Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Peter Millar said:

But it’s not just TLC. Fir Park needs redeveloped like other clubs have done with their ground. The view in some parts of the East Stand is crap, the leg room in the O’Donnell is miserable to say the least. The kiosks offer a miserly selection of food. I could go on.

I don’t know the situation with Paul Sloane and Bailey Rice but they are definitely exceptions. Most parents now are really discerning about where their child is going, the training regime, support for homework, what is the medical support like, exit strategies such as are there partnerships with other clubs in case their kid doesn’t make it and has to drop down the pyramid.

Have you included labour costs and equipment hire for the roof of the new stand. 100K seems a little light.

A 250k in a 5/6 million turnover is better than nothing but it’s not really touching the sides.

The club needs proper investment to sustain growth. Hopefully the Well Society proposal will reflect this.

250k in a 750k funding gap is a third of it.

You do make arguments like Erik, I only say this because I've got 40 hours logged talking to him.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

See while this is all very interesting and important, and not to diverge from that; I'd mentioned previously about an article I'd written ranking the last 20 years of our incredible double figures record.

You can read it, and argue about it if you like;

Even as someone who has been aware of the enchanted number 9 jersey for a long time - the 1999 stat surprised me and the further I read through it, the more ridiculous the whole thing became. 

Porter was the calmest finisher we've ever had (maybe Devante was close) and he was part of a brilliant front 3 (and scored an all-timer at Tynecastle post-phil) - but I would still maybe swap him and KVV around as Kev was enjoyable chaos and chaos > calmness.

100% on the top 3 though...

12 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

@Peter Millar see you've been a member on SOL since 2010, however only started posting for the first time 2 days after the scheme went live on the 10th of June 2024. Posts are exclusively on the scheme (not the new strip, transfers or social media content).

One thing that is consistent is pretty much tyre kicking the clubs value or ability to be successful without Erik's influence.

So, is there anything anyone on here can do to make you reject this?

I’m not sure the length of my membership with SOL has to do with anything but it’s the club I love and I think I have as much to offer the debate as anyone else. I’m not too bothered about new strips, and I’ve been watching players, directors, owners, managers, comms plans etc come and go for years. The one consistent has been the fans.

The things I have been consistently consistent on since you’ve mentioned it are - I don’t think American based ownership has worked in Scotland, as courageous and hardworking as they are I don’t think the current Well Society board have the skills to direct the Executive Board towards meaningful growth. I like Erik’s big thinking, however I hope the Well Society can produce a proposal that I can vote for and prove me wrong. I earnestly hope for that.

i don’t think anything anyone can say will change my mind on American based ownership. Erik would need to do that if he wins the vote, and I do as I have said hope the Well Society prove me wrong but only their proposal will do that.

16 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

250k in a 750k funding gap is a third of it.

You do make arguments like Erik, I only say this because I've got 40 hours logged talking to him.

It still doesn’t touch the sides in providing sustainable growth

I had hoped this was a discussion rather than argument.

Edited by Peter Millar
Missed words. Should have gone to specsavers

5 minutes ago, Peter Millar said:

It still doesn’t touch the sides in providing sustainable growth

I'm not arguing.

If 250k extra for finishing 10th "doesn't touch the sides", intrigued to know exactly does 300k from Erik do?

No questioning the length of time you have been on it, 14 years is quite a while without any contributions, but then boom, 12th of June and you're up and running. It's the nature of your posting. On one topic and that only. The subject is so important you join here to carry it on.

Edited by Vietnam91

5 minutes ago, Peter Millar said:

I like Erik’s big thinking, however I hope the Well Society can produce a proposal that I can vote for and prove me wrong. I earnestly hope for that.

Again, in the spirit of discussion; what big thinking? 

Genuinely yet to see anything that quantifies such a title.

10 minutes ago, Peter Millar said:

I’m not sure the length of my membership with SOL has to do with anything but it’s the club I love and I think I have as much to offer the debate as anyone else. I’m not too bothered about new strips, and I’ve been watching players, directors, owners, managers, comms plans etc come and go for years. The one consistent has been the fans.

The things I have been consistently consistent on since you’ve mentioned it are - I don’t think American based ownership has worked in Scotland, as courageous and hardworking as they are I don’t think the current Well Society board have the skills to direct the Executive Board towards meaningful growth. I like Erik’s big thinking, however I hope the Well Society can produce a proposal that I can vote for and prove me wrong. I earnestly hope for that.

i don’t think anything anyone can say will change my mind on American based ownership. Erik would need to do that if he wins the vote, and I do as I have said hope the Well Society prove me wrong but only their proposal will do that.

Are we voting on a Well Society proposal?

7 minutes ago, Peter Millar said:

i don’t think anything anyone can say will change my mind 

4 minutes ago, Peter Millar said:

I know I'm quoting you selectively and out of context, but the juxtaposition here tickled me somewhat.

Several people have pointed out to you above that it's not an either/or face-off between the Wild Sheep proposal and the Well Society, but you haven't acknowledged this, and keep coming back to it as pretty much the sole factor in your vote. Perhaps you could explain this?

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not that I don't love Higdon but KVV is a level above him for me. Similar goal returns in astronomically worse teams but with much more individual entertainment value while somehow having an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

On a pure ability basis: Without doubt, but I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a player as much as Higdon. From what we expected, to what we got, no-one came close. That goal at Tannadice where the ball bobbled, and because of the bobble, it absolutely leathered past the keeper from about 25 yards; perfection. 

That there is still a sect of Motherwell fans that don't recognise him for what he was, and will tell you that he wasn't all that, remains absolutely fucking hilarious to me. Player of the year!

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not that I don't love Higdon but KVV is a level above him for me. Similar goal returns in astronomically worse teams but with much more individual entertainment value while somehow having an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

Higdon getting lifted after the POTY dinner - and also saying in the post match interview "I've got that in me locker" with a straight face after scoring the slowest overhead kick of all time puts him just above KVV for me.

8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I'm not arguing.

If 250k extra for finishing 10th "doesn't touch the sides", intrigued to know exactly does 300k from Erik do?

No questioning the length of time you have been on it, 14 years is quite a while without any contributions, but then boom, 12th of June and you're up and running. It's the nature of your posting. On one topic and that only. The subject is so important you join here to carry it on.

I didn’t say Erik’s 300k would touch the sides I’ve only said I liked some of his ideas and I do. Hopefully I will like the Well Society ideas better and there will be a good deliverable plan there that will provide sustainable growth.

To be honest I’m a bit surprised I’ve posted myself. I never really get that bothered with the politics of football.

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

On a pure ability basis: Without doubt, but I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a player as much as Higdon. From what we expected, to what we got, no-one came close. That goal at Tannadice where the ball bobbled, and because of the bobble, it absolutely leathered past the keeper from about 25 yards; perfection. 

That there is still a sect of Motherwell fans that don't recognise him for what he was, and will tell you that he wasn't all that, remains absolutely fucking hilarious to me. Player of the year!

Aye it's your list at the end of the day! I reckon if I reacquaint myself with a Higdon goal compilation I might see things differently. 

Just now, Peter Millar said:

I didn’t say Erik’s 300k would touch the sides I’ve only said I liked some of his ideas and I do. Hopefully I will like the Well Society ideas better and there will be a good deliverable plan there that will provide sustainable growth.

To be honest I’m a bit surprised I’ve posted myself. I never really get that bothered with the politics of football.

You didn't no, I'll give you that. You said a figure 50,000 quid less wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Higdon getting lifted after the POTY dinner - and also saying in the post match interview "I've got that in me locker" with a straight face after scoring the slowest overhead kick of all time puts him just above KVV for me.

I'm still a bit sad we never got to see the aftermath of a KVV POTY victory speech. It'd definitely be less box office than Higdons but much, much weirder.