Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 23/07/2024 at 11:48, Swello said:

The fact that over the past decade, we've been a factory that has helped move countless players - academy, loans and ex-jobbers - onto much more money/bigger clubs/first team football is the most important story that we have from a pure business perspective. The factory has probably generated more money than the "merit" income from the actual football and so we should be shouting about that so every player and agent hears it. Savvy agents will be thinking about their client's next move and I don't think any comparable club has the track record that we have in helping them do that.

I guess the opposite is true too, going by posts in the St Johnstone feed just now lamenting that their failure to demonstrate player development over the last few years means that they are struggling to attract signings now.

This is something that doesn't show up directly in the balance sheet, unless it's buried somewhere in "intangibles" or "goodwill". I still can't decide whether Erik factored this in, or missed it completely, depending on what suited his lowball purposes better.

My Dad started taking me to games and paying at the gate in the 1996/97 season, at which point I began to idolise Tommy Coyne (the fact I'm looking at a signed canvas of his next to my WFH desk tells me I probably still do).

We then got season tickets the following season and I remember being an absolutely distraught seven year old at my first league game as a season ticket holder when Mario Dorner was starting and Tommy Coyne was on the bench.

I think that's the only substantial memory of either that I have.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I can get that but in today's world the USA is a complete basket case of a country. (Having said that I know even less about Cypriot politics)

The US, as has always been the case, is a great place to live if you have a few quid and you're in the right part of it. The place is so big that saying it's a basket case of a place to live is like saying the Europe is a basket place of a place to live. 

It also depends on where you're living. Being a relatively wealthy footballer living in somewhere like Colorado, Georgia, Ohio or Kansas is much different to living in New York, California or Illinois. 

Nah, full place is bat shit mental and full nutters with guns, racists and religious nuts. I'm sticking to it. 

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Nah, full place is bat shit mental and full nutters with guns, racists and religious nuts. I'm sticking to it. 

Sounds like Glasgow pre Garden Festival and City of Culture, to be honest.....

31 minutes ago, David1979 said:

It also depends on where you're living. Being a relatively wealthy footballer living in somewhere like Colorado, Georgia, Ohio or Kansas is much different to living in New York, California or Illinois. 

No wonder Cadds only lasted five minutes.

36 minutes ago, David1979 said:

The US, as has always been the case, is a great place to live if you have a few quid 

For me I find this a bit of contradiction tbh. The gap in wealth is why it should be a pretty despicable place to want to live there. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I remember (maybe incorrectly) Resch was ok, Dorner didn't look great. 

They weirdly (maybe not weirdly in retrospect?) came as a pair. They arrived together and as far as I remember left together to the same place...

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I've said this to my mates but being a certain level of footballer I reckon Cyprus is the dream location, maybe just cos I love Cyprus but I think it's the average fitba players dream. 

I've always thought that if you were a decent standard in Scotland (maybe Juniors) with no ties  then upping sticks to San Marino for a few years to gain citizenship and then try to get into their national team would be am adventure worth having

58 minutes ago, gannonball said:

For me I find this a bit of contradiction tbh. The gap in wealth is why it should be a pretty despicable place to want to live there. 

<Big fucking eye roll>

30 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

<Big fucking eye roll>

Like I did say it's just my opinion. I did live there a bit as a kid in a couple of places but fortunately (for myself) I lived in leafy suburbs away areas of poverty etc. I do get why people love the USA and buy in to the ethos of it but the way they lord themselves up as the land of the free and all that vomit isn't for me. Anyway definitely the wrong thread for this.

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

I've always thought that if you were a decent standard in Scotland (maybe Juniors) with no ties  then upping sticks to San Marino for a few years to gain citizenship and then try to get into their national team would be am adventure worth having

How about just trying to forge a career as a Cayman Island internationalist like Ged Brannan? (Is that still a thing ) 

Heads up for any ST holders planning to go on Sunday - tickets are £10 rather than £12 until 5pm.

I opened the e-mail when it came through, but I usually ignore them, would never have realised the price was going up in time.

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

Pretty much what I think too.

If you're League One/Two level here then it feels like you're almost certainly able to go over there and play at a top team.

Seems very little downside to living in Gibraltar, being one of the better players in the league, playing for a side who qualifies for Europe, and playing International football, beyond the inevitable thumping you get every so often.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Nah, full place is bat shit mental and full nutters with guns, racists and religious nuts. 

30 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Wait till you hear about the Middle East! 😂 

Wait until he hears about Larkhall...

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I remember (maybe incorrectly) Resch was ok, Dorner didn't look great. 

My abiding memory of Dorner's short time here was him hitting the Motorola logo on top of the Cooper stand from about 12 yards out once. Impressively bad.