actually identified and signed him in the first place (yes we've since signed Oli Shaw et al) but you'd hope that if we've been given a steer that this might have been a possibility then we might have some sort of an alternative identified. It's been well covered but we've a decent track record of bringing in strikers - even the bold Curtis Main did us a proper turn short term when he replaced Moult.

Who knows maybe there's some other wonderkid just kicking their heels around London Colney.

I guess the problem is that making that signing is probably much easier in the summer than it is in January and we really need this one to make an immediate impact it feels like it's much higher risk and it also needs the board to actually back the manager since the policy they've put in place of trimming the numbers the way they have has been, respectfully, counter-productive.

Was about to say Alex Schalk but he's just signed for Den Haag. 

This season is a binfire and I think it's only right that we do the sensible thing... blame the fucking shite away kit. Everything was fine before it turned up. 

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

The chat I've heard from some Hibee mates is that KVV is in with them right now.

Im not even joking when i say Hibs fans are convinced theyre signing every player theyve ever heard of every window.

We had rakes of them telling us every window for about 5 years that theyd signed Jason Kerr.

7 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

This season is a binfire and I think it's only right that we do the sensible thing... blame the fucking shite away kit. Everything was fine before it turned up. 

The start really screwed up the narrative for me. Everyone and their granny said this would be a tough season, settle for 10th, balance the budget and start afresh. And if had been attritional from the start, I doubt there'd be the same level of moping now.

So I'm taking my usual(ish) position of saying things are not as good as they appear when we're good and not as bad as they appear when we're bad. 

This season has indeed been a binfire yet we're not in the bottom two, we're probably in the next round of the cup and we still have two weeks to improve the squad... there's still time to make this another 'job done' season if nothing else.

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

I know it's highly unlikely we're going to sign KVV anyway but am I the only one thinking he possibly hit a purple patch with us and he's more likely to be the slightly off the pace, huffy bugger version?

I don’t think any sensible fan is looking for him to re - create his March to May 23 streak. 

However I reckon he would be good for 6/7 goals for the remainder of this  season and that could be the difference between finishing 8th and finishing 11th or worse.

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

This season has indeed been a binfire yet we're not in the bottom two, we're probably in the next round of the cup and we still have two weeks to improve the squad... there's still time to make this another 'job done' season if nothing else.

Oh aye, I like to be optimistic about us and keep the heed, but losing two of our better players this week (one confirmed) has been/will be a blow and makes this yet another crucial and probably expensive January window. 

We're certainly no the only team having a binfire in the league at this moment, so we can 100 per cent make this another 'job done' season. 

Tbh I'd always had this fear about Mika as soon as it became apparent he was really fucking good. With English clubs being only allowed five cross-border loans or whatever it is it's probably increasingly unlikely we hold on to anyone that Championship or League One clubs want, considering it might then get in the way of them loaning a Tierney to Sociedad or whoever. 

Personally hope Mika goes on to have a career at a very decent level and that Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday are liquidated.

If any form of KVV came back there would be a few games of the opposition putting two defenders on the big Dutch shagger and leaving Theo to score at will.  Would the points gathered in this period save our season?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

If any form of KVV came back there would be a few games of the opposition putting two defenders on the big Dutch shagger and leaving Theo to score at will.  Would the points gathered in this period save our season?

That, plus any version of the Beardy Weirdy
A - scores any and all absolute sitters that Oli Shaw would have missed from half a yard out
B - moves Oli Shaw further down the list

My maw's an Arsenal fan but if they take Mika off us I might give serious consideration to smashing her Arsenal gnome

Bookmarking this page for 4 months time. 

This Oli Shaw slander will be great reading after hes slipping in a 86th minute winner against United in a play-off win over them and led to Goodwins head exploding.

Keep Mika.

Sign Kev.

Sign Wee Al.

Get James Scott back to guarantee wins against St. Mirren.

Re-Sign Ross MacLean and put him on the bench for the final.

Win the cup.

Stop being shite.

It's really very simple.

6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know it's highly unlikely we're going to sign KVV anyway but am I the only one thinking he possibly hit a purple patch with us and he's more likely to be the slightly off the pace, huffy bugger version?

I fully expect him to rock up at someone else in Scotland and be utter dugmeat.

Wee Al back on loan to reignite his career would be quite the injury cover for Slattery.

7 hours ago, fat_tony said:

I fully expect him to rock up at someone else in Scotland and be utter dugmeat.

Groningen said he returned unfit from his break in Scotland and is now training with their reserves or youths.

As much as they'll obviously want to recoup as much of his wages as possible, they're essentially throwing good money after bad on him - at least for the next six months - to the extent that even saving 20-50% is now a gain.

I'd be amazed if he's not back in Scotland on loan, north of England at a push, by the end of the window. Whether we win that particular battle, and even if we should be involved at all, is a different matter mind.