Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I always try to talk up our league but is it just me or are 95% of the teams in the league this year utter shite?

Same. I'd generally remain positive about the whole thing but there's a bunch of clubs doing really stupid things.

It's telling that Hearts, Kilmarnock and St. Mirren feel miles clear of everyone else, simply through being competent. I don't think any of the three of them are remarkably good (Shankland aside, who is a current nonsense), but none of them do the stupid shit that the other 7 sides below them are. Robinson and McInnes are good, sensible managers doing good sensible things with the budgets and players available to them, and reaping the dividends of that.

Livi are running out of road, Ross County appointing an absolute dick who calls the whole squad shit, St. Johnstone for some reason not only not fumigating the place post Davidson but actually just maintaining a coach in MacLean, Aberdeen and Hibernian burning through cash on actually good players, but appointing folk without a single wrinkle on their brain to manage them, and then us.

Dundee an outlier here because they look decent, but then it's Dundee, so it's always just around the corner.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

none of them do the stupid shit that the other 7 sides below them are

We've had a number of high league places and euro qualifications that were more or less based on taking advantage of other club's problems (Hearts, Hibs and Utd going for multiple tours in the lower leagues, Rangers ceasing to exist, etc) - and at the moment, it's the same thing but we're obviously not in a position to take advantage as we've been on a dip of our own for the past couple of years..

One thing that is good about our league is that the Top 6 (and europe qualification) practically never works out the way it's meant to.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

St. Johnstone for some reason not only not fumigating the place post Davidson but actually just maintaining a coach in MacLean,

We had a chairman who'd been half arsing it for years, who knew he was on his way out that Summer, and honestly i think he just couldnt be bothered doing anything other than hiring MacLean. A 3yr deal was insane but Steve Browns final few years/decisions have cost us millions, so whats another bad, costly, decision at that point?

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We had a chairman who'd been half arsing it for years, who knew he was on his way out that Summer, and honestly i think he just couldnt be bothered doing anything other than hiring MacLean.

We had a chairman who'd been half arsing it, who knew he was on his way out that Winter, and honestly i think he just couldnt be bothered doing anything other than hiring Hammell.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Same. I'd generally remain positive about the whole thing but there's a bunch of clubs doing really stupid things.

It's telling that Hearts, Kilmarnock and St. Mirren feel miles clear of everyone else, simply through being competent. I don't think any of the three of them are remarkably good (Shankland aside, who is a current nonsense), but none of them do the stupid shit that the other 7 sides below them are. Robinson and McInnes are good, sensible managers doing good sensible things with the budgets and players available to them, and reaping the dividends of that.

Livi are running out of road, Ross County appointing an absolute dick who calls the whole squad shit, St. Johnstone for some reason not only not fumigating the place post Davidson but actually just maintaining a coach in MacLean, Aberdeen and Hibernian burning through cash on actually good players, but appointing folk without a single wrinkle on their brain to manage them, and then us.

Dundee an outlier here because they look decent, but then it's Dundee, so it's always just around the corner.

Agreed !

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm certainly not about to dig into this but you wonder how much that is down to:

1) so much more money in the league making missed expectations so expensive

2) everyone being on tik tok and throwing the toys out the pram at one bad season

McLean is the oft-quoted example when arguing for Motherwell managers getting time but for me McLeish is a much more interesting example. Not only had he dismantled our best team in decades and squandered hundreds of thousands (millions if you're critical), we had adjusted expectations to the extent that simply fighting relegation and surviving every season was a triumph. Yes, 10-team league, but still...you compare it to the stonewall certainty of some that SK has to go and it's a total flip. When Hibs took McLeish we maybe weren't sad to see him go but his position was under zero threat.

I'm still 50-50 on SK but the fact swapping managers constantly so rarely works on any consistent basis, an increasing part of me just wants to try it to see how we do being different.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We had a chairman who'd been half arsing it for years, who knew he was on his way out that Summer, and honestly i think he just couldnt be bothered doing anything other than hiring MacLean. A 3yr deal was insane but Steve Browns final few years/decisions have cost us millions, so whats another bad, costly, decision at that point?

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

We had a chairman who'd been half arsing it, who knew he was on his way out that Winter, and honestly i think he just couldnt be bothered doing anything other than hiring Hammell.

I fear for us right now with a similar situation with can't be arsed head honchos

People only ever tend to say "the league is shite" when their team is doing shite. 

Motherwell are fairly poor just now but that's on us and nobody else.

The league is absolutely fine and while, of course, changes could be made here and there, we're far too quick to be critical of our overall game. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

In a Conference League knockout tie too. Annoying as it is for us fair play to him for backing himself at that level.

I reckon we got sent him by total accident. He was far too good to be sent on loan to us.

No offence Motherwell

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I fear for us right now with a similar situation with can't be arsed head honchos

We should, hopefully, appoint someone soon who will hopefully have a long term plan. I was being kind of flippant about Burrows earlier but also I know how much effort I put in when I've known I'm leaving a job. 
Season 4 Fake Typing GIF by The Office

45 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I reckon we got sent him by total accident. He was far too good to be sent on loan to us.

No offence Motherwell

If in another reality he hadn't been sent here , could you imagine how many goals the Bair would be on now ? Tbh I think our brief dalliance with someone elses 'top class' striker has if anything only hampered the development of our own future star. Also could you imagine how annoying it would be to have a genuine class loan on a season that realistically we're only aiming for 7th at best ?!

9 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

I thought Butcher's reaction to the 3rd was very telling in that regard last night.

I don't blame him specifically for the first two, but the third? Kelly does one of those "Wow That Shot Went In So Fast I Can Only Move My Head" headturns... and then has to turn his head back because the ball looked like it was in slow motion and he gets to watch it actually go in for real. It's like he thought it was going to be a rocket when actually he could've saved it if he had bothered to move.

I've said before that I think Kettlewell will keep him in. Not out of some imagined Euro money but because he wants to show loyalty and faith to him and try and build his confidence, but hopefully with the next game coming so soon he can sell it as a needed rest. Even Klopp and Guardiola rest their goalies after midweek games so sit down Liam and chill. Or what's best - letting the Ox have a go, or being shown that confidence and letting Shankland put 6 by him?

Edited by AnderooMFC
too many actuallys

1 hour ago, AnderooMFC said:

I don't blame him specifically for the first two, but the third? Kelly does one of those "Wow That Shot Went In So Fast I Can Only Move My Head" headturns... and then has to turn his head back because the ball looked like it was in slow motion and he gets to watch it actually go in for real. It's like he thought it was going to be a rocket when actually he could've saved it if he had bothered to move.

Had to watch it back after reading this and honestly don't think he could've done a thing about it - it's a good finish. In off the post, and considering he's not favourite for the ball (it really, really should be cleared) Duk manages to direct it at a kinda unexpected angle as far away from Kelly as you can physically get. 

Dunno... don't get me wrong, I've had anxiety the entire season about Kelly and everyone in front of him and that anxiety was in overdrive last night however I don't think he did too much wrong all game. 

7 hours ago, CoF said:

Had to watch it back after reading this and honestly don't think he could've done a thing about it - it's a good finish. In off the post, and considering he's not favourite for the ball (it really, really should be cleared) Duk manages to direct it at a kinda unexpected angle as far away from Kelly as you can physically get. 

Dunno... don't get me wrong, I've had anxiety the entire season about Kelly and everyone in front of him and that anxiety was in overdrive last night however I don't think he did too much wrong all game. 

Talked about this on the night actually.

Devine was out muscled and out jumped by Duk for the third. If that was SOD marking him, or Butcher, we'd have rightly been going off our nuts at them. 

Kelly doesn't do much wrong really for me either there. 

He's been behind mince at times recently but for me that's searching for something that's not really there.

16 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Speaking on behalf of most Dundee fans, we've been waiting all season for it to happen but until now...

I fully expect Kettlewell to be offered a 2 year deal. He’s cleared the deck player wise over the last season. This summer, he’ll get a chance to shape the squad to his liking. This is the make or break part. Who he keeps from the current fannies and then the quality of the guys he brings in this summer. I don’t think he’s been awful. He just needs a plan b,c or d when plan a isn’t working.

Kelly won’t be dropped. If the defence can actually defend for a few matches, his confidence may improve. Over the next few games, he’s certainly gonna face a fair few shots. Actually saving some might be the start of redemption arc. However, I think the time is right for Motherwell and Kelly to part ways in the summer. Last thing on Kelly, he is absolutely going to the Euros as Clarke is very loyal to his players. He also tends to pick players who are actually playing for their clubs. Gordon is a way better keeper, but is kept out by Clark at Hearts so not playing regularly and neither is McCrory. If fit, Kelly goes, rightly or wrongly.