Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

If they're wee then that helps get you on their side. If on the other hand they're a big lump they're struggling to win affection and have to earn it. 

what ever yer into mate

16 hours ago, Wellin said:

There's far worse than MJC on there in my view. Yodo. Wellfan. But the mods allow it and they are very selective in who they call out. Steelboy drags that entire forum down in my view. 

Are you on there as Wellgirl?

16 hours ago, Wellin said:

Yes 

There’s a certain similarity in the posting style. 

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

He had played an entire season before arriving with us; why risk playing him when he could get injured, when on the quite substantial evidence of our recent performances he's not been really been needed (Dundee aside).

There's absolutely no need for him to be up to speed yet and I'll be looking to judge him next season, not this.

Kettlewell took what, 3 months to bed Davor into the team rather than throwing him in straight away? Now look at him. If we have the luxury of time to afford players to get used to the team and their surroundings, we should use it.

Like many others have pointed out, he's been on the park for about 12.5 minutes (on average) in all of his appearances and has scored one and should have had an assist had Oli Shaw not been Oli FUCKING Shaw.

Safe to say we differ on this, he's a professional football player, not Halley's comet or the Turin shroud. Where this cotton wool incubator luxury stuff has came from I have no idea, otherwise all summer signings should get regular game time around Bonfire night which isn't a thing. Our returning players will get 3.5 to 4 weeks off between the end of the season and reporting for pre-season, most will keep their basic fitness up and not go on a 4 week bender (Casey aside).

Not asking for him to be "up to speed" just drip fed in here and there since we were told he was a guy we actively pursued with a purpose. An appearance for him also doesn't need tied into us chasing something from a game.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Are you on there as Wellgirl?

There’s a certain similarity in the posting style. 

I doubt anyone would be willing to reveal their SO user name.
I'm never confirming mine.

8 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'm the type of person who sees a stat like that and then sadly looks it up 😂 this season has been our highest in the SPL / SPFL era, but Alexander's side of 21/22 had 19 goalscorers which you could bump up to 20 by including "own goal". The number of goalscorers has definitely had a surge in recent years, which I suspect the league cup group section and lots of busy January transfer windows explains.

I secretly hoped someone might do the legwork! Bit surprised we’ve had a similar number to that in the past but, like you say, with more cup games and mid-season squad overhauls becoming a regular feature in recent seasons i probably shouldn’t be. 

9 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Safe to say we differ on this, he's a professional football player, not Halley's comet or the Turin shroud. Where this cotton wool incubator luxury stuff has came from I have no idea, otherwise all summer signings should get regular game time around Bonfire night which isn't a thing. Our returning players will get 3.5 to 4 weeks off between the end of the season and reporting for pre-season, most will keep their basic fitness up and not go on a 4 week bender (Casey aside).

Not asking for him to be "up to speed" just drip fed in here and there since we were told he was a guy we actively pursued with a purpose. An appearance for him also doesn't need tied into us chasing something from a game.

You've literally describing his game time since he joined us with that comment in bold, so what else do you want from him or the management at this point?

Who's to say he's not carrying an injury of some kind, hence his limited time on the pitch? He's contributed to our season in the few games I've seen from him. Also, perhaps the staff deemed getting Paton a run out more important to support his injury recovery.

As for your professional footballer comment, yes, he is. And professionals, in whatever walk of life (football or otherwise), need time to bed into a new job, new surroundings etc. Summer signings have a full pre-season with the squad to bed in and get used to that. Moses has come straight in off the back of a full season in Norway to an already established team without much of a rest or time to integrate, later than any of our other January signings.

Given that we have the capability to give him that time without throwing him in and instantly requiring results from him, shows a good degree of man management and understanding from the coaching staff.

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I doubt anyone would be willing to reveal their SO user name.
I'm never confirming mine.

I use the same username on both.

I also use the ignore button on SO so I don't have to read some of the crap the 4 w*****s of the Apocalypse (as they're affectionately known as) write on there

17 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

You've literally describing his game time since he joined us with that comment in bold, so what else do you want from him or the management at this point?

Who's to say he's not carrying an injury of some kind, hence his limited time on the pitch? He's contributed to our season in the few games I've seen from him. Also, perhaps the staff deemed getting Paton a run out more important to support his injury recovery.

As for your professional footballer comment, yes, he is. And professionals, in whatever walk of life (football or otherwise), need time to bed into a new job, new surroundings etc. Summer signings have a full pre-season with the squad to bed in and get used to that. Moses has come straight in off the back of a full season in Norway to an already established team without much of a rest or time to integrate, later than any of our other January signings.

Given that we have the capability to give him that time without throwing him in and instantly requiring results from him, shows a good degree of man management and understanding from the coaching staff.

Usually what happens is players get more game time week after week, not less and less to no appearance.

Of course it could be for a multitude of reasons none of us are party to.

So what's the view on Kettlewell now the season is basically done? Still on a sticky wicket? or has he bought himself another 6 months? What helped you escape the winless run?

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

So what's the view on Kettlewell now the season is basically done? Still on a sticky wicket? or has he bought himself another 6 months? What helped you escape the winless run?

I think he's proven to be a decent young manager who can learn from his (albeit frequent at points) mistakes.

Personally I'm quite looking forward to seeing what he can do with a team that's built around his system with signings he's made himself, having gotten rid of a fair bit of the deadwood in and around the club.

He does have to make better recruitment decisions (Wilkinson, Obika are poor examples) but that's not just on him; we have a head of recruitment who is also part of that.

As for how he turned it around, it was clear from the team's performances that they never once didn't believe in him or turn on him as they did with Alexander and Hammell. He clearly has built a good atmosphere around the club and has expectations for how the players are within that which is getting the best out of a lot of them.

A decent 6/10 for me but I'm expecting him to kick on a bit next season, particularly looking at our defending and cup performances to improve.

I think there is some covenient memory holes here.

Kettlewell had some absolutely stinking line ups. Particularly playing a 2 man midfield of Spittal and Paton for a few games.

There were several games where we had zero attacking threat until we piled forward in the last 10 minutes. 

McGinn at left wing back would be another move he pulled out a few times and it never worked, he couldn't even play right wing back.

Is Kettlewell a good enough manager to get us back into the top 6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

How many did you buy? No judgment purely intruige.....

Skodas or rainbow pants/vest combos? I don't quite cut the same figure as the male model and am very much a M&S boxers man so decided to pass.

44 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think he's fine . There was a while where he seemed to lose his mind and do some mental stuff like mentioned by @Jim McLean's Ghost above.

It's been mentioned on here that he almost stumbled upon this system by accident but we've gone back to actually winning a game here and there so I can't really complain about that, we've still got along way to go defensively but I'm hopeful that a new a Goalkeeper and a new Centre half or 2 will sort that out.

In both seasons he's kept us up comfortably and we've actually played some nice stuff in spells.

My general feeling right now is we could certainly do a lot worse than him.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Is Kettlewell a good enough manager to get us back into the top 6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where do Motherwell fans see your club. As an outsider I'd expect Motherwell to achieve top-6 around every 3rd or 4th season on average depending on internal and external factors .

Edited by 2426255

If you go a run of 15 (FIFTEEN) games without a win then you are going to be under pressure. That's just facts. That's before you even get into the inability to keep clean sheets of it all. 3 (THREE) in 35 (THIRTY FIVE) games...*and* being bodied out the Scottish Cup by Greenock Morton.

There's clearly been a lot going on this season that Kettlewell's had to deal with from being instructed to reduce the player numbers, bring the wage budget into line with a figure that our risk averse board are comfortable with along with a ridiculous injury list and several recalls to key players along the way.

On the bright side, we score goals, are attractive enough to watch and despite the period between September - November where he absolutely lost the run of himself he's keeping his head above water.

I'll be honest a season where we stay up comfortably and beat the **** at Ibrox is a successful enough campaign for me.

As others have said he seems to be doing fine and tbqh that's borne out by his record in comparison to other Motherwell mangers which is better than some while not *quite* as good as others although there are various caveats you can apply to each respectively.

Stuart Kettlewell

Screenshot2024-05-12at15_06_17.thumb.png.7a1d1f75bee6c4b4382641d2eb440ab3.png

Steven Hammell
Screenshot2024-05-12at15_08_40.thumb.png.02ca8218c39caf861388c76d1c8ed0a8.png

Graham Alexander
Screenshot2024-05-12at15_10_49.thumb.png.b5c22a83e605c373715df3e5e7558aec.png

Stephen Robinson

Screenshot2024-05-12at15_07_46.thumb.png.46612afdb3dc37db5b7cb7ed8249a119.png

Mark McGhee

Screenshot2024-05-12at15_12_19.thumb.png.cb979cf81b5457095d4438f4a690df85.png

Ian Baraclough
Screenshot2024-05-12at15_13_14.thumb.png.db2acf76d550cfb663cfc2d7e1e0d5c8.png

Stuart McCall
Screenshot2024-05-12at15_14_13.thumb.png.f70b5d00928edb3474483991753e864e.png

I think only McLeish, Butcher, McCall and Robinson have had a run of over 3 years as managers since Tommy McLean. 

I think stability would be good for a while and I’d like to think Kettlewell will realise that goalkeeper and defending set pieces etc are weaknesses and go and rectify it in the summer. 

I’m a bit worried about replacing Spittal’s goals and assists. Especially if Miller and Bair end up leaving too. 

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m a bit worried about replacing Spittal’s goals and assists.

I wouldn't worry, you'll sign Ali Crawford this Summer for £100 a month and he'll hit 15 goals.