Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Looking at strikers we've signed in January, I think only Henrik Ojamaa (7 league goals, 9 all comps in 2011/12) and Curtis Main (5 league goals, 8 all comps in 2017/18) have made a signifcant goalscoring impact between signing and the end of the season. You can of course add Skippy and Faddy getting five goals apiece when they returned in 2012/13 and 2014/15 to the list as post-window signings. 

We are probably looking at a loan or a journeyman who'll nick a couple and maybe a couple more if things align.

What I will say is that this must be up there with the most we've needed a striker in January. Had we not signed Main and Ciftci in 2018 it wouldn't have been great going with Bowman, Fisher, Petravicius and Tanner as your options, but now it's literally Bair and no one else that we have.

Has anyone bought tickets for the Morton game , main stand yet ?

I'm following the link on our official site but I can't see where to choose what section I want . Don't want to accidentally buy 'home' tickets . Unless they are sold out and it's only the wee Dublin end left ?

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Sounds about right. When can he start? 

At least we can expect one game out of him before he inevitably breaks down. 

Looking forward to hearing we have been outbid for a player by Bishops Stortford. Seems everyone else is beating us to the punch so to speak ! 

3 and a bit days to go. Which is one more day than I actually thought. Encouraging 🤔✍️

4 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Has anyone bought tickets for the Morton game , main stand yet ?

I'm following the link on our official site but I can't see where to choose what section I want . Don't want to accidentally buy 'home' tickets . Unless they are sold out and it's only the wee Dublin end left ?

Appears to be no option to buy away tickets for the main stand. I did tweet Morton asking if they could help advise / resolve but nothing. So as far as I am aware there has never been an option to buy. Unsurprising in many ways that neither club could have noticed this and resolved or sent a communication on how to go about purchasing away main stand ticket. I plan on contacting Motherwell FC tomorrow to enquire……

I think we were only offered one section/stand for Morton. I am sure that was the same the last time.

On to the strikers...
I am getting twitchy to be honest. I fear we'll end up with "bodies" rather than something we want. 

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think we were only offered one section/stand for Morton. I am sure that was the same the last time

Sections F & G 

How many tickets that is I have no idea ?

Cheers welldaft, I was thinking about phoning the TO but wanted to check they hadn't simply sold out first 

Edited by Jastons6

19 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

On to the strikers...
I am getting twitchy to be honest. I fear we'll end up with "bodies" rather than something we want. 

Not unfair...I was calmed by the ozbolt link, less that I expected to get him, more that we seemed in the market for one you'd consider blue chip and one as cover.

The update from above, apologies I've forgotten who, suggests plan b is straight back to the bargain bucket. Which isn't really going to cut it in our situation.

The Ozbolt one seems well off brand for us if transfers fees of 150k are in the mix. If it's true I hope we haven't spent a load of time and energy for it to fall over when it was fairly clear it would...fall over.

57 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Yes. Signed for Portsmouth earlier today

Ah I seen he'd left Wigan or whomever but I never clocked that bit

At some point we are going to have to outbid another team in order to get the players we want. I’m completely scunnered with the repetitive hard luck stories. 

We are clearly now fishing in a very very small pool. The fact that Curtis Main and James Scott easily found top flight clubs shows me that not many players want to come up here and it’s the same merry go round of players that all the non city clubs are chasing ( including Dundee as non - city for sake of argument) .

We have one fit striker who was signed as 4th choice back up. We need two in ASAP. Three if we can mutually consent Obika ( wishful thinking maybe Lillieshall have a 5 a side team) 

Im getting a tad concerned that the board just think Livingston are gonners and we will take our chances with the play- offs .  If Livingston v Ross County is anything other than a draw then panic is going to set in as fas as I’m concerned.

27 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The Ozbolt one seems well off brand for us if transfers fees of 150k are in the mix. If it's true I hope we haven't spent a load of time and energy for it to fall over when it was fairly clear it would...fall over.

We spent a fair amount in fees during the Alexander season it was just never clarified publicly how much they were and the accounts just showed the £542k figure rather than anything itemised.

Agree it goes slightly against the messaging we've heard this season about wanting to get the budget under control but I don't think it's that unrealistic to think we'd invest if it was the right deal/player.

I do wonder what some of our fans think the club are supposed to do to get players to sign for us.

If we target players and offer them deals and that players agent then goes public to try and get more interested parties and push their clients value up, do we just keep going until we are the highest bidder?

We have a wage structure for a reason. If other clubs can pay silly money, then thats up to them. I wouldnt ve pushing the boat out for James Scott or Curtis Main, no matter the fact that I thought either could have done a job for us.

Im sure we will get bodies in. Whether they can make an impact is a different matter.