Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I see Halliday as a solid but boring signing, he will do a job.  I will also give Barry Maguire a clean slate, he has played for two teams since he did anything significant for us.  It’s up to Barry to impress.

On 17/01/2024 at 16:56, Busta Nut said:

Just sturm-ing up some interest in the Alloa game, even if I got my days mixed up

Shoe telt me this the other day

1 hour ago, 21maxwell said:

I find it interesting the 2 players he brought in play in positions of Gent and Davor and it's well documented he would not play them unless he really had to.

My fear for tomorrow is, we'll see Spittal RWB, as he'll see it as an attack overload game and Spittal's deliveries will be effective from there in Kettlewell's eyes.

Tbf, I think Spittal at either WB position has been last resort stuff rather than a 4D chess tactical tombola.

Assuming Butcher isn't still crippled and Kettlewell's apparent belief that Montgomery and Gent can play in the same team then based on what we apparently have available I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this tomorrow with Halliday coming off the bench given he's only played 29 mins of league football this season and hasn't been on the park for Hearts since 1st November.

lineup.png.34eaf05b46830aa7a2c001f631dc9b79.png

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I think Spittal at either WB position has been last resort stuff rather than a 4D chess tactical tombola.

Assuming Butcher isn't still crippled and Kettlewell's apparent belief that Montgomery and Gent can play in the same team then based on what we apparently have available I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this tomorrow with Halliday coming off the bench given he's only played 29 mins of league football this season and hasn't been on the park for Hearts since 1st November.

lineup.png.34eaf05b46830aa7a2c001f631dc9b79.png

That's the XI i suggested to a mate the other day...it's more what I think SK will pick that what I'd like - I'd give obika a start beside bair and play Spittal as 10. I'd only have one of the lwbs starting but I suspect SK's throwaway comment was a hint.

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Young Logan Dunachie has looked very comfortable at right back tonight against Aberdeen.

Yeah, by all accounts he’s been one of the bright spots in a shit season for Clyde. Been talked up quite a few times by CGT on The Terrace lower league pods as someone who could take a step up. 

With @capt_oats showing Gent in that role. 

@crazylegsjoe_mfc and I had a bit of a look at this after he apparently played there in a friendly,  We surmised that Gent will play there pretty decently against lowly Alloa and we'll persist with this all the remainder of the season where it will clearly not work

Hes re-writing history a bit with us there, which maybe isnt too surprising.

Saying he never got a chance to play regularly for us is a half truth, as he started 6 of our first 8 games last season, and one of the ones he missed was with an injury, and done absolutely nothing worth sticking with in any of them.

Fair fucks to him for not looking hopeless at Motherwell, and this is more of a general rant than a Bair-centric one, but i never think it bodes well when players start blaming others for their failures when it really themselves.

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

Is that supposed to be him signing his loan deal? A bit odd when surely it's just worked out between the clubs. 

There was talk before of English clubs being limited to 5 cross-border loan deals which made me think 'fair enough, Mika potentially prevents a deal for a first team player from Germany or Spain'. But no, this deal shows I was being too kind in giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes re-writing history a bit with us there, which maybe isnt too surprising.

Saying he never got a chance to play regularly for us is a half truth, as he started 6 of our first 8 games last season, and one of the ones he missed was with an injury, and done absolutely nothing worth sticking with in any of them.

Fair fucks to him for not looking hopeless at Motherwell, and this is more of a general rant than a Bair-centric one, but i never think it bodes well when players start blaming others for their failures when it really themselves.

Was Bair a Davidson or Grieve signing?

My read on it is that, from the outside he seemed to fall into that group of players who Davidson wrote off pretty quickly or didn't really know what to do with when he got them and couldn't be arsed trying to make it work. Were Mahon and Cleary not in the same sort of boat?

Whether that was part of that odd pissing contest that seemed to be going on in the background around that time IDK.

It kind of feels like the "chance" he's got here is really down to the manager actually having a bit of belief in him (whereas Davidson didn't) and also circumstances falling in his favour a bit given all four of our other strikers have had significant injuries since he's been at the club; Wilkinson (calf), Biereth (knee), Obika (hamstring), Shaw (hamstring).

Vaguely related, given the bold Thelonius wasn't exactly I noticed this last night when I was doom scrolling, it's quite a well worn trope and there’s definitely an expectation vs reality issue but it did make me wonder:

Edited by capt_oats

One of my pals has said he saw some speculation that Oli Shaw may be away or about to leave the club. I guess if he is injured I assume we would be able to cut any loan deal short as happens the other way with Biereth recall.

Leave us VERY light up front if true even if he did not make a great impact or any sort of impact. His miss when he was thought on goal in his debut probably sums up his impact.  That goes in it may have been different. He did have the assist for late equaliser v Dundee or Ross C if I recall. Hey ho nothing official.

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

One of my pals has said he saw some speculation that Oli Shaw may be away or about to leave the club. I guess if he is injured I assume we would be able to cut any loan deal short as happens the other way with Biereth recall.

Leave us VERY light up front if true even if he did not make a great impact or any sort of impact. His miss when he was thought on goal in his debut probably sums up his impact.  That goes in it may have been different. He did have the assist for late equaliser v Dundee or Ross C if I recall. Hey ho nothing official.

We might be forced to recreate Levein's 4-6-0 line up at this rate!

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I'd save the cash and put it in the KVV/Bitcoin fund.