Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Marinello said:

Could be regretting parting ways with Wilkinson.

I liked Wilkinson, but no.  Wrong player at the wrong club at the wrong time.  Let's not rewrite history here.

I've said for years - since 2015 basically - that I don't fear relegation.  I'm fairly certain it will happen someday, but unless we pull something magical of our arse this month, it's very likely to happen this season.  

Just now, wellboy1991 said:

I know he is not everyone’s favourite player but what’s happening with Ross Tierney. Can we recall him to at least give us another attacking option? 

Depending on how he has been doing down south, I dont think that would be the worst option. 

If we cant get a replacement for Biereth then we are basically going to have Bair or Obika up front on their own. We would surely need to change the system to get support to them. Spittal and Tierney either side or with Paton in a 3 just in behind.

Desperate times and all that.

3 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Could be regretting parting ways with Wilkinson.

Kind of get that. He obviously wasn’t liked by a fair few of our fans but it’s clear he knew where the net was. Our only two natural scorers gone. 

However easier to replace Wilkinson than Biereth that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Depending on how he has been doing down south, I dont think that would be the worst option. 

If we cant get a replacement for Biereth then we are basically going to have Bair or Obika up front on their own. We would surely need to change the system to get support to them. Spittal and Tierney either side or with Paton in a 3 just in behind.

Desperate times and all that.

Yip that’s my thoughts. We need some more creativity and he might offer it. Might…… 

Our attacking options look extremely threadbare and the lad Ferrie returns from an uninspiring spell at Stenny. Had hopes for him but what I have seen, heard he doesn’t look ready at all for the first team. 

Christ, we're really going to need to nail this window if we want to have a chance of staying up.

Losing 3 starters in Biereth, Spencer and Slattery and a decent squad option in Wilkinson is less than ideal when we already had a thin squad anyway. We're probably going to need 5(?) signings that can all contribute pretty much straight away. A big couple of weeks ahead!

8 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Kind of get that. He obviously wasn’t liked by a fair few of our fans but it’s clear he knew where the net was. Our only two natural scorers gone. 

However easier to replace Wilkinson than Biereth that’s for sure. 

This is a large part of our current problem. We're more likely to get someone on a par with Wilkinson than Biereth. 

Like others, I don't think Wilkinson was as bad as a lot of our fans made out. However, if he was still here I wouldn't be thinking that with Biereth away at least we still have Wilkinson. 

Feels like we either push to boat out for KVV or accept we're finishing in the bottom 2.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

This is a large part of our current problem. We're more likely to get someone on a par with Wilkinson than Biereth. 

Like others, I don't think Wilkinson was as bad as a lot of our fans made out. However, if he was still here I wouldn't be thinking that with Biereth away at least we still have Wilkinson. 

Feels like we either push to boat out for KVV or accept we're finishing in the bottom 2.

Yip agree with that. 

Another concern I have is that we now need to spend our budget on strikers and a right wing back when we should have been looking to try and strengthen the defence which has been a major cause of our issues this year. 

Second half of the season will be watching same calamity’s at the back with a newer and potential less dangersous striker force. 

How many 1st team players that we signed in the summer window aren't here at the end of the January version - 4? That must be close to a record and probably points to a wider issue... 

Just now, Allroy for Prez said:

This isn’t the time for calm heads.

Of course it is, you think panicking will help?

We clearly have a tonne of work to do and until our efforts there are complete there's no point in being too ott.

It's repeated all the time that the standard in Scotland is miserable, 10th is by no means beyond us.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

How many 1st team players that we signed in the summer window aren't here at the end of the January version - 4? That must be close to a record and probably points to a wider issue... 

indeed. An absolute shambles in every area where it counts on and off the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Of course it is, you think panicking will help?

We clearly have a tonne of work to do and until our efforts there are complete there's no point in being too ott.

It's repeated all the time that the standard in Scotland is miserable, 10th is by no means beyond us.

That was meant as a joke. 

Reading Kettlewell's comments from the presser I think a major problem for us now is that naive as it may be it doesn't look like we've seen this coming so I'm guessing we're not best placed to deal with it,

Essentially it sounds like we had the discussion last week and were told by Arsenal that the plan was for Biereth to see out the season with us and we've taken them on their word in good faith.

"Mika has been recalled. It's been a difficult one for us over the last 24 hours. It's a major, major disappointment.

"This was a little bit unexpected. The conversation was that Mika would stay here until the end of the season just last week unless something big came on the table for Arsenal that they couldn't turn down.

"They believe there's an opportunity to send him to another club that takes him that step beyond where we are just now."

Link

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Reading Kettlewell's comments from the presser I think a major problem for us now is that naive as it may be it doesn't look like we've seen this coming so I'm guessing we're not best placed to deal with it,

Essentially it sounds like we had the discussion last week and were told by Arsenal that the plan was for Biereth to see out the season with us and we've taken them on their word in good faith.

Yip that’s how I interpreted it tbh. However you would think a recruitment and management team worth their weight would have options lined up just in case right… right.