Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A bit harsh. He was very good in his first season for us but unfortunately by end of his time with us it was obvious that the right choice was for him to move on. Always thought it was a strange choice for Motherwell to go for him as he suffered a really bad injury after leaving us.

There's context to that as well - we signed him (initially) because Mandron was injured after his first game and we were left scrambling late in the window for a vague approximation. He was actually announced after the window had closed.

Basically if Mandron doesn't get injured then we probably don't sign Obika.

Quite why we chose to extend his deal is less clear - especially after he'd also picked up another hamstring injury during his initial spell - although I expect it might have something to do with him having done well in that role on the occasions he'd made it on to the park along with being willing to accept whatever terms we were offering.

Edited by capt_oats

Whilst watching St Johnstone v Aberdeen. St Johnstone have been quite decent and just smacked one off the bar at the death !

Looked at respective squad sizes of those teams around us. This is 1st team squad from Wiki and looks fairly accurate and up to date.

St Johnstone = 31 players

Livingston = 27 Players

Ross County = 25 players

Motherwell = 21 players. 

You would like to think we still have another 4 players to join up to at least take us to Ross C levels. Who will probably still add a couple more before the deadline. 

Of course the average wages could be quite different but that is some gap in available resource between ourselves and the Perth Saints 🤔.

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Whilst watching St Johnstone v Aberdeen. St Johnstone have been quite decent and just smacked one off the bar at the death !

Looked at respective squad sizes of those teams around us. This is 1st team squad from Wiki and looks fairly accurate and up to date.

Livingston = 27 Players

Ross County = 25 players

Motherwell = 21 players. 

You would like to think we still have another 4 players to join up to at least take us to Ross C levels. Who will probably still add a couple more before the deadline. 

Of course the average wages could be quite different but that is some gap in available resource between ourselves and the Perth Saints 🤔.

Don't particularly think St J played well, both teams were absolutely pish imo.

St Johnstone certainly not afraid of committing a few fouls.

Fully expecting Saturday to be an awful game seperated by a goal.

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Don't particularly think St J played well, both teams were absolutely pish imo.

St Johnstone certainly not afraid of committing a few fouls.

Fully expecting Saturday to be an awful game seperated by a goal.

They were a lot better in the second half. Both teams were rank in the 1st half. They were very cynical in the last 15 minutes but they were actually all good fouls that stopped certain breakaways. At least 3 or 4 times no less. 

They also have a selection of forwards to choose from. What a novelty. Could come back to haunt us……

Edited by welldaft

Just now, welldaft said:

They were a lot better in the second half. Both teams were rank in the 1st half. They were very cynical in the last 15 minutes but they were actually all good fouls that stopped certain breakaways. At least 3 or 4 times no less. 

They also have a selection of forwards to choose from. What a novelty. Could come back to haunt us……

Only diddy teams have options up front.

9 hours ago, welldaft said:

Livingston = 27 Players

Ross County = 25 players

Motherwell = 21 players. 

I think a 23-strong senior squad is absolutely fine, assuming there's a couple of youths who can handle a few minutes. The teams with high 20s or even 30s have so not because of good planning but they fucked it and need to hit the credit card/next season's budget to have a chance of survival.

If we're spending the money we have and not being naughty, senior guys who are considered the 23rd man in our squad plus are generally going to be Obika/Shaw levels of nobody else wanting them. If there's a mental injury crisis, freebies can still be picked up, if not, I'd save the cash rather than padding excessively.

9 hours ago, welldaft said:

Livingston = 27 Players

Ross County = 25 players

Motherwell = 21 players. 

Worth mentioning we've currently got 4 players completely frozen out as they've been told they can leave (Brown, Ballantyne  Crawford, Jephcott), 1 whos allowed to go if they can agree terms on either a loan or transfer (May), and a loanee whos away once fitness issues are cleared (Turner-Cooke).

Sure its been mentioned that once the decks are cleared its a 1 in, 1 out scenario as ~24 players is seen as ideal.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think a 23-strong senior squad is absolutely fine, assuming there's a couple of youths who can handle a few minutes. The teams with high 20s or even 30s have so not because of good planning but they fucked it and need to hit the credit card/next season's budget to have a chance of survival.

If we're spending the money we have and not being naughty, senior guys who are considered the 23rd man in our squad plus are generally going to be Obika/Shaw levels of nobody else wanting them. If there's a mental injury crisis, freebies can still be picked up, if not, I'd save the cash rather than padding excessively.

Aye.

In his 40 minute interview I think Weir said something along the lin es of the gap between where we were and an appropriate spend was the equivalent of shedding 4 or 5 first team players. Which sounds drastic but the reality is we probably managed to go some way to achieving that by simply opting out of the Reserves League (which was a farce of a league anyway).

When you look at the number of bodies we've generally carried whether it was Robinson, Alexander or Hammell we've invariably had 25, 26, 27 or even 28 - so it's kind of been normalised but the question is/was why these extra bodies were actually there. What were they actually contributing?

Clearly it's easy to be wise after the fact but it doesn't necessarily mean it should be ignored as a point.

In that respect this season has been a bit of an eye opener in terms of what I assume is historic wastage.

How much value did we actually get from the Petravicius, George Newell, Christy Manzinga and Christian Ilic's of the world?

Robinson's approach of just piling hats on top of hats then cutting them loose at the end of the season contributed to the culture of player turnover we've seen and tbh, without wanting to invoke the Candyman, casting a glance over towards Paisley he's still at it.

Clearly the Covid season was just weird and we had a ludicrously large squad as a result of injuries - I think by the time Alexander got his feet under the desk we had a 35 man first team squad which the subsequent accounts cited an extra £500k spend as a result of the January trolley dash for the likes of Big Weird Harry and erm...Eddie Nolan.

I'd still argue that being overly strict about caps and limiting the manager is something of a false economy if we have funds kicking about but equally it's been interesting to see how efficient we've been in terms of getting players out (especially in light of @RandomGuy.'s point about their squad size and the number of players they're trying to shift).

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I guess the argument is would you rather be going into a crucial 6 pointer with an inflated squad that you need to offload a few players like St J (as per RG points) or a threadbare squad with one fit forward. You could argue the merits, but the simple fact is that right now St J have a lot more options and depth available.  Clearly some of this has to do with Arsenal being Arseholes and recalling Biereth with little or no warning and us getting 8 players out the door with 4 coming in. 

As I said before we will have saved some money over the piece with the size of our squad or made sure we are right around budget. 

Hopefully we can secure at least 2 decent forwards before the window closes and bed them in asap.

57 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I guess the argument is would you rather be going into a crucial 6 pointer with an inflated squad that you need to offload a few players like St J (as per RG points) or a threadbare squad with one fit forward. You could argue the merits, but the simple fact is that right now St J have a lot more options and depth available.  Clearly some of this has to do with Arsenal being Arseholes and recalling Biereth with little or no warning and us getting 8 players out the door with 4 coming in. 

As I said before we will have saved some money over the piece with the size of our squad or made sure we are right around budget. 

Hopefully we can secure at least 2 decent forwards before the window closes and bed them in asap.

Long-term you're definitely better being threadbare for a few games, even if it costs you over one 90 minutes.

St Johnstone, according to the above, are currently paying several folk who are persona non grata so they're hardly likely to impact the game. And yes, there's a chance their senior option 25 might contribute but the likelihood of that in comparison to a kid from us doing likewise (Ross v Dundee etc) certainly doesn't justify the expense to me.

It's been mentioned before that there's a reason why surviving a terrible season often just delays the inevitable and that's you need to repay how you bought yourself out of trouble to begin with. Of course, if it's that or go down it's a risk you need to try, like we did in previous Januarys, but it should be avoided if at all possible.

I would argue that in our particular circumstances, spending wildly to secure 10th is wrong. With 12th probably gone, we should spend to have a chance of 10th while being confident in the playoff, which is more likely to see us avoid this scenario next season.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Long-term you're definitely better being threadbare for a few games, even if it costs you over one 90 minutes.

St Johnstone, according to the above, are currently paying several folk who are persona non grata so they're hardly likely to impact the game. And yes, there's a chance their senior option 25 might contribute but the likelihood of that in comparison to a kid from us doing likewise (Ross v Dundee etc) certainly doesn't justify the expense to me.

It's been mentioned before that there's a reason why surviving a terrible season often just delays the inevitable and that's you need to repay how you bought yourself out of trouble to begin with. Of course, if it's that or go down it's a risk you need to try, like we did in previous Januarys, but it should be avoided if at all possible.

I would argue that in our particular circumstances, spending wildly to secure 10th is wrong. With 12th probably gone, we should spend to have a chance of 10th while being confident in the playoff, which is more likely to see us avoid this scenario next season.

The normal plan would be to supplement bench with the cream of the Academy. This has been difficult in recent times (with the exception of Miller) because the cream is skimmed away by bigger clubs before they get a sniff at the first team

18 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

If I saw this in the starting line up, at this stage I don’t think I would be surprised. That’s a worry 😂

I'd be equally unsurprised if in the same line up Bair was starting at rwb. 

15 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

The normal plan would be to supplement bench with the cream of the Academy. This has been difficult in recent times (with the exception of Miller) because the cream is skimmed away by bigger clubs before they get a sniff at the first team

Yeah, that's a fair point...as is SK's about not throwing them in when not ready but you do wonder if he's being a little cautious here. You wouldn't throw in a kid centre half to defend a lead to be fair but Ross got his goal and i don't think has been seen since.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, that's a fair point...as is SK's about not throwing them in when not ready but you do wonder if he's being a little cautious here. You wouldn't throw in a kid centre half to defend a lead to be fair but Ross got his goal and i don't think has been seen since.

Yes I was thinking that the other day, strange he hasnt been given a chance since 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'd still argue that being overly strict about caps and limiting the manager is something of a false economy if we have funds kicking about but equally it's been interesting to see how efficient we've been in terms of getting players out (especially in light of @RandomGuy.'s point about their squad size and the number of players they're trying to shift).

We've done relatively well at punting some, and its really just the moron deals (Crawford being one of our higher earners sitting on a 3yr deal...) still kicking about. One unwanted player already punted this morning. We've rebuilt our squad the last 2 Summers so having "legacy mistakes" is probably kind of normal.

If rumours are true we head into the Saturdays game with Clark, May, Kimpioka, Kane, Jaiyesimi, Carey, Kucheriavyi, Smith and Connor Smith all in the squad for the 3 attacking positions, and potentially the squad being balanced budget wise (i think theyve effectively just written Crawford off as dead money now and ignoring that).