Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Stuparević hasn't been on any of the injury lists for a few weeks but also hasn't been on the bench. I take it he's just shite which is a shame, I had high hopes for him.

For every Kevin Van Veen there is a Casper Sloth. Early indications don’t look great. Scored a good goal in the league cup group game but also looked so ineffective against Thistle. Who knows but Stama getting some minutes last night is encouraging.

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Stuparević hasn't been on any of the injury lists for a few weeks but also hasn't been on the bench. I take it he's just shite which is a shame, I had high hopes for him.

Maybe aye, maybe naw.

Given how long it took Kettlewell to get around to putting Zdravkovski and Gent into the side last season along with the fact he's arrived from Slovenian fitba I'd hold off on making any sort of call either way tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Maybe aye, maybe naw.

Given how long it took Kettlewell to get around to putting Zdravkovski and Gent into the side last season along with the fact he's arrived from Slovenian fitba I'd hold off on making any sort of call either way tbh.

Kind of where I am. Really hope he turns out to be good. Just, you know, because. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I know he was only briefly on the park but Ap Stam certainly looked the part like. The moment he came on the united centre halfs had something to deal with.

Not a criticism of Robinson, he battled well but physically is just smaller. You could see the big man immediately make it a contest and honestly I think he's what we've missed there massively.

Aye, absolutely skinning two them in the corner and winning a free kick tells me he’s got a bit of skill as well. Saw glimpses of that vs rangers, I think he could be a great signing. 

Just now, 18May1991 said:

Kind of where I am. Really hope he turns out to be good. Just, you know, because. 

Aye. As an idea he seems fun and the goal he pinged was a good laugh, I'm all for our strikers just leathering the ball in from distance.

There was an interesting (sort of) quote from Kettlewell about him a while back after the Clyde game (so pre-injury) that sounded like he was someone that they felt they were going to have to work with in terms of integrating him - the comment effectively saying they felt he was trying too hard and trying to strip the paint off the ball is an interesting one to make:

"We’ve actually been speaking to Filip, that he’s trying to impress and he’s trying to show that he’s a good player – we know he’s a good player – and every time he gets into that final third, it’s like he’s trying to strip the paint off the ball," Kettlewell said.

"I thought he caressed that one really well into the side netting and he’s more than capable of that.

"We are trying to get him fitter, trying to get him a little bit sharper and get him up to speed how we want to play. But I think it was a really good contribution.

"The first part is the work ethic and energy. Filip probably needed a little bit more work than several other players so, gradually, hopefully, you’ll start to see him getting up to speed and and showing us that type of quality he gave us with the third goal."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cxe24p03668o

Just typical that whenever we get into a cup semis, our potential oppements are gonna be either side of the old firm and probably the best team outside the old firm.

Why can't we get a cup run where we didn't need to face the old firm?

Not going to write anyone off yet, we're still early on in the season and some players just take longer to settle than others. As @capt_oats says, Davor didn't feature for a good while and is now a regular. Further back, Alex Gorrin was playing with the U19s and didn't look like he'd make an impact, then became a really key player.

Got no inside info here, but perhaps us signing a couple more options up top was to do with Filip Stuparevic taking longer to hit the ground running than was hoped. 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about either of us catching you.

Aye I do think we will probably be fine at worst and might actually be quite good but still just wary that we've still only won twice in the league- against a shambolic Hearts and with a goal at the death against yous that probably shouldn't have stood.

:lol: I realise how incredibly doom and gloom that sounds but I'd really like to build up a decent gap there before worrying about anything else.

45 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Just typical that whenever we get into a cup semis, our potential oppements are gonna be either side of the old firm and probably the best team outside the old firm.

Why can't we get a cup run where we didn't need to face the old firm?

Falkirk are still in the Cup. It's the hope that kills you 😂 

Not wanting to rain on the parade too much but Malwanhise looked a shadow of the player who roasted Hearts and not just last night too, it was the case at Pittodrie too. Hope he can find his form again as he looked deadly in his first couple of games. He was up against Adegboyega on loan from Crystal Palace who was a unit.