Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Might have but doesn't seem to have been mentioned, you're apparently signing Kofi Balmer tomorrow.

Yeah, it was mentioned a few pages back before the discussion turned to *other stuff*. It was also brought up the other week before there was any mention in the press.

On 30/05/2024 at 21:21, wellboy1991 said:

Potential all Irish defence next year…. Sounds like we are signing another Irish centre half. Been mentioned on here before. Kofi Balmer from Crystal Palace. 

Also heard. Not surprisingly, that Nicholson and SODs have agreed new deals, 2yrs and 1 yr respectively. 

Lost out on 3 keepers so far aswell. 

3 hours ago, dezz said:

When you heading off? We fly out next Thursday - can't bloody wait.

Any other contributors to The Thread TM heading out?

Flying out next Thursday, we're flying out to Brussels, 5 of us. we're then driving to Munchen. We've 2 nights there, Then on to a Town called Fulda where we are basing ourselves. before one night in Stuttgart. Then we fly home. 

I'll go back for a semi. 

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm doing Munich, Cologne, Stuttgart, aye, to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Will be making it up to the missus for quite some time, I imagine...

Aye like others have said I've had to pay for things etc to smooth the path. Her fault though, asked If I was going as I was screaming about Germany after Kenny McLean's goal.
Also, is there more than one Berlin based 'Well fan? Or do we have mutual friends? 

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Agreed. 

Is he insisting on a controlling stake for a pittance though? Or is that internet chat and the casting of him as the big evil bad guy who is going to f**k the club over stoking the fire more? 

I guess that's why I don't like this narrative I see online. Not just @Busta Nut btw, I don't want to this to come across as a direct attack, I think it's rife across many people on here who have an interest (and outside of MFC too...it's just the way of the world).

Unless people are working with inside info from WS or Club contacts that is and know these things to be true 

In all honesty I don't know anything we here on The Thread haven't seen or mentioned to be rumoured. I admire your open mindedness but I am severely pessimistic about these things, particularly when it's a random bloke from the middle of nowhere.

I think the only "outside" investment I would entertain would be for us to sell our souls to some mad Arab prince with unlimited money. Even then, I'd rather run within ourselves as a fan owned club before that anaw.  

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Also, is there more than one Berlin based 'Well fan? Or do we have mutual friends? 

If there's another I've yet to find him or her...and yes, mutual friends, I suspect we've even met in real life for a pre/post-match beer at some point but said friends now often bring a long a cast of dozens I don't know so it's hard to keep track!

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If there's another I've yet to find him or her...and yes, mutual friends, I suspect we've even met in real life for a pre/post-match beer at some point but said friends now often bring a long a cast of dozens I don't know so it's hard to keep track!

Next time yer over then

4 hours ago, dezz said:

Yes I will be watching the Germany game in a Spanish boozer next week but I’m heading over to Cologne for a few nights on the Monday. 

5 hours ago, dezz said:

Flying to Dusseldorf from EDI via BHX on Tues 18th. Train down to Cologne for the Switzerland match.

Arrive the evening before the match and fly back later on the 20th same route. 

Was considering hospitality a while back but not at 1500 Euros (exc VAT) and not even for a sit down meal ! I am long standing member of Supporters club but as I only attend most of the home games I missed out on the allocation. Have 3 tickets for me and 2 of my friends. Paid well over the odds but hopefully worth it 🤞.

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm also in the Supporters Club but don't go to friendlies. If I'd gone to the England and Poland friendlies I'd have been on 12 points rather than 10 and would have been guaranteed tickets. No idea at the time unfortunately. 

I had a friend who worked at Queens Park. A couple of times he got free tickets and likewise and ultimately I regret taking them as it cost me points wise. Let’s face it 36,000 members and only 10,000 got tickets. 

Also a bit ticked off that the discount for Scotland tops (sold as a benefit) was unavailable for the latest tops. A bit off that imho…

5 hours ago, Lukovic said:

Booked before the draw was made so will be in Berlin for the first game before doing a tour of Germany and making Cologne and Stuttgart for the last two games.

The semi and the final? 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Then on to a Town called Fulda where we are basing ourselves. 

Ah, the Fulda gap. Watch out for the Red Army driving west.

35 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Ah, the Fulda gap. Watch out for the Red Army driving west.

Yeah, the place most likely to have an Allied nuke fired at, to catch the main Russian tank concentration before it breaks into open country.
These are  things you remember when you've read Team Yankee, Red Storm Rising and World War 3 as a kid :D  

Anyway, I've not been paying attention, have we signed anyone yet?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeah, the place most likely to have an Allied nuke fired at, to catch the main Russian tank concentration before it breaks into open country.
These are  things you remember when you've read Team Yankee, Red Storm Rising and World War 3 as a kid :D  

I re-read RSR every couple of years. Team Yankee as well. Larry Bond's stuff post RSR is good, too; Red Phoenix, Cauldron and Vortex are particularly enjoyable.

Chieftains is a decent read from a British perspective and can recommend Mark Greaney's Red Metal (not Cold War though) too, I enjoyed that.

Edited by StAndrew7

24 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

The season ended about 2 weeks ago and this is what the thread  has descended into. 

The off-season in full swing 🤣

Don't worry you'll get your wish for Motherwell based content in the next few days.

13 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'd rather have new roof on the Hunter Stand and get rid of the bloody awful tacky roof advertising.

It's never looked the same since they removed "Keep cigarettes away from the match". (Great pun, though.)