Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That 2nd 45 was as good as we've been for a long while and had some good stuff all the way through from back to front. It's all well and good knocking your pan in but ultimately coming up short as usual against Celtic, but that kind of performance against our peers is what we need to see us claw our way clear of trouble. It's the inconsistency and constant stupid mistakes that kills us.

The introduction of Vale really changed the whole dynamic of the game. I'm really liking him so far and think he has a real chance of doing well in the game to the level of guys like Jutkiewitz  and such before him.

We were the better team for the whole match, but conceded the dumbass type of goal we have done all season, which has undermined some very good attacking play.

I thought, especially in the second half, that we moved the ball well and quickly, and out fought them. Well deserved win at a difficult venue.

@thisGRAEMEthat aberdeen summary was spot on, jeez-o.

Edited by rowsdower

6 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

The introduction of Vale really changed the whole dynamic of the game. I'm really liking him so far and think he has a real chance of doing well in the game to the level of guys like Jutkiewitz  and such before him.

I really like Vale and like Gent would keep him if we can. He's under contract for another year though so doubtful.

What I think will hold him back is that there are very few positions you would trust him in with modern formations. You wouldn't play him as a solo nine, he's not a winger...an old inside forward in a lopsided 4-3-3? Maybe. Not a 10. And what we've seen with various folk recently is forwards who can only play in a two have a low ceiling.

But for us in our *gestures* 'that' he has quite a natural berth as a 'something' between the midfield and Bair though even then I'd still say for the moment he's better of the bench.

Once we get past Sevco we've got our immediate peer group in the chase for 6th.

Looking back feeling we should have had 7 points from 12 in the past fortnight we're sitting here with with 4. Learn from it and cut out the stupidness and it's in our own hands.

Oddly we all face Sevco and while they both have a game in hand I'd say Dundee have the hardest run in, then us followed by Hibs.

Expect those 4 games to be like cup ties ....... bottom 6 it is then lads.

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm a fickle emotional guy the night. Ketts can hang about for now.

Similarly - I'm on record as saying he should have went pre Christmas. 

But, also happy he is sticking around. 

He has addressed the main criticisms most of us aimed at him to various extents.

- He recruited decently enough in January to enable us to play some pacy wingbacks. So so key to the system. 

- He's got us playing really nice fitba at times going forward.

- He's did what he said he'd do with Theo Bair 

- He made a good early change last night which essentially enabled us to get the win..

So do you know what, happy to say I've been proven wrong. However, 

- Proof will be in the summer transfer pudding. Pros, I do think he will get rid of the deed wood. Cons, not convinced he has the transfer contacts to build the squad he wants (but January is starting to change my mind slightly) 

- He needs to sort the defence out. Not seem anything all seasons to show he can do that. 

- He needs to develop a proper Plan B and C and implement it quicker. Perhaps hamstrung by the squad. But he's the one that builds it. 

11 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Proof will be in the summer transfer pudding. Pros, I do think he will get rid of the deed wood. Cons, not convinced he has the transfer contacts to build the squad he wants (but January is starting to change my mind slightly) 

- He needs to sort the defence out. Not seem anything all seasons to show he can do that. 

January is an odd one. He did much better, for sure, but then he generally signed more established folk. Devine was young obviously but you know what we'd get from Halliday and Nicholson, Vale has his Championship games behind him, we'd seen Montgomery etc. That's great but not necessarily the market we'll be in again in summer... he urgently needs to improve his success rate among 'punts'.

As for the defence, it is a remarkable quirk that we've got so many (converted) CBs that SK hasn't signed one for us yet. The rumour we've gone for that Livingston boy does not install confidence.

25 minutes ago, eliphas said:

So do you know what, happy to say I've been proven wrong. However, 

- Proof will be in the summer transfer pudding. 

- He needs to develop a proper Plan B and C and implement it quicker. Perhaps hamstrung by the squad. But he's the one that builds it. 

Proven wrong until results start to wrong again basically then at which point you'll be right again?

Wouldn't it be easier just to take a longer view. Fan's can be so short sighted, I get that it's an emotional game, but f**k me. It just goes to show that for fans the only thing is results.

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As for the defence, it is a remarkable quirk that we've got so many (converted) CBs that SK hasn't signed one for us yet. The rumour we've gone for that Livingston boy does not install confidence.

We obviously had such a surplus of centre backs as well as going all out to sign Casey this summer. I do wonder what we would have done had he not come back at the 11th hour - I wonder if we would have gone out to sign someone or whether the plan was to play Lamie or Blaney. Sadly between injury and form, we've not quite seen the Casey of last season.

49 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It just goes to show that for fans the only thing is results.

I don't think anyone on the thread ever discusses actual results (unless they're financial) - P&B 'Well fans wanted him sacked due to how long it took him to try Blair Spittal as a Raumdeuter.

Edited by Swello

46 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Proven wrong until results start to wrong again basically then at which point you'll be right again?

Wouldn't it be easier just to take a longer view. Fan's can be so short sighted, I get that it's an emotional game, but f**k me. It just goes to show that for fans the only thing is results.

If they went by actual results and not status of results, no one would have wanted Kettlewell sacked tbh...