Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Im sad as f**k, and love stats, but even i think fans should be allowed emotions without having to double check their 10yr PPG average first.

Far too many folk who think being neutral (dull) makes you seem intelligent. 

Fans love the emotional rollercoaster. I always say that to my girlfriend. The only thing men get emotional about is the football - she rolls her eyes lol.

It's not really about the stats for me, it's trying to figure out what's under the hood - try and find out what's true basically. Stats are just a tool. I get that fans wallow in the emotion and the back and forth and basically buzz off it and if that's what you like that's what you like.  

Sports analytics actually brought me back into football. It made the game more understandable for me and moved away from the idea of 22 men kicking a ball of air around a field. I don't want to get over emotional about football. Before then I'd done the whole Scottish football scene until around the time Sevco went bust and it was getting boring, so I went down south and lost interest in the sport for a few years.

Edited by 2426255

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I think both things can be and maybe are true.

For me the toxicity around the Hammell era seemed to be far more directed at the players rather than Hammell himself which is understandable given who he is and all that but it also largely ignored that he might simply have been someone who was miles out his depth in the role.

FoObsUCXoAcL1Ai?format=jpg&name=large

Whereas with Kettlewell, as @Swello says, there's probably been far more patience shown but I’d say it feels like the discontent and scepticism has been low key but consistent from certain sections without ever necessarily escalating to a point it did on either Hammell and certainly Alexander's watch.

The only good thing to come out of that period was the joke about the bizarre use of apostrophe's in that banner 🤣

I think the other thing that's been a factor in the intense flip-flopping of fan opinion between sugar and shite this season, from guys who don't normally react like that, is that players/teams that are capable of the level of quality that we've seen at times, generally aren't capable of monumental f**k-ups on the scale we've seen, and vice versa.

Rocking up to Fir Park knowing you could just as easily see an 8/9/10 performance, as a generous 1, is fucking exhausting! I've lost count of he amount of times I've come away from games thinking "how is a team that's capable of that, also capable of this in the space of a few days?"

Edited by Al B

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Before then I'd done the whole Scottish football scene until around the time Sevco went bust

bf04d8075e605d731659e3e847693d45.jpg.1e7778e999fa9cfee079f625faeb0f32.jpg

17 minutes ago, Al B said:

"how is a team that's capable of that, also capable of this in the space of a few days?"

I'm honestly so excited for Saturday. We're going to lose 15-0 and folk are going to go mental.

32 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fans love the emotional rollercoaster. I always say that to my girlfriend. The only thing men get emotional about is the football - she rolls her eyes lol.

image.jpeg.2ed1d4a67dd261df20dfbff62c02bfc7.jpeg

I have a feeling we might actually make Top Six, or at least take it to the 33rd game. Head says it's probably only about a 10% chance and its a big ask given we only really beat Livi and Ross County but I reckon we might go on a bit of a mini-run. If we do then we've timed it pretty well given our run in is basically the four other competitors. Screenshot_20240229_170957_Chrome.thumb.jpg.08628bf731565a03687dcc89078829c7.jpg

58 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Too many SteelmenOnline recruits in recent times for my liking. No longer just the cool kids on here. 

Now now, not what I said.

It's probably an unanswerable question and I'm not sure that it really needs asked but it's been rattling around my brain so I'll ask it anyway: Does Harry Paton score our equaliser last night, (like does he even make that run to get in that position?) and do we get that second half performance in general if he's on the park instead of Nicholson?

That's not meant as a dig at Paton or anything (honest) and it's also shite that he's out injured but I've mentioned before that Nicholson feels like a more obvious fit for that role and it kind of felt that way watching how things panned out.

Edited by capt_oats

I hope Davor plays on Saturday. He was howling last night, but everyone has a shocker sometimes. Spittal doesn’t half get right on his case sometimes. 

I very much enjoyed SOD misplacing a pass in the second half and the folk round me absolutely losing their shit despite the fact he had just laid on the equaliser. 

Also, my haggis pie was magic. 

37 minutes ago, Swami said:

I very much enjoyed SOD misplacing a pass in the second half and the folk round me absolutely losing their shit despite the fact he had just laid on the equaliser.  

I'm to and fro on who I'd bin from our defence...I'd definitely not renew Butcher and as likeable as he is I'd punt Bevis. I'd tend to keep McGinn, despite his recent wobble, and would renew SOD if he takes lower terms.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm to and fro on who I'd bin from our defence...I'd definitely not renew Butcher and as likeable as he is I'd punt Bevis. I'd tend to keep McGinn, despite his recent wobble, and would renew SOD if he takes lower terms.

Mugabi is a good player for us. He isn't even a top 3 defensive problem

Blaney, Butcher and SOD are all terrible. Liam Kelly is rancid. Then we still have no full backs signed for next season.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Mugabi is a good player for us. He isn't even a top 3 defensive problem

Blaney, Butcher and SOD are all terrible. Liam Kelly is rancid. Then we still have no full backs signed for next season.

Interesting... I'd say Bevis is a walking liability and even on his good days an error is never far away.

SOD has improved again out wide but I like the fact he can play rcb too...we need two out of the back three to be able to pass if that's going to work and finding those guys at the level is hard.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I admit, I am all over the place with Kettlewell. I think he should have been binned weeks ago. But was willing to let him see out the season when we thought he was contracted to the summer. Then I was annoyed there was a sneaky contract and the first half last night was god awful. I'd have sacked him there. 
The win soothed things and in the clear light of day, I know we aren't going to sack him anyway so I am back to wishing him well. Very much on the fence though.

There is some amount of gymnastics taking place here though to put a good spin on the 2 wins out of 20 odd whatever it was. even now 3 in whatever. It's a stinking record regardless. 

I normally make the trip through to Livingston but the late sickener on Sunday put me off. I genuinely don’t think we were that bad in the first half considering how sh ite their park is. Put it this way I have definitely seen us play worse - the last game there in October we were rank rotten even before Millers red card.

I felt we bossed the play after a poor start and were on top/ starting to make decent chances in the run up to half time.