Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Medium term, for me, we need to replace SOD. But right now he deserves his spot. 

He's looked better this season than last, definitely fitter and it's paying dividends. But as much as he gets up and down we need more pace and a better attacking threat in that position in the formation we play. You can see the difference when Kaleta comes on immediately in that respect, for example. But, he's earned the right to lose the place and it's great to have competing.

Central defence is the same for me. Perhaps more long term but McGinn is 34 this month. He's doing brilliantly but succession planning key there. 

The interesting thing is who gets the spots for the semi.  Is it just whoever happens to be in the team at that point or does SK select his ‘best’ team, and what I mean by that is will he overthink things.

6 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I had genuinely forgot that Shane Blaney existed, we'll need to build extra changing rooms fit all of these guys if they ever get fit.

Wait till someone tells you about Ross Callachan.

Was Halliday’s goal on Saturday our first from a long throw since Craigan opened the gate? 

I remember Scott McDonald scored from a throw over the shoulder and early hit. 

I don’t like international weeks.

53 minutes ago, ropy said:

The interesting thing is who gets the spots for the semi.  Is it just whoever happens to be in the team at that point or does SK select his ‘best’ team, and what I mean by that is will he overthink things.

I don't think any of know what our 'best' team is as we're only starting to see Stama and Balmer. I don't see SOD being dropped, unsure about Balmer/Casey and don't think Robinson will be a starter much longer (but won't be dropped just yet).

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Was Halliday’s goal on Saturday our first from a long throw since Craigan opened the gate? 

I remember Scott McDonald scored from a throw over the shoulder and early hit. 

I don’t like international weeks.

Blaney vs Hibs in stoppage time right before the split last season.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

I thought (and I am sure a few of us did) SOD was due to "move in one" this season. Dunno if that was the plan for sure but he's lost a wee bit of what he had when he was 29 and playing RCB seemed to suit a bit when he played there.

IF it wasn't for him playing well and McGinn, Casey doing well, Balmer looking decent too (that throw in may be worth a place alone) and Liam Gordon being a f**king colossus. I would like to see what Kaleta or the other Ozzie could do. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

You have to think there's a bit of succession planning for SOD and McGinn too. These things never actually work out this way but if Casey extends then we could feasibly have a settled back 3 of him, Gordon, and Balmer for two or three seasons.

As much as I like McGinn and he is our captain and all, that too me would be our ideal back 3. However would be harsh to drop the captain at the moment but I personally think we need to find a way to keep Balmer in the side. 

Kofi, Casey and Gordon getting on the end of the long throws and brilliant deliveries we have been putting inn the box from set plays would be a tremendous weapon to have. Plus Stama is also very handy in the air.

Big tough decisions to be made. Thank f**k it’s not me doing it.