Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think it's a bold prediction to say Paton is heading towards the bench rather than the XI regardless of whether we revert to 3-5-2 or continue with 5-4-1/3-6-1 shenanigans.

Other than being Kettlewell's favourite wee fitba player in all of the shires I think you are probably right. 

First choice 3 is currently: Miller, Spittal and Davor

First choice 4: is Miller, Spittal, Davor and Gent in that behind striker role.

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Other than being Kettlewell's favourite wee fitba player in all of the shires I think you are probably right. 

First choice 3 is currently: Miller, Spittal and Davor

First choice 4: is Miller, Spittal, Davor and Gent in that behind striker role.

Do you not think Halliday will start in midfield once he is fully up to speed ? 

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'm another in the "I think Nouble needs a change of scenery" club and there's a reasonable chance he could do us a turn in the right circumstances.

Either way, I know Livi are skint and have these court cases coming up so it's very much a beggars can't be choosers situation but I'd imagine that their preference would be not to sell him to a club in the same league (ie: us) if they have offers from EFL1 - which it seems they do and judging by their forum Exeter are increasingly desperate.

Anyway, see if Livi are taking 'nominal' offers for their players can we not chuck them some change for Stephen Kelly seeing as Hearts have taken Fraser off the table?

Apparently 'nominal' according to Martindale amounts to 100k + add ons + 15% sell on. So there's the fee that's up for discussion.

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently 'nominal' according to Martindale amounts to 100k + add ons + 15% sell on. So there's the fee that's up for discussion.

Aye. I'd be surprised if we'd go for that.

Our 'nominal' fees have generally in the 5 figure area. Trevor Carson is probably the best £10k we've ever spent.

Although, having said that we did manage to cumulatively spend £500k on an assortment of players during Alexander's season in charge. However the approach from the board was very different at that point.

Reading the article Burns posted it really just said that we were interested (not that we'd bid) and tbh that sounds about right. I can imagine we've had a conversation but having had a swatch at Exeter's forum (off the back of the weird chat about them being interested in Thelonius Bair) they seem to be in a position to chuck a bit of money and do a deal like that.

As I say, I'd be surprised if, given the choice, Livi would be up for selling to us - a league rival - vs an EFL club

Edited by capt_oats

22 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

A timely reminder of just how bad some of our players are individually. Bair, Mugabi and O’Donnell in particular. Bair might have been isolated but Gent put in about 6 crosses than even an average striker might have gambled on and made a run or chucked himself at. I can’t handle watching him a second longer. I’m struggling to think of a worse striker we’ve had to endure.

We need a right back, a centre half and 2 strikers or we are down. Quite possibly not even winning another game in the process.

John Hendry

Edited by Eliphas Pettigrew

33 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

10k and 50% sell on if you wish

5 minutes ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

John Hendry

Ffs.

I remember a general hum of excitement and expectation at the time as we were signing someone from Spurs. Fucking loooool. What a fucking imposter that laddie was.

As has been said, he was brought in as a project not a starter and, rough as he may be, Bair is still far from the worst we have had given returns over expectations.

Don't really know why folk are even debating this, Bair has been absolutely fine for us. He was important in our best run of the season so far and has started adding some crucial goals in recent weeks. Where would we be without his recent goals against Hibs and Livi?  

Would it be fair to say he's a bit hot or cold? Absolutely. 

'One of the worst' forwards we've had? Gee's peace. Inaccurate and a desperate attempt at scapegoating. 

Edited by MurrayWell

12 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Don't really know why folk are even debating this, Bair has been absolutely fine for us. He was important in our best run of the season so far and has started adding some crucial goals in recent weeks. Where would we be without his recent goals against Hibs and Livi?  

'One of the worst' forwards we've had? Gee's peace. Inaccurate and a desperate attempt at scapegoating. 

He is quite the enigma.

One minute he takes the ball down dribbles the ball towards goal fends off several opposition players and gets a shot off. The next he misplaces a five yard pass or fails to control a simple pass.

On the face of it he has been a solid signing. I hope he can kick on. I guess it all depends who we bring in over the next 10 days. Either way he likely to be the 2nd or 3rd choice striker in the pecking order. I would be a wee bit concerned if he was our out and out number 1 striker. 

Edited by welldaft

33 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Bair isn't even in the top 3 of worst strikers this season

I’d agree with that actually. He can at least stay fit!

All signed by Kettlewell. Quite a collection to amass in his first transfer window. 

18 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

We must be watching a different different player.

That’s the beauty of football I suppose.

Bair has been absolutely fine for us, and definitely better than I expected he’d be.
He’s probably played more than both we and him expected, but for a guy who was brought in as 3rd/4th choice striker (and likely on buttons wage-wise) to have 5 goals and 2 assists by the winter break is good going. 

In 14 starts this season he's had seven goal contributions (five goals and two assists).

Better pass accuracy for us than Biereth had too. (Not that I'm saying he's better than Mika, just to be clear)

So aye, we must be watching a different player...

Edited by MurrayWell

15 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Folk are aware that we have a contractual agreement with Oli Shaw, yes?

Had, apparently. Seems like we have terminated the agreement as he is currently injured and wouldn't be able to play.

Also heres the draw numbers for the cup. On bbc Scotland soon.

20240121_185857.jpg

Edited by Phillips455

I dunno if I'm just swinging too far towards the positive end of the spectrum to overcompensate but with all the upheaval of the last few seasons I'd be pretty happy to have somebody like Bair hanging about for another few years. He's never going to be your main #9 that you hang your hat on but as a squad option or a foil for another striker I'll take him over gambling on an Oli Shaw, Connor Shields, Joe Efford or Harry Smith every single season.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I dunno if I'm just swinging too far towards the positive end of the spectrum to overcompensate but with all the upheaval of the last few seasons I'd be pretty happy to have somebody like Bair hanging about for another few years. He's never going to be your main #9 that you hang your hat on but as a squad option or a foil for another striker I'll take him over gambling on an Oli Shaw, Connor Shields, Joe Efford or Harry Smith every single season.

He is Ryan Bowman but not quite as free with his elbows