Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I don't think selling boys before they get near the first team should be the model - because it's going to cause a big gap that we are seeing where we are more reliant on bringing in players from the lower leagues down south, which as we see is a hugely risky enterprise. When we have young players in the reserves, we watch them every day in training and in their matches, so we know when they are ready. 

As far as I'm concerned, the model should 100% involve us getting to enjoy the best young players for a couple of years before we sell them - otherwise it becomes purely a financial transaction that very likely weakens the first team.

This is the thing. The model should be about bringing boys through into the first team, hopefully seeing them flourish and then selling them on, allied with unearthing the odd gem from the lower leagues to play their part then earn their move on. 

This is exactly how it worked with DT and Scott, Moult and Johnson. 

What we're currently doing is selling off our youngsters before half of us even know who they are, and bringing in guys who have their eye on their next move back south before they've even kicked a ball for us. 

The model is great in theory, but in reality it's not being implemented in the way it was intended, and where we are now is the direct result of that - no great big hope from the academy waiting in the wings, and several absolute jobbers using us as a stepping stone without an ounce of care for the club or fight in their bodies. An absolute shambles. 

0 points out of 3 so far. Honestly the more this season drags, the more that I hope something happens to let us finish in 10th. The whole Forfeit games might end up saving our season if the punishments are reinstated. It would be 2002 all over again.

Don't see us taking anything from the St Mirren game next week as well, and then Aberdeen and Rangers....

Chapman is only on the park due to injury, Mugabi is only at the club due to injury, Carroll is making his way back from injury. I have no point here, in some ways we have been unlucky, but all of these players have been brought to the club and selected in the team.  What is the likelihood of the 2 or 3 new players coming in this month?

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

Chapman is only on the park due to injury, Mugabi is only at the club due to injury, Carroll is making his way back from injury. I have no point here, in some ways we have been unlucky, but all of these players have been brought to the club and selected in the team.  What is the likelihood of the 2 or 3 new players coming in this month?

I've got a bit of sympathy with how we've ended up with a guy between the sticks that isn't the right level - there aren't a bunch of good keepers just lying around to be picked up in an emergency during the season and having both Fox and Carson out for so much of the season is a bit of a freak situation. The main issue that was under our control however is that we absolutely fucked it in the summer with our defence. We've recruited badly and now we're suffering and the fact that we're seemingly unable to go through a game without giving away at least one soft goal constantly puts us on the back foot. 

If you added Donnelly and Carson to the team whilst getting Carroll up to speed and added wisely in this window (at least 3 players), we still have the makings of a passable team bizarre as it sounds. If we have a bad window, I'm not sure any new manager will be making much of a difference and it will be our year at last..

We need to appoint a Manager sooner rather than later and get some signings in otherwise we're in real danger of ending up adrift in 12th by the end of the month. 

I'm not even sure what the plan will be though. Splash the cash and raid some National League clubs? Push the boat out for some decent loanees? f**k me this is grim.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We need to appoint a Manager sooner rather than later and get some signings in otherwise we're in real danger of ending up adrift in 12th by the end of the month. 

I'm not even sure what the plan will be though. Splash the cash and raid some National League clubs? Push the boat out for some decent loanees? f**k me this is grim.

I'm only going to get through January* by imagining we're signing players that have either retired or would never come back. #AnnounceSutty

*That, and watching Lionel's goal at Ibrox in the playoff on a loop.

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've got a bit of sympathy with how we've ended up with a guy between the sticks that isn't the right level - there aren't a bunch of good keepers just lying around to be picked up in an emergency during the season and having both Fox and Carson out for so much of the season is a bit of a freak situation. The main issue that was under our control however is that we absolutely fucked it in the summer with our defence. We've recruited badly and now we're suffering and the fact that we're seemingly unable to go through a game without giving away at least one soft goal constantly puts us on the back foot. 

If you added Donnelly and Carson to the team whilst getting Carroll up to speed and added wisely in this window (at least 3 players), we still have the makings of a passable team bizarre as it sounds. If we have a bad window, I'm not sure any new manager will be making much of a difference and it will be our year at last..

Aye, but there’s ‘isn’t the right level’ and then there’s ‘utter dug shite’. There simply must be better out there, even with what little we can pay. 
Whoever scouts for us should have been out the door before Robinson, cos he’s fucking rotten at his job. 

I genuinely think we must be favourites for the drop.

We are so bad to watch and when you come up against mobs like Killie and Accies who are also struggling but manage to get swept aside it just says it all.

I have no idea where we’re going to get points from.
Look at our next 3:
St Mirren (A)
Rangers (H)
Aberdeen (A)

That’s 9 points that we can write off already. This squad have absolutely no chance.

Need a new manager AND new players.

Edited by ZX1886

34 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm only going to get through January* by imagining we're signing players that have either retired or would never come back. #AnnounceSutty

*That, and watching Lionel's goal at Ibrox in the playoff on a loop.

I am checking the availability of Roy Race and Billy’s Boots.

19 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Interesting point raised above about lack of new youth coming through and the model being broken as a reault. As someone who remembers Hibs 2002-2007 I can confirm this happens (in fact did it not for Well earlier in the 2000s?)

With us, it’s more to do with the really good prospects getting picked off before they even play for us. 

still, if we’ve not got youth players better than some of the shite in our first team, then lord help us. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

100% this.

If there's a good manager who's interested and available get him in now. I'm generally pretty sanguine but this is clearly needing sorted asap. The only positive is that if we get our points back we're 7th.

It's going to need someone to come in and be absolutely fucking brutal. If you've been making mistakes all season...get to f**k. If you've made absolutely zero impact on the team by now...get to f**k. None of this try to improve players - we need a bunch of legitimately good signings in the door, not only that we need folk in who are going to start setting some good fucking standards.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% this.

If there's a good manager who's interested and available get him in now. I'm generally pretty sanguine but this is clearly needing sorted asap. The only positive is that if we get our points back we're 7th.

It's going to need someone to come in and be absolutely fucking brutal. If you've been making mistakes all season...get to f**k. If you've made absolutely zero impact on the team by now...get to f**k. None of this try to improve players - we need a bunch of legitimately good signings in the door, not only that we need folk in who are going to start setting some good fucking standards.

This but with more pish footballers and less cheap suits.

Edited by well fan for life

Going forward, I would go with young Morrison in goals and have O'Donnell, Gallagher and Carroll amongst the back line. 

Campbell and Maguire would get starts in the middle, and Watt upfront. 

That's the only 7 bodies out of the entire squad that I would have faith in to at least give 100% and be capable of helping claw our way off the bottom. 

Lamie and Mugabi aren't good enough at the back. Polworth is an empty jersey in midfield, where O'Hara also flatters to deceive. Up front Long couldn't give a f**k, and White, try as he might, is unfortunately Alex Fisher all over again. 

A fairly sad indictment of the dross currently stealing a wage from the club. An absolutely massive job ahead for the board and whoever they appoint.