Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, CoF said:

I was gonna post similar, although I'd add in the fact that we are also kinda fun to watch at times. 

I accidentally left that bit out, we have shown we can play some nice stuff, and have some selection of goals to pick from for goal of the season, just a shame half of them are equalizers.

Posted (edited)

Agree that was a fitting end to the season. 

Players shoehorned in out of position? Check. Flat and insipid 1st half? Check. Chuck in the obligatory soft goal? Check. Lose all sense of shape/structure as we throw as many forwards on as possible? You better believe it. We even got to see Mugabi and Kelly staring at each other one last time as an opposition player nips in between them unchallenged to score. 

On the beach or not though, today was pretty much what I’ve come to expect of us at Fir Park this season. We won our first 2 home games back in August, we’ve won 3 in 9 months since- Livi twice and against Derek Adams Ross County. Only the 1 clean sheet in that time as well which is absolutely wild.

I’m still genuinely not sure what to make of Kettlewell or this season, I’m equal parts intrigued and terrified at what he’ll get up to this summer. In 6 months time we could be 3rd or 12th and honestly I don’t think either would surprise me.  

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

What are we playing at? 😂

Also, the shoehorning of Harry Paton is tiresome. Nicholson at RWB? Come on man.

With the ball we're a good team, off the ball we're fucking diabolical and make the same mistakes all the time. 

I mean, from where I was sat we inexplicably started with a back 4. McGinn, Bevis, Blaney, Gent.

Which in and of itself was a giggle that we go the whole season using the back three then pull that out of nowhere and seem surprised that no one seems to have a fucking clue what's going on.

I don't really have beef with Kettlewell but the Paton thing is wild. Tbf, at least he hooked him at HT.

Missed a pen, hit the post, had one cleared off the line and we score a late goal but f**k me you just canne defend like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, from where I was sat we inexplicably started with a back 4. McGinn, Bevis, Blaney, Gent.

Which in and of itself was a giggle that we go the whole season using the back three then pull that out of nowhere and seem surprised that no one seems to have a fucking clue what's going on.

I don't really have beef with Kettlewell but the Paton thing is wild. Tbf, at least he hooked him at HT.

Missed a pen, hit the post, had one cleared off the line and we score a late goal but f**k me you just canne defend like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I too thought it began as a back four, then changed to back three again with Nicholson having to play really deep, no surprise the opening goal came down that side. 

Anyway, is what it is today, poor performance but we've managed to turn around the season to comfortably stay up. 

Caught Kettlewell's post match driving home, actually specifically addressed how bad we've been defensively and said that has to be sorted over the summer, which was refreshing. Suppose at this point he can say a bit more. 

Given how many goals we've scored this season, we haven't half shoot ourselves in the foot with this comedy defending. Third top scorers is wild considering we've finished 9th. 

I think it's fair to say it's been a turbulent season. Some real lows, not winning in 15 & some real highs, winning at Ibrox & Casey causing a meltdown amongst their fans. I did want Ketts gone earlier in the season, especially after the Dingwall humping but I'm glad we stuck with him. He's earned the chance to have a crack at the rebuild and start of next season but can we have more Gent, Vale and Obika and less Obika, Wilkinson and that lad whose name o can't remember from Sheffield United. At our best we can be pretty good and entertaining but at our worst we're absolutely brutal to watch. I know it's never going to always be pretty watching Motherwell but he does need to learn to change things up and playing players out of position (see the above talk about the bold Harrison).

Overall I'm glad the season is done and a break before it all starts again.

Now just wait on the much anticipated released/retained list.

17 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Agree that was a fitting end to the season. 

Players shoehorned in out of position? Check. Flat and insipid 1st half? Check. Chuck in the obligatory soft goal? Check. Lose all sense of shape/structure as we throw as many forwards on as possible? You better believe it. We even got to see Mugabi and Kelly staring at each other one last time as an opposition player nips in between them unchallenged to score. 

On the beach or not though, today was pretty much what I’ve come to expect of us at Fir Park this season. We won our first 2 home games back in August, we’ve won 3 in 9 months since- Livi twice and against Derek Adams Ross County. Only the 1 clean sheet in that time as well which is absolutely wild.

I’m still genuinely not sure what to make of Kettlewell or this season, I’m equal parts intrigued and terrified at what he’ll get up to this summer. In 6 months time we could be 3rd or 12th and honestly I don’t think either would surprise me.  

Sums up today, the season and my thoughts and fears about Kettlewell perfectly.

Absolute bag of shite. 
Kettlewell hasn't a fucking clue. 

Same old pish all season. Surprised we didn't claw back a "brave, battling" draw.

Another team who were a complete bag of shite all year and we've let them shit on our chests.

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nice photo like.

GN9VhAtXwAA1emb?format=jpg&name=large

Long gone before that. No inclination to reward the utter shite we have seen all season, summed up by the abject performance, tactics and formation today.

Posted (edited)

I said after the Hibs game (and at many other points) that given what's been thrown at him, SK has done a credible job to get us survival with relative comfortability this season and that is still the case.

Today had square pegs in round holes, unnecessarily rearranging the defence, rigid tactics and daft substitutes. All things prevalent earlier in the season that I had kinda credited Ketts with Iearning from. Which is a concern.

The annoying thing is that we had enough chances to take something from that game and conceded two soft goals (shock, I know). I'm sure all parties would have enjoyed the Mugabi send off a lot better if it had been five minutes at the end, rather than his first start in two months with a Mugabi special for both Saints goals.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

5 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Long gone before that. No inclination to reward the utter shite we have seen all season, summed up by the abject performance, tactics and formation today.

Good for you.

The most worrying thing is not that we end the season at home with a predictable whimper to another poor team, but that Kettlewell is still throwing out the same mental formations and subs that he has been all season.

It’s one thing to keep us up with all that was going on in the back ground but he doesn’t appear to be learning.  

We can’t go into next season seeing all of the above every week. 

21 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

We can’t go into next season seeing all of the above every week. 

Definitely but getting it right and winning today would have been largely met with a shrug (quite rightly) so I'm not going mental either at making a mess of it.

We clearly need a good summer and we clearly need our young manager to develop a bit.

There's no inherent reason why those things shouldn't happen and simultaneously to there's no guarantee it'll happen either.

But scratch is a better starting position than our last two seasons so I'm happy to see how the dice roll.

I'll hold off panicking till Joe Lewis is confirmed number one and Obileye is our new first pick at the back 🙂