Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

354269(1).jpg.7e0993c05386f862cf09f6783c6fbead.jpg

That folk wouldn't have had nearly as much of a problem with Kelly if the club/media team didn't decide to do stuff like this is absolutely a hill I'll die on.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

That folk wouldn't have had nearly as much of a problem with Kelly if the club/media team didn't decide do stuff like this is absolutely a hill I'll die on.

Absolutely agree, said a few pages back, he's not absolutely terrible but he's not the 'world-class' keeper the media team hype him up to be. Actually wonder who thought clipping that up after yesterday would be a good idea. 

It has to be club playing up the good bits to try and get him that final place in the Scotland squad....has to be. Wether that's got any validity or not is a different story...

Otherwise literally what would the point be. 

As a complete side bar, I gave the game a heavy dinghy yesterday for reasons mainly to do with beer and sun, did Barry Maguire come out at the end for a walkabout?

Just now, eliphas said:

It has to be club playing up the good bits to try and get him that final place in the Scotland squad....has to be. Wether that's got any validity or not is a different story...

As a complete side bar, I gave the game a heavy dinghy yesterday for reasons mainly to do with beer and sun, did Barry Maguire come out at the end for a walkabout?

Aye, he's in the photo posted on the other page.

Right of the shot, next to big Aston.

GN9VhAtXwAA1emb?format=jpg&name=large

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The club also do post goals even if we lose. I don't see it as much different tbh although probably not the wisest decision to talk up his good parts of the game given we got beat. 

51 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Absolutely agree, said a few pages back, he's not absolutely terrible but he's not the 'world-class' keeper the media team hype him up to be. Actually wonder who thought clipping that up after yesterday would be a good idea. 

Because they still want, forgive the pun, shot of him.

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, he's in the photo posted on the other page.

Right of the shot, next to big Aston.

GN9VhAtXwAA1emb?format=jpg&name=large

The wee guy crying next to Liam Kelly is the thread encapsulated.

33 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Given the amount clubs get paid for players going to international tournaments and how skint Scottish football teams are it's fair enough really, isn't it?

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Weirdly, I was more annoyed after yesterday than I have been after a lot of "meaningful" games we've lost this season. I think because it was a nice day, good turn out and I was hoping for/expecting a positive end to the season - the fact it turned out to be a Greatest Hits of what's put us where we are had me totally scunnered too.

Probably the worst thing about the past season, taking into account the fact that most supporters only see us regularly at home, is the amount of time we've spent behind in games at Fir Park - and yesterday was a prime example from many. For all that we're safe and have scored a lot of good goals - it's still been a really poor year for home supporters (unless they love watching opposition goalkeepers doing really slow goal kicks for an hour every fortnight).

Yep agree with all of this. Despite the game being “ meaningless “ to an extent I’m still pretty pissed off that we couldn’t sign off the season in a positive fashion in the sunshine in front of our own fans.

I thought St Johnstone were utter dreck but you don’t even have to be a competent side  to take three points from us -we just gift wrap goals every other week at 30 mins. Hugely frustrating.

I'm not entirely sure that yesterday's result was down to a lack of effort. For the most part it seemed like the team as a whole were showing some level of application. It's just a pity some of them are really shite at fitba. 

Sad to see Spittal go, and Vale and Gent return to their parent clubs, but by fvck I'm glad to see the back of most of those on the way out.

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The only valid excuse for delaying the GTF list announcement is if Kettlewell's in his office like:

mean girls burn book GIF

Or, say, we have "top targets" that we miss out on and we have to go back to our current free agents...

Posted (edited)

If Nicholson is going to be the Spittal replacement I find it an interesting one, they're around the same age and broke through at the same time, but Nicholson was probably the more highly rated of the two basically until Kettlewell came in here and took Spittal's game on massively? 

Not that it's as simple as saying Nicholson was better than Spittal 10 years ago so he should be getting double figure G/As easily enough too but I'd like to see him get the chance. He doesn't sound like he'll be too difficult to deal with unless something weird happens or we get gazumped.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

12 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I'm not entirely sure that yesterday's result was down to a lack of effort. For the most part it seemed like the team as a whole were showing some level of application. It's just a pity some of them are really shite at fitba. 

Sad to see Spittal go, and Vale and Gent return to their parent clubs, but by fvck I'm glad to see the back of most of those on the way out.

We hit the post, had two cleared off the line and missed a penalty. We should have won comfortably, in all honesty.

There was a spell at the start of the second half where we created some chances, which brought out some incredible last ditch tackles and saves from St Johnstone. If we'd scored then, I think we'd have gone on to win it. Tbh if the penalty went in (and Bair definitely needs to work on his technique, it relies too much on a really clean strike which you won't always get with his side foot style) I think we'd have won.

Once that period early in the second half was over, Levein immediately took Clark off and put Considine on to turn it into a 6-3-1 or whatever to see it out and they did.

13 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

We hit the post, had two cleared off the line and missed a penalty. We should have won comfortably, in all honesty.

There was a spell at the start of the second half where we created some chances, which brought out some incredible last ditch tackles and saves from St Johnstone. If we'd scored then, I think we'd have gone on to win it. Tbh if the penalty went in (and Bair definitely needs to work on his technique, it relies too much on a really clean strike which you won't always get with his side foot style) I think we'd have won.

Once that period early in the second half was over, Levein immediately took Clark off and put Considine on to turn it into a 6-3-1 or whatever to see it out and they did.

This is spot on for me. Other than Kelly's "wondersave" they didn't really trouble us and we had lots of chances. The margin could possibly have been playing a forward as a wing-back and starting a rusty centre half for the first time in two months.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

The wee guy crying next to Liam Kelly is the thread encapsulated.

That wee guy is the only thing he's held onto all year. 

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

This is spot on for me. Other than Kelly's "wondersave" they didn't really trouble us and we had lots of chances. The margin could possibly have been playing a forward as a wing-back and starting a rusty centre half for the first time in two months.

Tbf there were a few times they threatened to get in behind. There were a couple of really good recoveries from Bevis but in general aye, even Kelly's 'wondersave' (which was an outrageous stop to give him his due) was our own doing with us leathering a clearance off Clark.

Anyway, it's kind of been missed in the whole end of season post-mortem (and I literally missed it as I'd fucked off up the road with 5 mins to go) but it was actually a nice finish from Ebiye for the goal.