Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, santheman said:

Football and politics just don't mix and only causes division so probably better giving it a wide berth tbh.

well said, which is why I've removed a few posts. If you want to debate politics, sexuality, and gender identity, there are better places to do it. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

well said, which is why I've removed a few posts. If you want to debate politics, sexuality, and gender identity, there are better places to do it. 

To be fair. The political discussion started with the comments about folk on the board being too left wing. 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I 100% agree this is a football forum. That is why I am here. 

But if I may suggest that you want to remove political posts, perhaps (just a thought) you should remove the post/s a couple of pages back that started all this sh1t ? 

Just now, welldaft said:

But if I may suggest that you want to remove political posts, perhaps (just a thought) you should remove the post/s a couple of pages back that started all this sh1t ? 

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning a board member's particular leanings in the context of a thread about that particular club. It's only when people start debating other political issues (such as gender and sexuality) that the thread is in danger of getting diverted. We don't want to delete stuff more than necessary. 

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Guess that's directed at me for highlighting some of the mental comments levelled at WS Board members, questioning their direction and motives (and therefore I'd argue it is implied also their integrity).

You've had a bit of a bad morning on here, best move on before you end up in P&B jail.

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning a board member's particular leanings in the context of a thread about that particular club. It's only when people start debating other political issues (such as gender and sexuality) that the thread is in danger of getting diverted. We don't want to delete stuff more than necessary. 

Nobody was debating anyone’s gender or sexuality. I correctly pointed out that would and should not be tolerated, so why should the other stuff be allowed especially naming actual individuals. Should you not take a dim view on that ? 

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Guess that's directed at me for highlighting some of the mental comments levelled at WS Board members, questioning their direction and motives (and therefore I'd argue it is implied also their integrity).

You've had a bit of a bad morning on here, best move on before you end up in P&B jail.

Not aimed at you at all. 

Not had a bad morning at all. Just saying what I feel is correct. Judging individuals on political persuasion rather than what they can actually offer Motherwell FC / Well Society seems rather narrow minded. 

To answer fully takes us into politics which I'm not inclined to do.

Just remind yourself of the clubs nickname and ask yourself how many people actually can still call that their job.

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Nobody was debating anyone’s gender or sexuality. I correctly pointed out that would and should not be tolerated, so why should the other stuff be allowed especially naming actual individuals. Should you not take a dim view on that ? 

I'd say bringing up gender / sexuality in the first place, then posting a picture of someone eating popcorn, is the very epitome of starting of debate. 

Anyway, back to the football. 

43 minutes ago, santheman said:

Football and politics just don't mix and only causes division so probably better giving it a wide berth tbh.

Yes my "apolitical" post probably stoked this a bit. Apologies to all - it won't happen again

Thought it was interesting that the club put this up:

Mind how soul destroyingly bad it was watching empty stadium fitba on a wonky stream?

On the upside, Chris Long smiled in this one.

Trying to separate politics from anything is a bit weird. Everything is political, I'd suggest the ownership of a club is very political. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Trying to separate politics from anything is a bit weird. Everything is political, I'd suggest the ownership of a club is very political. 

100%. I've never really got the whole "keep politics out of sport" stance for exactly this reason.

Especially in this case, given that part of the brief that surrounded the McMahon video was (I'm paraphrasing) the hope that we could seek partnership with someone in line with the "values" of the club and matched our ethics.

Given the trend toward 'sportswashing' that's prevalent in both football and sport in general it's a fairly natural response to want to establish what the values and ethical stance of the club is in the first place or as a fan owned club what we think those ethics should be.

That is, one way or another, political and tbf, it's a subject that @crazylegsjoe_mfc covers well in his response to @Wellin's post on the previous page.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'd say bringing up gender / sexuality in the first place, then posting a picture of someone eating popcorn, is the very epitome of starting of debate. 

Anyway, back to the football. 

I will gladly get back to the football. But still stand by my view that you cannot judge the value of an individual or specifically what they can offer Motherwell FC based on their political leanings. Anyone trying to back that up and justify that particular point is wrong imho. 

Last words from me. It does not affect me as I tried to cover in one of my entirely rational posts, but to go out of one’s way and make anyone who votes or favours Tory feel unwelcome on this Message Board or supporting MFC is not a good look. Not very inclusive and I doubt that is the community ethos Motherwell so closely encapsulates. I would say exactly the same thing if said person mentioned any other political party in a similar way. 

From what I am hearing about some guests attending Fir Park at the weekend, our singing in the stands better be ‘pitch perfect’.

Also if ’The Boys’ don’t perform then it could lead to a ‘Hunger Games’ stlye free for all.

I’m being a bit daft here, but the spouse of a movie star who has appeared in all of the above is seemingly coming to the game and is interested in investing in the club along with oor Erik B. Seemingly.

Edited by wellboy1991

7 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

From what I am hearing about some guests attending Fir Park at the weekend, our singing in the stands better be ‘pitch perfect’.

Also if ’The Boys’ don’t perform then it could lead to a ‘Hunger Games’ stlye free for all.

I’m being a bit daft here, but the spouse of a movie star who has appeared in all of the above is seemingly coming to the game and is interested in investing in the club along with oor Erik B. Seemingly.

Max Handelman (born May 3, 1973) is an American sportswriter, producer, and blogger. He co-wrote the book Why Fantasy Football Matters: (And Our Lives Do Not) with Erik Barmack. Handelman is married to actress Elizabeth Banks. Handelman co-founded the production company Brownstone Productions, whose first film, Surrogates, was released in 2009

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

Max Handelman (born May 3, 1973) is an American sportswriter, producer, and blogger. He co-wrote the book Why Fantasy Football Matters: (And Our Lives Do Not) with Erik Barmack. Handelman is married to actress Elizabeth Banks. Handelman co-founded the production company Brownstone Productions, whose first film, Surrogates, was released in 2009

Quick off the mark their young Cameron. That’s the lad. 

40 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Also if ’The Boys’ don’t perform then could lead to a ‘Hunger Games’ sty free for all.

:lol:

On 05/04/2024 at 12:04, capt_oats said:

I don't know if you're being facetious about the contacts book thing but he wrote a book, published by Simon and Schuster in 2006 called Why Fantasy Football Matters: (And Our Lives Do Not). What's interesting about that is that it was co-written with Max Handelman - who is Max Handelman you might ask? As well as being a sports writer he's also Elizabeth Banks' husband and partner in Brownstone Productions who produced the Pitch Perfect series, the Charlie's Angels Kristen Stewart re-boot, Cocaine Bear and Bottoms amongst others.

Long and the short of it their estimated net worth according to the internet is $50m. I mean, it's not them who are investing but taking things at face value Barmack seems to be an actual, real person rather than a Walter Mitty type of the Craig Whyte 'wealth off the radar' school.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7iwcxa9nn8ejd2qnz4z