Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I agree with all of this.

What I would also say, is that if all the January signings succeed in doing is to get another level of performance out of those already here, then you could still consider it to be be a success.

Even from the perspective of training - I'm sure things will be more intense and competitive than they were when the first XI would've had to line up against 4 strikers, Oxborough and 6 weans.

Our training seems intense enough as it is!

4 hours ago, boozyBJ said:

Have we ever had a manager that his contract just ran out, not sacked or resigned, just ran out? Struggling to remember, Butcher maybe?

Butcher left at the end of his contract iirc. Tommy McLean left after giving notice but it may have been different in pre-Bosman days

For example in the acrimonious split between Tommy Burns and Kilmarnock they couldn't stop him leaving to become Celtic manager but Celtic got into trouble because he was still registered and under contract as a player.  Killie subsequently stopped him from registering as a player with Celtic. He might not have wanted to register but Killie did not give him the choice.

9 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

I seem to remember him taking a car salesman gig for a while before returning as a manager somewhere. Funnily enough, he has a very active Twitter and slavers away daily.

Thanks, Jim.

1 minute ago, Cloontang said:

I seem to remember him taking a car salesman gig for a while before returning as a manager somewhere. Funnily enough, he has a very active Twitter and slavers away daily.

Folk like Gannon and Alexander intrigue me...they clearly had/have the potential to be good, even very good managers, but refuse to rein in their personalities and style just a little to do it. Do they believe their method is best despite sacking after sacking? Are they not interested in developing? Are they aware they could be better but think it's not worth it if they're not 'true to themselves'? 

Gannon was such a weirdo it was probably beyond salvation but Alexander's collapse still really annoys me. The idea of a long-term plan was good, it just needed an acknowledgement from him in May 2022 mistakes were made and there was a reset with some tweaks to come to actually earn him backing from fans and board and time to rebuild...but nope. Twat.

I think the idea that Gannon could be a good manager is, and always has been, an absolute myth. Decent scout though! 

Alexander, certainly talks a good game but he's too invested in the hustle of getting pay offs. 

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Gannon was such a weirdo it was probably beyond salvation but Alexander's collapse still really annoys me. The idea of a long-term plan was good, it just needed an acknowledgement from him in May 2022 mistakes were made and there was a reset with some tweaks to come to actually earn him backing from fans and board and time to rebuild...but nope. Twat.

Actually disagree on this. I struggle to think of a manager that infuriated me more than Alexander did, as his set-up was essentially asking players to stand in two places at once.

A high wide front three, full-backs that didn't really push beyond half way, and a midfield three expected to cover both offensive and defensive holes. Even guys like Cornelius who were hugely energetic simply weren't able to cover the ridiculous amounts of ground required to make it possible to play in.

It wasn't the players or a lack of ability, it was their inability to teleport that made Alexander ultimately struggle.

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I think the idea that Gannon could be a good manager is, and always has been, an absolute myth. Decent scout though! 

Mibbes... I'd argue that if you can bring in players like he did you're more than half way there unless you then insist on playing like Barcelona and antagonise everyone you inherited old enough to shave.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Mibbes... I'd argue that if you can bring in players like he did you're more than half way there unless you then insist on playing like Barcelona and antagonise everyone you inherited old enough to shave.

I'll never criticise his ability to bring in players, made so many great signings for us. Awk maybe you're right though, but his absolute weirdo behaviour certainly didn't do him any favours and most players who have worked under him canny stand him for that. 

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Actually disagree on this. I struggle to think of a manager that infuriated me more than Alexander did, as his set-up was essentially asking players to stand in two places at once.

A high wide front three, full-backs that didn't really push beyond half way, and a midfield three expected to cover both offensive and defensive holes. Even guys like Cornelius who were hugely energetic simply weren't able to cover the ridiculous amounts of ground required to make it possible to play in.

It wasn't the players or a lack of ability, it was their inability to teleport that made Alexander ultimately struggle.

Certainly by the end it was a farce. But he took over a shambolic side which looked utterly doomed and kept us up with ease, and we then basically had Europe in the bag by Christmas (!) his first full season. Even with everyone being shite that's some going.

The ridiculous tactics tombola was only seen in the second half of that season because I suspect he went in the huff at not replacing Watt, even if he didn't throw the board under the bus publicly...we went from a relatively sensible line up to all kinds of experiments which - with him being who he was - became less and less attacking which brought more and problems.

And even then, had he done a cushy interview to say he released mistakes were made and 3 wins in 16 was unacceptable (remember when it was...), he would tweak things over the summer but please look at the progress over 18 months, 90% of folk would have gone 'aye, fine'.

And even if it hadn't worked and we'd ended up booting him in November 2022, I bet we'd be in better place now having given him the summer window (properly) than ending up having to throw Hammell in 20 minutes notice.

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Thanks, Jim.

Complaining about BigTech while regularly posting your theories on a platform owned by the epitome of a BigTech p***k is quite funny at least. 

22 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

As for this, aye. It was full of tactics that were at odds with each other. Set up to defend crosses but never defend the cross coming into the box. Have loads of space wide, but have the full backs under strict instruction that they should not cross the half way line under any circumstances. 

I honestly think Alexander would struggle to get any squad in the world to effectively do what it was he was wanting. 

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Dunno lads, I feel like we could probably have kept our powder dry rather than giving it the "I told you so" about the big man.

Nah I reckon he should be making more of it.  Every Bair goal should be celebrated by Ketts running the full length of the touchline giving it the "Higdon gesture" to anyone and everyone that comes into his eyeline.