Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Why were the St Johnstone fans in the upper tier ? 

I suppose the real question is why can't we stick the away fans up there for every game ?

Looked like paint work or something had started on the lower tier. Not sure what decision came first though.

Might be a valid reason this time but I generally can't be fucked with it - most Scottish grounds are at least half empty so it's hard enough to get a bit of atmosphere and spectacle in games. Punting fans into the heavens and leaving blocks of empty seats always does my nut no matter who is playing* or which ground it's at. 

*obvious exceptions apply

I genuinely don’t know how i feel about Kettlewell taking us forward next season. He clearly has flaws and during that ridiculous run of no wins I would have drove him back to Dingwall without asking for petrol money.
My defence of him is that it’s not the shite we watched under Alexander and Hammell and he kept us safe for another season.

Next season could be a top 6 finish + trip tae hampden or we could be in the relegation playoffs again it’s just the joys of following Motherwell 

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Oxborough is apparently signing an extension. Still going to be the second place keeper.

Kelly's Agent is apparently toting " £10,000 a week" offers coming from down south. Which tbf is something we just cannot compare with. And apparently the new no. 1 we are looking at is.....

You just trying to depress me and make piss my pants laughing at the same time. I wouldn’t pay 10000 yen for Liam Kelly. 

Posted (edited)

To be honest I was fkin raging at that 2nd goal. Don't know why because it sums up our defensive frailties quite neatly. 

I did stay and clap the players and to be fair it took all my strength to do so. The overwhelming desire was to head for the exit at FT. All that said we did stay (relatively) clear of relegation and the Manager and most of the players deserve credit for that. 

I am kinda resigned that with our current budget we will be bottom 4 / 5 for the foreseeable future with ongoing battles to avoid the drop. Unless Netflix guy has deep pockets. I don’t believe he does.  Just have to hope that Dundee and St Mirren morph back into their normal positions below us. 

All I ask for next season is we are more defensively solid. This going behind in every game and normally to the opposition 1st shot on target gets a bit irritating after a full season. Just have to hope we don’t start by signing Obileye and Joe Lewis as is widely rumoured 😫

Edited by welldaft

34 minutes ago, welldaft said:

To be honest I was fkin raging at that 2nd goal. Don't know why because it sums up our defensive frailties quite neatly. 

I think its mainly due to Kelly being the Captain. He should be the one in charge and most of the time he either gets it wrong or doesn't do anything (like the second goal)

By that point, I knew we had already lost and kept myself comforted that this is his last ever game with us. 

Although, those rumours I've heard of us getting Joe Lewis as his replacement on the cheap......

Those same rumours also day that we (the well society board) are just going to outright reject the Netflix guy bid without even putting it to a vote. Some news should show up next week regarding it.

A game that summed up our stupid season. Stick an attacking midfield player at RWB, shoehorn Paton in where he never should be and have a defence drop a clanger. 

Kelly had one very good save but their second goal was exactly the type of goal we've conceded all season.

Bring me the list of who is getting booted ASAP.

20 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I think its mainly due to Kelly being the Captain. He should be the one in charge and most of the time he either gets it wrong or doesn't do anything (like the second goal)

By that point, I knew we had already lost and kept myself comforted that this is his last ever game with us. 

Although, those rumours I've heard of us getting Joe Lewis as his replacement on the cheap......

Those same rumours also day that we (the well society board) are just going to outright reject the Netflix guy bid without even putting it to a vote. Some news should show up next week regarding it.

Can they do that? Without asking the members? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Wellin said:

I think it depends on thow the WS was incorporated as an organisation and if the Board can make decisions without consulting the membership. I'm struggling to think of a situation where a question (e.g. VAR, considering giving up fan ownership) like that hasn't been put to members?

If they do indeed go ahead with a decision such as that, for me at least, there will need to be a significantly detailed justification for making that decision, alongside a just as detailed proposal outlining their plans to meet the shortfall/a similar level of investment in the club that was being proposed.

Edit: as @Handsome_Devil has said below, if it is as the rumours go (e.g. a pittance for >50% of the club) it can rightly get in the sea.

Edited by StAndrew7

4 minutes ago, Wellin said:

Legally, sure. All kinds of people might ask to buy the club and you're not going to run to the members to vote on it every time.

On this one specifically, it's much trickier given how it's gone publicly and with the seeming encouragement of the executive board. But quite frankly if - massive if ofc - the rumoured numbes are true and couldn't be substantially improved in negotiations, I personally have no problems with them just saying gtf.

Others who are pro investment at almost any cost might be unhappy but I'd guess the loudest in that regard probably aren't members so they will have more shouting to do but little more.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Genuinely think we should announce the retained list over the tannoy at half time.

If it ever gets announced. 🫠👀

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Legally, sure. All kinds of people might ask to buy the club and you're not going to run to the members to vote on it every time.

On this one specifically, it's much trickier given how it's gone publicly and with the seeming encouragement of the executive board. But quite frankly if - massive if ofc - the rumoured numbes are true and couldn't be substantially improved in negotiations, I personally have no problems with them just saying gtf.

Others who are pro investment at almost any cost might be unhappy but I'd guess the loudest in that regard probably aren't members so they will have more shouting to do but little more.

I think this phrasing from one of the WS responses kind of implies that.

Things are at an early stage and we do not have the information as yet to reach a decision on whether we, as the elected representatives of the Well Society, believe that an agreement would be credible or beneficial to the football club.

However, should these discussions between the Executive Board and investor prove successful, we would then be in a position to formulate our own position and - most importantly - consult with members of the Well Society on how to proceed, sharing detailed information with you at that stage.

I thought at the time it read along the lines of the WS being able to make a judgement call and the implication is that they'd only take the offer to the membership if it was deemed to be "credible or beneficial to the football club".

There's definitely an interesting dynamic at play seeing as it's the "Executive Board" who seemed to be driving the discussion. Tbh, it's kind of why the whole "tail wagging the dog" situation with the ownership model feels as backward IMO.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think this phrasing from one of the WS responses kind of implies that.

I thought at the time it read along the lines of the WS being able to make a judgement call and the implication is that they'd only take the offer to the membership if it was deemed to be "credible or beneficial to the football club".

There's definitely an interesting dynamic at play seeing as it's the "Executive Board" who seemed to be driving the discussion. Tbh, it's kind of why the whole "tail wagging the dog" situation with the ownership model feels as backward IMO.

The second paragraph below the one you bolded is interesting too, there's a clear acknowledgement of the Exec Board leading the discussions, then an emphasis on engaging/presenting details of any potential investment and the WS Board's position to the membership.

The whole situation does show up our fan ownership model as not really being fan ownership though, as you allude to.

Edit: I was going to mention that to add to the mystery that Barmack hadn't tweeted anything about the game today, but he's just done it. 😅

Edited by StAndrew7

34 minutes ago, Wellin said:

I suppose the question should be, do WS members want a filter?

The board was elected by their peers to best represent them you'd hope after reading their CV's and hustings statements. You'd expect all members to be 100% behind the concept, mission and ideals of fan ownership and at least protect it rather than sell it out. The board are exposed to certain commercially sensitive information to allow decision making which can't be put into the public domain for obvious reasons. But there are frequent elections that allow any of 3,000 adult members to stand.

It was alluded that there were 7 plus offers received off the back of the video at the AGM, 2 were deemed credible if not transformational. This was information lead by our interim CEO and Chairman. We were told 5 were decided to be tyre kickers or so heinous they were shelved. One was entertained for far longer than it should when a quick google search would have told you everything you needed to know.

I suppose the question really should be, looking at the current makeup of the WS board are you confident they will do the right thing by the membership. Since the last election I'm very much 100% yes the majority will.

Posted (edited)

On Oxborough, only reservations on keeping him Is his alleged high wage. Haven’t seen any of him to know if he’s actually any good.

Edited by Alanos

I think the WS can punt the bid into the sea if it is a lot of shite. Like the other one that went nowhere.

40 minutes ago, Alanos said:

On Oxborough, only reservations on keeping him Is his alleged high wage. Haven’t seen any of him to know if he’s actually any good.

Aye. You'd hope it'll be on reduced terms, given his lack of appearances.