Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 hours ago, dezz said:

The weather and euros put me off for tonight but Linlithgow is 100% on my lower league day out list for next season. Easy to get to, plenty pubs and a great wee ground by all accounts. 

Never been the same since the changed the name of The Black Bitch. (Uneducated wokes.)

Staggering that the EB can admit that they don't endorse/weren't fully aware of all aspects of Barmacks business plan before even putting his offer forward. 

Surely a man coming from an executive background in billion dollar companies would have had a working group carrying out research and feasibility studies into implementing his ideas in a new market and what would/wouldn't work? Surely then he'd work with the EB on our side to compile an offer that was palatable and plausible before reaching an agreement worthy of bringing to the table?

Surely from the club side there should have been scrutiny over his ideas and costings, and people on our legal team to basically say "Haud the bus Jim, back the fvck up, this is just fucking insane"?.

Instead they seem to be gambling our future with Erik flashing them a quick screenshot of his Experian Credit Score and an "I'm a goodq guy, honest". Ludicrous.

And yet, all the Facebook Colin's arguing it's the way forward...

O7OBZR.gif.848db674e903b45b51030f84672294ef.gif

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Executive board = the EB

Erik Barmack/Barmark = EB

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Well Society = WS

Wild Sheep = WS

Eric Barmack = Eric Barmark

As if it isn't confusing enough

Another speculative punt...

I think there must be a decent chance that Erik feels he was sold a pup by McMahon/the executive and Dickie/Feely on how the WS/fans would react and has decided to sod it. He threw in the half baked proposal as seeing it through is less embarrassing than abandoning - he can post a 'well played, I admire your fan ownership principles etc, I'll always look out for Motherwell now regardless' statement on the 22nd and be done with us.

There's obviously time for this to change but missing the submission deadline, not working closely with the club (Caldwell and Lindsay would surely have been made available) on the pitch, not correcting false info, not flying over to see the fans (or even having a zoom), pulling back from this forum, no longer tweeting, not adjusting things after direct talks with the Society etc are perhaps all small individual things but they add up to give a strong impression of someone who is not massively committed to a win.

Will be very interested to see if he does interviews - presumably the BBC and the papers would love to have him - or a presser.

Amusingly if it is the case EB has semi-chucked it, it really does leave the EB standing in the middle of nowhere to a hilarious extent.

Time will tell.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

27 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Another speculative punt...

I think there must be a decent chance that Erik feels he was sold a pup by McMahon/the executive and Dickie/Feely on how the WS/fans would react and has decided to sod it. He threw in the half baked proposal as seeing it through is less embarrassing than abandoning - he can post a 'well played, I admire your fan ownership principles etc, I'll always look out for Motherwell now regardless' statement on the 22nd and be done with us.

I 100% think this. Think the board told him it was an open goal and wouldn't be an issue. Can't step away without looking bad for it but I think he'll be happy to move on elsewhere. Wonder which club he'll be watching games and posting images of tops/scarfs via twitter. 

No harm to the guy but I hope this saga ends in two weeks time.

It’s certainly going to be a long old couple of weeks for the outcome! 

in the meantime - big Moses will probably have eclipsed Bair’s entire last season return by the time the outcome is known at this rate 😂

54 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Staggering that the EB can admit that they don't endorse/weren't fully aware of all aspects of Barmacks business plan before even putting his offer forward. 

Surely a man coming from an executive background in billion dollar companies would have had a working group carrying out research and feasibility studies into implementing his ideas in a new market and what would/wouldn't work? Surely then he'd work with the EB on our side to compile an offer that was palatable and plausible before reaching an agreement worthy of bringing to the table?

Surely from the club side there should have been scrutiny over his ideas and costings, and people on our legal team to basically say "Haud the bus Jim, back the fvck up, this is just fucking insane"?.

Instead they seem to be gambling our future with Erik flashing them a quick screenshot of his Experian Credit Score and an "I'm a goodq guy, honest". Ludicrous.

And yet, all the Facebook Colin's arguing it's the way forward...

O7OBZR.gif.848db674e903b45b51030f84672294ef.gif

Hopefully, they might have done that, but if they didnt we might be able to fix that if the proposal goes through, although I probably dont think that will happen!

49 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think there must be a decent chance that Erik feels he was sold a pup by McMahon/the executive and Dickie/Feely on how the WS/fans would react and has decided to sod it.

I made my views on clear lines in the sand for me and what I assumed for lot of the WS membership early on (late Feb, early March). When he didn't believe that, I asked him if he felt my views were an outlier. He conveyed they were contrary to what he understood. During this time he was engaged in many conversations with the support and I know for a fact a number were also providing pushback. The surprise at the strength of feeling conveyed shouldn't really be a shock but it's safe to say there was a healthy degree of wilful ignorance employed. Even when he got the minutes of the emotive May 20th meeting ahead of when he should, he didn't feel a strong sense of pushback.

While this this has very much been an exercise centred with not giving the keys to the WS, WSS have very much been a willing participant.

The club statement on Friday when mentioning both plans said "Having studied both at length". Despite this, the clear inaccuracies and issues contained did not seemingly influence the endorsement of WSS in the rest of the statement.

Edited by Vietnam91

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I made my views on clear lines in the sand for me and what I assumed for lot of the WS membership early on (late Feb, early March). When he didn't believe that, I asked him if he felt my views were an outlier. He conveyed they were contrary to what he understood. During this time he was engaged in many conversations with the support and I know for a fact a number were also providing pushback. The surprise at the strength of feeling conveyed shouldn't really be a shock but it's safe to say there was a healthy degree of wilful ignorance employed. Even when he got the minutes of the emotive May 20th meeting ahead of when he should, he didn't feel a strong sense of pushback.

While this this has very much been an exercise centred with not giving the keys to the WS, WSS have very much been a willing participant.

Yeah, that's certainly a valid point...I guess that even if you talk to several individual fans it's easy to consider them outliers when the executive, including two representatives of the majority shareholding fan organisation, assure you it's fine.

I can understand why he didn't change in late May - why bother to concede cooperation if you have no interest in working like that? In that regard he'd already bought his ticket, can leave it in the raffle just incase but basically start planning to move on.

35% of Well Society members were from day one against losing fan ownership no matter what the offer was, you have to be a special kind of arrogant (you'd be excused for saying stupid) to believe that there wouldn't be a significant pushback from the support.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

35% of Well Society members were from day one against losing fan ownership no matter what the offer was, you have to be a special kind of arrogant (you'd be excused for saying stupid) to believe that there wouldn't be a significant pushback from the support.

On that one, to be fair, saying two-thirds were open to conceding it is also quite a strong starting point...

I certainly don't want to criticise our six heroes on the WS board because half of them only came in late last year, they probably trusted McMahon to behave in good faith, they probably didn't - couldn't - expect Dickie and Feely not to do the dirty but there were definitely times an emergency break could have been hit prior to this. They may well emerge stronger having survived but I think accepting McMahon's premise they - the owners! - had to pitch a fresh idea, accepting a soft as shite poll question etc was an error in accepting the narrative set by him rather than putting their foot down and setting it themselves.

I suspect that'll not happen again any time soon.

So many points and questions I put to him were met just with an "incorrect" but no justification. Why he was so keen to clean the balance sheet by eroding the WS debt (no interest and no repayment schedule) over the Covid loan (which did have a repayment schedule) which would be better overall for the club. No acceptance if you end the reason for the WS being a thing people stop joining/contributing and many, many more.

Over the past three weeks I've been accused of having it in for him. The reality is via my access, I'd just worked out this scheme and motives earlier and my level of frustration and annoyance had a couple of months head start before we all got the details by the 10th of June.

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

On that one, to be fair, saying two-thirds were open to conceding it is also quite a strong starting point...

I certainly don't want to criticise our six heroes on the WS board because half of them only came in late last year, they probably trusted McMahon to behave in good faith, they probably didn't - couldn't - expect Dickie and Feely not to do the dirty but there were definitely times an emergency break could have been hit prior to this. They may well emerge stronger having survived but I think accepting McMahon's premise they - the owners! - had to pitch a fresh idea, accepting a soft as shite poll question etc was an error in accepting the narrative set by him rather than putting their foot down and setting it themselves.

I suspect that'll not happen again any time soon.

I think if the WS board knew about the ensuing Hurricane of Pish (to steal a phrase from The Thick of It) - putting that question to the membership wouldn't have happened or would have been phrased very differently.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think if the WS board knew about the ensuing Hurricane of Pish (to steal a phrase from The Thick of It) - putting that question to the membership wouldn't have happened or would have been phrased very differently.

I think the whole thing is fairly straightforward as well; people voted to consider a proposal that ends with majority ownership ceasing.

That doesn't mean they'd vote for it when it's absolutely, demonstrably, a pile of utter dogshit with nothing behind it but good vibez.

It's obvious the WS knew this offer was awful and wanted the fans to see it, If it was kyboshed  from the off they would have faced unfair criticism. 
They've had faith we'd see through this shite, it's gone better than they could have dreamed. It's just now making sure the idiots are educated.

16 hours ago, eliphas said:

Best post since end of last season. Good stuff. 

Hah, cheers. I’d like to nominate @rowsdower ‘s literary work of art for the accolade (page 2532 if you missed it)

35 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

So many points and questions I put to him were met just with an "incorrect" but no justification. Why he was so keen to clean the balance sheet by eroding the WS debt (no interest and no repayment schedule) over the Covid loan (which did have a repayment schedule) which would be better overall for the club. No acceptance if you end the reason for the WS being a thing people stop joining/contributing and many, many more.

Over the past three weeks I've been accused of having it in for him. The reality is via my access, I'd just worked out this scheme and motives earlier and my level of frustration and annoyance had a couple of months head start before we all got the details by the 10th of June.

Far easier to just build a narrative of people having it in for you to try and maintain the support of those behind you or gain the sympathy vote of those on the fence, than field the difficult questions from those with legitimate concerns. 

Straight disregard such as you mention here around major financial aspects of the deal shows either a complete disdain of the fans/society, a wilful withholding of true intent or, dare I say, both? He obviously won't want to face any tough questions now that voting is underway, but his sudden ceasing of engagement on here beforehand was quite telling when the questions got tough, like he really hadn't expected it and could just wave off any slight concerns with some fantasy figures and 'blue sky thinking' shit talk and coast this thing through. Hopefully it's been seen through by the many rather than the few.