Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 hours ago, Swello said:

Given where we've been this season and everything that's gone on - any of us would have been massively fucking delighted with 7th place a couple of weeks back but now that we're more or less in touch with 6th - it might feel a bit anti-climatic when we don't make it.

Both Hibs and Dundee are picking up points at a decent rate and seem in reasonable form - so it would need to be a pretty unbelievable run from us (which we haven't looked capable of this season) to do it.

I'll stick with being happy with 7th if we can do that..

100% - given where we were and how we were playing and set up I did not see this coming. So it is nice. Very nice. 

The Rangers win with some other results going our way makes the last 4 games before the split very interesting. 

Both Dundee and Hibs need to play Rangers in their last 4 and then we play them both in our final 2 pre split games 

4 hours ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Try telling youngsters about it and they won't believe you!

I hadn't realised it Wayne Foster's penalty that he saved - couldn't have happened to a more deserving fellow.

I had a memory of being at a game where the ref took exception to a double-sub happening without his permission and booked all four players but hadn't realised it was this one - proper pedantic refereeing and nothing says old school like Cammy Duncan being physically lifted off the park and up the tunnel.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

100% - given where we were and how we were playing and set up I did not see this coming. So it is nice. Very nice. 

The Rangers win with some other results going our way makes the last 4 games before the split very interesting. 

Both Dundee and Hibs need to play Rangers in their last 4 and then we play them both in our final 2 pre split games 

I still think it's very unlikely we'll be sixth and it only takes a few weeks of things going against you and we're nervous again...

That said, there's no doubt this weekend is a huge chance. St Johnstone are likely to lose in Glasgow so win and we have such a gap to those below I'd be confident of not being worse than eighth. 

And I'd have given huge odds on that status just a few weeks ago!

I genuinely feel sympathy for Obika as I can't imagine it's a good place to be if you're trying to work your way back to fitness only to break down again. Even more so when you factor in the time he missed with his hamstring pinging when he was at Morecambe as well.

Having said that, it's almost like a bit we're doing now:

Meanwhile Jon Obika has suffered another hamstring injury in training having already had three lay-offs with a similar issue over the past 12 months.

“I don’t have a specific update, we will have him scanned and find out what’s going on,” Kettlewell said.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

If we want to be top 6 we’ve got to earn it and part of that us beating our two peers for the spot.

However Motherwell’s being Motherwell, what will happen will be a toothless draw with Aberdeen which is the easiest fixture we face and then the maths and odds lengthen.

Happy to be proven wrong like Ricki’s header at Almondvale and Reid’s goal at Pittodrie. 

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I genuinely feel sympathy for Obika as I can't imagine it's a good place to be if you're trying to work your way back to fitness only to break down again. Even more so when you factor in the time he missed with his hamstring pinging when he was at Morecambe as well.

Unless you subscribe to highly unlikely option that he knows he's done and is at it, I don't know why anyone wouldn't have sympathy for him as a person. As you say, that must be really hard going.

But as fans and a club we'll also look at the professional aspect which is to say he was a stupid signing given his history and certainly doesn't deserve a slice of the budget for next season.

43 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I still think it's very unlikely we'll be sixth and it only takes a few weeks of things going against you and we're nervous again...

That said, there's no doubt this weekend is a huge chance. St Johnstone are likely to lose in Glasgow so win and we have such a gap to those below I'd be confident of not being worse than eighth. 

And I'd have given huge odds on that status just a few weeks ago!

Winning on Saturday would mean 3 wins in a row. As you say, you'd have got huge odds on that a few weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Winning on Saturday would mean 3 wins in a row. As you say, you'd have got huge odds on that a few weeks ago.

Aye and given it's agreed we need to win the last two pre-split, a couple of draws to stay in touch is the tactical way to go!

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Having said that, it's almost like a bit we're doing now:

We'll get more appearances out of Kate Middleton than Obika in 2024 at this rate.

Not normally one for former players chat but I see Biereth scored away at Lille tonight. 

Reckon we'd be a few points better off if St Mirren hadn't tried to maim him at the start of the season. 

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not normally one for former players chat but I see Biereth scored away at Lille tonight. 

Reckon we'd be a few points better off if St Mirren hadn't tried to maim him at the start of the season. 

Normally I'd agree - but making chances and scoring goals has never been a problem for us this season, regardless of who we've had up front - instead we've been treated to the classic sight of Motherwell forward with hands on hips looking back angrily at the defence and goalkeeper on a weekly basis. 

However we end up this season - this has been a good attacking Motherwell team (with the most infuriating defence for about 20 years)