Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Maybe I’ve just been pinning my hopes on us strengthening the defence and expected Nolan to be part of that.

Aye, don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with the broader point - I'd have thought that we'd maybe have seen a bit more and tbh I'm not wildly happy about looking like we're relying on Bev and Lamie given their bombscare tendencies.

It's just that there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of handwringing on Twitter and the like from folk with a strong "why aren't we starting all the new signings?!" vibe despite the line-ups Alexander had been picking having only lost 2 of the previous 7 games prior to yesterday.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with the broader point - I'd have thought that we'd maybe have seen a bit more and tbh I'm not wildly happy about looking like we're relying on Bev and Lamie given their bombscare tendencies.

It's just that there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of handwringing on Twitter and the like from folk with a strong "why aren't we starting all the new signings?!" vibe despite the line-ups Alexander had been picking had only lost 2 of the previous 7 games prior to yesterday.

Oh aye. Like I think the biggest shock for all of us is that it's taken this long for him to see a Mugabi/Lamie special. Like the two of them were outstanding on Wednesday but had a complete disaster yesterday.

I think it's now that it would be nice to see a bit of a change up with some of the new signings. Particularly defensively.

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Oh aye. Like I think the biggest shock for all of us is that it's taken this long for him to see a Mugabi/Lamie special. Like the two of them were outstanding on Wednesday but had a complete disaster yesterday.

I think it's now that it would be nice to see a bit of a change up with some of the new signings. Particularly defensively.

If Mugabi’s shoulder is gone it takes the need for a decision away.  Lamie has had a run of games so can reasonably be rested now.  If Gallagher isn’t back to guide someone through the next game then I fear for the back 4.

Do we pop Polworth back into the midfield as a fourth man and see if he can create for a front 2?

31 minutes ago, ropy said:

If Mugabi’s shoulder is gone it takes the need for a decision away.  Lamie has had a run of games so can reasonably be rested now.  If Gallagher isn’t back to guide someone through the next game then I fear for the back 4.

Do we pop Polworth back into the midfield as a fourth man and see if he can create for a front 2?

On the assumption that Gallagher's situation is legit and he's expected back in training this week then I'd happily go back to the O'Hara/Gallagher partnership as I'm still pretty firmly in the "Mark O'Hara is better value for us as a centre back" camp.

Tbh, why did we sack that option off? I know we moved him back into midfield when Campbell and Maguire had their ''rona incident' with the Scotland u21s but it's not something we revisited once they were back available. O'Hara was even out in the press talking about enjoying playing the role.

If Alexander is wanting to do that whole play the ball from the back thing then O'Hara's probably a better option on the ball that Bevis.

Edit: checking back we went with O'Hara at CB  again in the 1-1 against United then he got sent off in the 0-2 against Killie.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Marinello said:

I'm with you. From 15 minutes onwards the entire momentum is with the Accies whilst we are facing upstream without a paddle. 

Put another way, we gave ourselves no chance to salvage the game.

Still doesn't fully exonerate our slow start, bad marking at first goal and SOD's brain fart but let's try and see the game in the round.

Next Saturday will be a better indicator albeit in addition to SOD we look to be without Mugabi ( dislocated shoulder?) and perhaps Gallagher.

Step forward Tyler, Mc Ginley or the rarely spotted Malone!!

He's that rarely spotted I got Nolan's name wrong.Doh!!

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On the assumption that Gallagher's situation is legit and he's expected back in training this week then I'd happily go back to the O'Hara/Gallagher partnership as I'm still pretty firmly in the "Mark O'Hara is better value for us as a centre back" camp.

Tbh, why did we sack that option off? I know we moved him back into midfield when Campbell and Maguire had their ''rona incident' with the Scotland u21s but it's not something we revisited once they were back available. O'Hara was even out in the press talking about enjoying playing the role.

If Alexander is wanting to do that whole play the ball from the back thing then O'Hara's probably a better option on the ball that Bevis.

Did we not revisit it and he got sent off?  Although in general I was happy with him being in there.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Did we not revisit it and he got sent off?  Although in general I was happy with him being in there.

Aye, there's a recent edit in my post. We played him there on the right of a 3 in the 1-1 against United then he got sent off against Killie in the next game. I mean, if we're ruling out using players on the basis that they've been sent off we're even more fucked. 

What are the current rules about yellow card suspensions, had a quick look but couldn’t find anything?  Are we on the verge of losing anyone for a match.  Watt and Gallagher must be close.  

The SFA suspension list seems to always be a week or so behind.  How many yellows trigger a ban?  Is it, say, 6 yellows = 1 game ban, 12 yellows = a further 2 games?

if Watt’s card yesterday triggered anything he would be out for the Hibs match?

Offence
Accumulation of six cautionable offences in the same Competition (including cautions incurred under Part D below)

Suspension
1 match dated suspension
(For every further accumulation of six cautionable offences,
the suspension applied will be extended by one match.)

Application of Suspension
Effective from 14th day following date of match when sixth cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same Competition.

had another look

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

Offence
Accumulation of six cautionable offences in the same Competition (including cautions incurred under Part D below)

Suspension
1 match dated suspension
(For every further accumulation of six cautionable offences,
the suspension applied will be extended by one match.)

Application of Suspension
Effective from 14th day following date of match when sixth cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same Competition.

had another look

Gallagher's last booking (his 6th according to Wiki) was in the Aberdeen game on 23rd January so presumably the games he's missed through his "injury" break has seen his suspension served.

Watt's on 7 for the season after yesterday. The Killie game on Wednesday would have been his 6th so it'd be the St Mirren game if it's 14 days?

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Gallagher's last booking (his 6th according to Wiki) was in the Aberdeen game on 23rd January so presumably the games he's missed through his "injury" break has seen his suspension served.

Watt's on 7 for the season after yesterday. The Killie game on Wednesday would have been his 6th so it'd be the St Mirren game if it's 14 days?

Dec isn’t mentioned in the suspension list published for 28th Jan (Polworth is) or 4th Feb which is why I was querying the no. of yellow threshold.

10 minutes ago, East Coast Warrior said:

What's the extent of the work they're doing on the old stand at Fir Park? New seats and a lick of paint?

See more and more seats ripped out each week on Sportscene. Hope they bring back the old slogan back on the roof for nostalgia's sake! 

Installing a curry station