Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He raises a good point regarding Dundee’s pitch and legislation. I’d like to see rules implemented for grass pitches in the league and proper upkeep, investment etc. which would be a benefit for the fan experience as well with less call offs and uncertainty. 

The suggestion for a closed door game at Airdrie stadium shows a real contempt for the supporter glad he’s stood up against that. I reckon he’ll be good in the long run seems a sensible character. 

Positive intitial impressions. Telling the SPFL they are a bunch of fannies is a huge plus point straight off the bat. 

Also interesting to hear him admit that the potential investment has been looked upon favourably so far and that the investor has spoken to him, the Well Society as well as the Chairman etc.

Is anyone susprised he has had 20 calls with the Manager already……”Hi Brian….it is Stuart again…I forgot to mention….”

Edited by welldaft

16 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Positive intitial impressions. Telling the SPFL they are a bunch of fannies is a huge plus point straight off the bat. 

Also interesting to hear him admit that the potential investment has been looked upon favourably so far and that the investor has spoken to him, the Well Society as well as the Chairman etc.

Is anyone susprised he has had 20 calls with the Manager already……”Hi Brian….it is Stuart again…I forgot to mention….”

I don’t think it’s 20 calls, I think the bold Stuart just had to hang up on 59 mins before he started getting charged for the calls and could finish his story.

Found this line in the STV report interesting. Would it be making the money club this way, or themselves?

Screenshot_20240405_182116_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8272fbb3b2a1c4c60b6ad4b5378342db.jpg

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Correct. Though it should be said this wasn't part of a cunning plan, more a side perk of not asking the club to take money out of the immediate budget for repayment.

It's not how I think the reserves should have been used (it certainly wasn't the original intention) but clearly it's hard to press for the money back now.

In future if there was a move to remove the debt it would be simple enough to connvert it to equity.

The Well Society was always envisionned as being the majority shareholder and to hold some level of cash that could be used to tide the club over should we be short of cash.

it does seem like some legacy actors have stymied the Well Society having control at board level with seeming less than 50% of the board despite owning over 70% of the club.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Found this line in the STV report interesting. Would it be making the money club this way, or themselves?

Screenshot_20240405_182116_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8272fbb3b2a1c4c60b6ad4b5378342db.jpg

See this is the only way I can see them "making money". Unless they've some sort of secret to scouting, what's the fucking point? It's what we do on a small scale anyway.

The production company trying to get a word in when speaking to Kettlewell for the upcoming documentary, Welcome to Motherwell, will be a mammoth task. 

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It just seems counterproductive... we've been paying half a dozen managers and assistants, we had a squad of 500 we needed to cull etc. It's the softest of soft loans - at least for the time being - I can't imagine anyone wanting to tell the club or manager there's less to spend next season because we're shuffling some non-urgent money back.

A different debate could be if new investment comes in...is it best that a money is made available to the club through the dilution of shares or should the Society straight out sell a percentage and get the cash - which would boost the fund for buying back if/when the time comes.

I agree with the softest of soft loans bit. I suppose it was sold to us at the time it would be like a bellows, being used to top up in times of need and being replenished when the times were good hence mentioning the "when the sun is shining" thing. Thing is, there's been zero going the other way. Not suggesting a managers funds are dipped into in a breakeven or poor return season to service a zero interest loan sitting on the balance sheet, but in a successful one, maybe should have been looked at unless there is method and sound rationale. Below illustrates we were capable of putting something in 2 years at least but probably drawing from in 2 or 3 as well.

But on top the WS has gifted/funnelled funds steadily for a number of seasons. Merits of that can be debated, but lesser amounts (while recorded) have essentially disappeared into the ether over time.

I'm not an accountant but rudimentary understanding would say that having the entity charged with the protection and stewardship of the club to get first dibs being the primary creditor could be an added protection. I've asked a friend who does mergers and acquisitions for their take.

On 22/02/2024 at 15:16, capt_oats said:

16/17: (£104,000)
17/18: £1,720,000
18/19: (£436,000)
19/20: £346,590
20/21: £3,575,615
21/22: (£1,082,000)
22/23: (£1,605,000)

Net profit: £2,415,205

8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Wrexham currently sits third in League Two, three below the Premier League, and Motherwell fans will be hoping Barmack can lead their club to similar new glories.

Hopefully we, too, can get promoted to English League 2 with a view of getting to the Premier League. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In fairness there are a number of inconsistencies with that article.

I mean, it's semantics but Barmack wasn't Vice President of Netflix as an entity as implied by the article. He was VP of different departments including Independent Content and International Content. If you look at their current leadership structure they have loads of "Vice Presidents" - https://about.netflix.com/en/leadership

More factually we're not "partly" fan-owned. We're fully fan owned and have been for fucking ages.

Also, that quote you've (fairly) picked up on was rumoured to have been the other bidders who comprised Australian/Middle-Eastern/US "investors" whose approach we seem to have binned. They were the mob who wanted to bring in their own CEO and what not.

As it stands it's not actually that clear what's in it for Barmack in terms of ROI but the wording in the STV article is a bit of a mess:

"The club subsequently entered talks with Barmack who is said to be keen to utilise his television background to grow income as well as a US-based multi-national consortium which felt it could make money through recruitment and sale of players."

It's two separate approaches.

Edited by capt_oats

Hi, me and my partner are going to be in dundee tomorrow heading down from aberdeen (if the games still on🤞) wondering if there’s any pubs other well fans will be at. Appreciate any help 👍

42 minutes ago, Mathew16 said:

Hi, me and my partner are going to be in dundee tomorrow heading down from aberdeen (if the games still on🤞) wondering if there’s any pubs other well fans will be at. Appreciate any help 👍

The Drookit Duck ....

Sorry couldn't resist based on the mess up there. Hopefully someone well intentioned and sincere will reply.

10 hours ago, Mathew16 said:

Fairfield Bowling Clubare usually quite accomodating if there are only a couple of you. Short stroll to the ground.

10 hours ago, Mathew16 said:

Near the ground(s), I've always gone into Whites, which will be mainly Dundee fans but there are usually some 'Well supporters in there too - ditto the Clep Bar. Both just old school boozers and pretty welcoming, nothing fancy. 

In the city centre on the way to/from the station, always the Phoenix.