Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It didn't affect them eventually winning the title but we did beat Rangers when they were expecting to just turn up and win to clinch the title in 91 and 97. The one in 97 was even sweeter as it was at Ibrox,  for 9 in a row and they had organised a big party.

Any other oldies remember this one?

• Celtic fail to get the point needed to clinch the title. They will now have to wait three days before travelling to Easter Road.
  • Highlights were shown on BBC that night.

Review

On a cold spring night Celtic start nervously and become more desperate as the game goes on. Lynch is tremendously unfortunate with his two own goals. A rare outing where Celtic lose and fail to score.
Celtic missed a barrowload of chances in the first half and then fell behind to an Ian Kennedy goal just before half time.
Celtic came out in the second half and fought solidly but failed to find the net. And then in the final five minutes a shot from Kennedy which was going past the post cannoned off Lynch's knee to be deflected past Baines, and two minutes later he also deflected a similar shot from Wark past Baines.

Teams

Motherwell:
Hunter, Watson, Wark, McLaren, McAdam, Stevens, J Miller, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Kennedy. Subs: O'Rourke Marinello
Scorers: Kennedy (42), Lynch 2 (OG 85, OG 87)

Celtic:
Baines, McGrain, Lynch, Stanton, Edvaldsson, Aitken, Conn, Glavin, Craig, Dalglish, Burns . Subs: Doyle Wilson

Referee: G B Smith (Edinburgh)
Attendance: 13,820

2 hours ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Any other oldies remember this one?

• Celtic fail to get the point needed to clinch the title. They will now have to wait three days before travelling to Easter Road.
  • Highlights were shown on BBC that night.

Review

On a cold spring night Celtic start nervously and become more desperate as the game goes on. Lynch is tremendously unfortunate with his two own goals. A rare outing where Celtic lose and fail to score.
Celtic missed a barrowload of chances in the first half and then fell behind to an Ian Kennedy goal just before half time.
Celtic came out in the second half and fought solidly but failed to find the net. And then in the final five minutes a shot from Kennedy which was going past the post cannoned off Lynch's knee to be deflected past Baines, and two minutes later he also deflected a similar shot from Wark past Baines.

Teams

Motherwell:
Hunter, Watson, Wark, McLaren, McAdam, Stevens, J Miller, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Kennedy. Subs: O'Rourke Marinello
Scorers: Kennedy (42), Lynch 2 (OG 85, OG 87)

Celtic:
Baines, McGrain, Lynch, Stanton, Edvaldsson, Aitken, Conn, Glavin, Craig, Dalglish, Burns . Subs: Doyle Wilson

Referee: G B Smith (Edinburgh)
Attendance: 13,820

Remember it well, a great night.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Nick Blackman remains my favourite - non-descript loanee, scores every other week, double figures by Xmas - Aberdeen poach him, goals dry up instantly.

A tried and tested model. Has anyone going directly from Motherwell -> Aberdeen ever worked?

4 hours ago, Swello said:

With the ridiculous run of strikers over the years, It's got to the point where there must be a Viking burial ground under Fir Park that allows struggling forwards to have one glorious season before retiring with their riches to Valhalla (or a short stint in England before signing for St Mirren as it's otherwise known). This would also helpfully explain why so many ex-players score against us when they come back to Fir Park.

Said burial ground does nothing for any actual Norsemen who end up here. Sloth, Sol and the most Scandy of all the Scandies, Ojala .....

Reading though Twitter, I've avoided it because of the asshat who owns it now but seen all sorts of wild shit this morning.

Apparently the WS board is too left wing and "some capitalists" are required. Also ire at a photo of brainstorming session having the temerity to use post-it notes and a flip chart as "unprofessional". None of the volunteers were wearing suits and ties either, so I do get their point .....

16 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Apparently the WS board is too left wing and "some capitalists" are required. Also ire at a photo of brainstorming session having the temerity to use post-it notes and a flip chart as "unprofessional". None of the volunteers were wearing suits and ties either, so I do get their point .....

If only there was some kind of way we could've decided who was on the board, maybe in some kind of vote perhaps?

23 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Apparently the WS board is too left wing and "some capitalists" are required.

One of the advantages of football (Old Firm excepted) is that in general it is apolitical. As Motherwell fans do we really give a monkeys about the private politics of our players, owners, management team or fellow fans ? 

14 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

If only there was some kind of way we could've decided who was on the board, maybe in some kind of vote perhaps?

Or if we could look and see the medium/long-term success stories from other clubs with investors.

8 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

One of the advantages of football (Old Firm excepted) is that in general it is apolitical. As Motherwell fans do we really give a monkeys about the private politics of our players, owners, management team or fellow fans

I mean, yes.

No Tories thanks.

23 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

One of the advantages of football (Old Firm excepted) is that in general it is apolitical. As Motherwell fans do we really give a monkeys about the private politics of our players, owners, management team or fellow fans ? 

It seems some do. Odd comments to be directed at a one member one vote provident society which focus' on the collective community good.

Saying that, at the next WS Board vote maybe a route to success would be under a Tory ticket ..... campaign on "Hunter stand prices up 10% and removing free child places" ..... oh wait, we kinda just did that.

Edited by Vietnam91

27 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

It seems some do. Odd comments to be directed at a one member one vote provident society which focus' on the collective community good.

Saying that, at the next WS Board vote maybe a route to success would be under a Tory ticket ..... campaign on "Hunter stand prices up 10% and removing free child places" ..... oh wait, we kinda just did that.

There were also eyebrows raised on the Dundee thread the other day about their season ticket prices for next year. 

The club currently will charge fans as much as we can, while balancing short and long-term benefit, and you know 100% that any excess money will be reinvested in the club/community.

Have an investor in charge and it's entirely possible your season ticket price increase is labelled profit and sent to someone else who gives precisely zero fucks about the club beyond 2027.

I seem to have fallen into the trap of appearing to be very against all investment, I'm actually not. It's a nuanced thing and everyone should come to personal judgements weighing up risks, rewards and god knows how many ifs, buts and maybes. But seeing people treat this as a cut and dried case because fan ownership has "failed" and "investment is needed to take us to the next level" makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I seem to have fallen into the trap of appearing to be very against all investment, I'm actually not. It's a nuanced thing and everyone should come to personal judgements weighing up risks, rewards and god knows how many ifs, buts and maybes. But seeing people treat this as a cut and dried case because fan ownership has "failed" and "investment is needed to take us to the next level" makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

This is it in a nutshell for me. People are too quick to take a stance on something (fan ownership, investment, whatever) because of a self-informed/conceived issue with (e.g.) fan ownership because it hasn't worked out how they envisioned it working out. That doesn't mean it's failed, or it's succeeded; I would argue most people would err on the side of it succeeding but with the outside influence of other teams around us having benefactors, investment etc. I can see why they would be driven down a path to thinking that it's failed.

I pointed out a few pages ago that the actual reason we are an attractive option for investors is our healthy accounts... accounts which have all been generated during our period of fan ownership. However, I would caveat that with if there is a serious investor who thinks they'll be able to get money out of Motherwell (or any Scottish club for that matter), they're bonkers.

For the record I'm neither for or against investment right now; I need to see proposals, business plans, figures etc. that will justify whatever option is being put to the club/shareholders. If I were in the Well Society I would absolutely have voted to not consider any proposal which cedes the fan ownership model below 51%.  The nuances of how that 51% is made up between the Society, private shareholders etc. will also need clarified, but that's my one line in the sand.

Edited by StAndrew7

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Apparently the WS board is too left wing and "some capitalists" are required. 

This is funny on quite a few levels. 

They should ban middle aged folk from social media before they ban kids.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is funny on quite a few levels. 

They should ban middle aged folk from social media before they ban kids.

I've always thought you should have to pass some kind of intelligence test before they let you have a social media account. 

Dundee -Rangers being off takes a bit of heat out of Saturday (but also ensures that it remains meaningful for us). Good news is that the Hampden Beaks will want Dundee's pitch so far away from the Top 6/OF that Aberdeen are getting 8 penalties.

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

Dundee -Rangers being off takes a bit of heat out of Saturday (but also ensures that it remains meaningful for us). Good news is that the Hampden Beaks will want Dundee's pitch so far away from the Top 6/OF that Aberdeen are getting 8 penalties.

Rangers have taken the news in the calm and dignified manner you'd expect.