Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Swello said:

image.thumb.png.18e8ae1d0ccec3db27d3be4c164bcae8.png

hahahaha!

Do stewards ever actually go to football games themselves?

I get that he has a job to do and is worried about things spilling over.

But we just scored an injury time winner to keep us in the mix for top 6 off the back of a pretty shit season.

No understanding of the situation whatsoever and his attitude towards our players and staff is pretty poor.

31 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But we just scored an injury time winner to keep us in the mix for top 6 off the back of a pretty shit season.

No understanding of the situation whatsoever and his attitude towards our players and staff is pretty poor.

Probably confirmation bias on my part but I have long suspected that this type of job only attracts jobsworths and vibe killers.

54 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I said on the match thread - given the way he acted, he was probably a raging Dee (and I totally get that) - if he wasn't, he was clearly enjoying his job way more than he should have been.

It's funny - there's always been an arsehole tendency from Tayside stewards. There were some utter roasters at Tannadice and even at McDiarmid, so not a Dundee thing.... 

7 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Someone once suggested we have a 42 team league, play each other once and use the standings to define the teams for the regular leagues from then on.

You could do this every 10/20 years as a giant reset and while it's obviously unfair as f**k, it sounds totally hilarious and therefore I'm all for it.

Once every ten years they should reset the points to zero after the split. That would be bedlam.

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Honestly at this stage I'm not even sure whether the pyramid adds much. I think it probably will at some point but I'd rather have Cowden and Rovers than Cove and FC Edinburgh City.

That's because its not a pyramid it's a funnel blocked by the lunacy of the lowland league 

2 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

Once every ten years they should reset the points to zero after the split. That would be bedlam.

Add further bedlam by having that on an entirely random basis, extra jeopardy by having no play-offs these seasons;  bottom of the top 6 and 12th place both go straight down, but this season-of-death is only announced when the post-split fixtures come out.

Financial carnage, but so much fun. Watch another support go straight from 'yas, top 6, chance of Europe!' to relegated in 5 games.

Seasons-of-death should also have a better way of separating teams level on points. Not GD or scored, reward yellow and red cards.

I've thought about this far to much for a man my age.

6 hours ago, prov said:

Add further bedlam by having that on an entirely random basis, extra jeopardy by having no play-offs these seasons;  bottom of the top 6 and 12th place both go straight down, but this season-of-death is only announced when the post-split fixtures come out.

Financial carnage, but so much fun. Watch another support go straight from 'yas, top 6, chance of Europe!' to relegated in 5 games.

Seasons-of-death should also have a better way of separating teams level on points. Not GD or scored, reward yellow and red cards.

I've thought about this far to much for a man my age.

Now we're talking. 

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

What is this witchcraft?

credit where credit is due, I know it ultimately boils down to the player wanting to stay but convincing him Fir park is the best place for his development is good going. 

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

No. They weren't invited to parties in high school either.

3 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

credit where credit is due, I know it ultimately boils down to the player wanting to stay but convincing him Fir park is the best place for his development is good going. 

Aye, I know it would be churlish not to credit SK at all in this case and there's no doubt a bit of relationship building, selling the chance etc involved but generally speaking i think you're right.

These kids will have been imagining turning pro for several years and, together with their families (for sure) and agents (probably) they will have long decided which path they want to take. Just as we were never keeping Bailey Rice, there's a distinct impression we were never losing Miller, unless we totally played the arsehole, because he'd weighed up the pros and cons and was always happy to stay.

5 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Long away run without winning? Never mind, t's Fir Park on Saturday.

We've all seen it.

You just know...

Unbeaten in our last 3 outings v Hibs. 

I'm positive. 

I think.

4 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Long away run without winning? Never mind, t's Fir Park on Saturday.

We've all seen it.

You just know...

I love these three-way scenarios when the positive result someone needs can vary depending on someone else. 

Assuming Rangers win ofc...

If we're 0-0 v Hibs with 15 to go (don't laugh, or call it 2-2) and Dundee are losing 1-0, of course we need to risk everything and go for it but Hibs are in a wonderful dilemma. They'll know Dundee will also be risking everything for a goal so do they shut up shop for their draw and rely on Aberdeen holding on as well or do they keep pushing for a winner incase Dundee score?  

If both games are draws late on, Dundee will also know a late winner likely at Fir Park (because both will be playing 2-3-5 at this point) which means they'll probably feel obliged to go for it a bit as well (in case the goal falls for Hibs) which opens the risk Aberdeen mug them.

Utterly fantastic. As much as I don't get too wound up by the top six in general when Europe is beyond us, there's no doubt this kind of drama is great fun for 90 minutes regardless... Rangers better fucking win on Wednesday!

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Assuming Rangers win ofc...

This is the thing making me most nervous btw. 

Everyone assuming that Dundee will lose, taking it to the final day; this sounds like a perfect time for a bit of Dundee Things.

Ultimately, Top Six at this stage is a massive bonus ball for us, but yeah, it would not surprise me at all to see Tony Doors head home a 96th minute winner for them.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is the thing making me most nervous btw. 

Everyone assuming that Dundee will lose, taking it to the final day; this sounds like a perfect time for a bit of Dundee Things.

Ultimately, Top Six at this stage is a massive bonus ball for us, but yeah, it would not surprise me at all to see Tony Doors head home a 96th minute winner for them.

Very fair. Rangers are clearly fragile as well, score a couple early and great but a massive bottle job from them wouldn't surprise you either.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye, I know it would be churlish not to credit SK at all in this case and there's no doubt a bit of relationship building, selling the chance etc involved but generally speaking i think you're right.

These kids will have been imagining turning pro for several years and, together with their families (for sure) and agents (probably) they will have long decided which path they want to take. Just as we were never keeping Bailey Rice, there's a distinct impression we were never losing Miller, unless we totally played the arsehole, because he'd weighed up the pros and cons and was always happy to stay.

Aye but I suppose the difference with someone like Miller was he made his debut literally about a week after he turned 16.

He’s never really been back out the squad since. I mean it’s probably easier to commit your future to the club when you know you’re going straight into the first team squad and even getting some minutes the second you turn pro. 

Cause let’s face it, what else did we really have to offer? I imagine facilities and standard of coaching will be much better at Brighton’s academy for example than ours, as will the money on offer. If there’s not a genuine path to first team football, these boys will be away- which is why I wasn’t surprised to see Kettlewell chucking Wells on against Aberdeen a few weeks back. 

Hopefully, we get to see a bit more from him and likes of Ferrie, Ross etc post split. 

Edited by Casagolda

24 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Cause let’s face it, what else did we really have to offer? I imagine facilities and standard of coaching will be much better at Brighton’s academy for example than ours, as will the money on offer. If there’s not a genuine path to first team football, these boys will be away- which is why I wasn’t surprised to see Kettlewell chucking Wells on against Aberdeen a few weeks back. 

I dunno if Kettlewell is capable of keeping these chats short but I like to imagine him simply showing Wells the gaping holes in the budget for next season and throwing him a number eight shirt.