Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Posted (edited)

My prediction is that Oxborough will play this season, be really good, and we'll all be perplexed as to why we spent so long persevering with a keeper who was struggling whilst we had quality like that kicking his heels on the bench.

Based on nothing other than the "lather, rinse, repeat" principle.

Edited by Al B

1 hour ago, Dosser1886 said:

Maybe, but not really any point in him being here if he isn't half decent or get any game time to show how good/bad/indifferent he is. There for emergencies I know but if Kelly's performances this season didn't warrant a bit emergency replacement goal keeper time I don't know what will.

I'm convinced sub goalies are as much there for emergencies as they are just so the main goalie and coach have some pals and so the squad can play practice matches

6 minutes ago, Al B said:

My prediction is that Oxborough will play this season, be really good, and we'll all be perplexed as to why we spent so long persevering with a keeper who was struggling whilst we had quality like that kicking his heels on the bench.

I said in a previous post that he is apparently rated highly by the coaching team, especially the goalkeeping coach. I assume why they have offered him another contract.

But totally agree. If he does turn out to be a decent keeper, we will all be baffled and bewildered as to why he did not get any league minutes whilst Kelly was doing his best Samson impersonations. 

I still wonder if he has been signed as back up but sold he will compete with our other keeper whomever that is. And as it is a fresh start and as the new keeper will not be called Liam Kelly then that may be very true 🤞.

20 minutes ago, Al B said:

My prediction is also that Oxborough will play as no.1 this season, be really shite, and we'll need to scramble about in January to get a loan 'keeper in to keep us up. 

Whoever is wrong gets the Chasni pies in at the first Scottish Cup home game.

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

My prediction is also that Oxborough will play as no.1 this season, be really shite, and we'll need to scramble about in January to get a loan 'keeper in to keep us up. 

Whoever is wrong gets the Chasni pies in at the first Scottish Cup home game.

Deal! A genuine 50/50 bet is always exciting! 🤣

58 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Oxborough doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. I'm therefore putting all my eggs in the "pish" basket. 

As in zero public profile, Mich'el Parker levels of pish? Now that was a serious non-entity of a player and very strange signing all round. Props to the guy though, as it looks like he's still somehow eeking some sort of wage out of the game (most recently at Bishops Stortford) despite his transfermarkt showing that he's still barely kicked a first team baw in earnest in his entire puff.  Must have some agent tbf. 

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Club announcement said info on tickets will be coming soon.

I think a pre-season friendly against Livi (who we've been playing four times a season for years) would require the club to pay me a tenner to go to it (any other pre-season friendly, they would need to pay me a fiver). The LC group stages are bad enough but at least there is something at stake (and the chance to get to some different grounds) to make up for the fact that games tend to be fucking dire.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Mich'el Parker levels of pish

I just had to Google him, totally forgot about signing him. 😅

Edited by StAndrew7

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think a pre-season friendly against Livi (who we've been playing four times a season for years) would require the club to pay me a tenner to go to it (any other pre-season friendly, they would need to pay me a fiver). 

It's hardly inspiring but if accepted for what it is, fine...when we play basically public park kickabouts in Holland there will be curiosity about them, did kids get a run, how did the new guys do etc. Half our support will probably be meeting for a beer in the sun anyway, nipping up to FP mid-afternoon might mean they can still actually see by the time the Euro quarters kick-off 🙂

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do we want Morton at home or at Cappielow?

3 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I don't want Roth Raivers (especially away - bogey side) or Falkirk (nasty lot).

I wonder, then, who the two other sides will be.

Dumbarton and ?

We'll play the second seeds at home, unless the rules have changed that's guaranteed.

I'd pick Airdrie from there given the choice.