Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm fully aboard the Alexander hype train. Accies on Saturday is a massive game. If we win then I think we're just about safe. A defeat wouldn't be the disaster it might have been 2-3 weeks ago but it would keep the pressure on for another few weeks yet.

I'm genuinely interested to see what sort of team we have next season when Alexander gets the opportunity to make it "his own". There's a few players who were certain starters under Robinson (Polworth, for example) who might be wondering if their tea's oot. Equally, there are a few who might have expected to be binned but Alexander has managed to get something from them that Robinson couldn't (Lamie, Maguire and maybe even Long).

I just realised why I liked last night's goal so much - it was the fact that a motherwell player took a quick throw-in!

Hopefully Lasley can remind them that our standard throw in tactic is to take it nice and slow, let the opposition get settled and then throw it limply to the tallest opposition player. It's served us well for 25 years, no need to change it...

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

I just realised why I liked last night's goal so much - it was the fact that a motherwell player took a quick throw-in!

Hopefully Lasley can remind them that our standard throw in tactic is to take it nice and slow, let the opposition get settled and then throw it limply to the tallest opposition player. It's served us well for 25 years, no need to change it...

Shudder to think what % of my life I've spent waiting on Stevie Hammell to take a shy.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Probably our first good throw in since the times we used to throw it to Tommy Coyne, he'd dummy it and spin, and then Arnott would lay it off to him. 

The golden days! 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Probably our first good throw in since the times we used to throw it to Tommy Coyne, he'd dummy it and spin, and then Arnott would lay it off to him. 

The golden days! 

Got to admire the long con here - we spent more than twenty years lulling the opposition into expecting a glacially slow throw in, and then chose Kilmarnock last night to spring the trap. That'll teach the c***s to try to get their three points back. I can't wait to see what we've got planned for St Mirren.

See, I think this is where the whole shelf life idea comes into play.
When you compare Robinson at the start of his time vs Robinson at the end it's a noticeable difference in mood and tone.

Same can be said of McCall’s time here too. He admitted it himself that he had run out of ideas and couldn’t turn the team around.

Robinson will always be looked on fondly (IMO), and rightly so, for getting 2 cup finals in a season and for completely changing how his team plays mid way through a season. But I am happy he decided he’d had enough and stepping down as I don’t think he could have turned it around.

Alexander has tweaked the team and has brought in competition. Despite St Johnstone fans’ objections I think we have a better manager than Tommy Wright. Guess we will find out in the summer when he has to build a new team... here’s hoping we sign a few players he has lined up for killie.

On 10/02/2021 at 20:27, Busta Nut said:

I love the ACTUAL stats on there. Pass accuracy, % of tackles won. Absolutely magic.

xG, xA ??? Shite

Jake Hastie is the only player in your squad whos neither had a shot, or set up a shot, except for your GKs, Lawless, and Cornelius, in the league this season.

If thats the sorty of stuff you find interesting.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jake Hastie is the only player in your squad whos neither had a shot, or set up a shot, except for your GKs, Lawless, and Cornelius, in the league this season.

They bullied me on this thread once for pointing out something like we'd scored first in each of the first 13 games of last season apart from a 0-0 and another where we'd missed a penalty at nothing each. Solidarity my Perthshire brother.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don’t think we need stats about Jake Hastie, we have eyes (one of mine isn’t the best, football injury, but we know that Jake has contributed nothing other than skinning Tait one and a half times).

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like that, I expect that. Hastie's xS (expected shiteness) is 100%

29 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Tbf to Hastie he's turned 7 good games into a 4 year deal getting paid handsomely. Fair play to him. 

Would suspect Rangers will be moving heaven and earth to try and empty him on to someone else in the summer. 

It's probably worth acknowledging that we did alright out it in banking £350k for him as well.

There's definitely a player in there somewhere, as I've said before he was v.good for Craigan's u20s when being used on his natural side wide left. I've a feeling he was used on the left for Alloa and Airdrie too. The fact that he's repeatedly been shoved out right as an inverted winger since that purple patch seems to have completely destroyed any confidence he had on the park.

I'd have thought the obvious next step for him would be to drop down a level in a Shankland, Nisbet style.

Rangers have been trying for years to turn Hastie into a left back.

That we've sent him on loan to Motherwell and said "Play him wherever you want, as often as you want" tells you that it wasn't a successful project.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

That we've sent him on loan to Motherwell and said "Play him wherever you want, as often as you want" tells you that it wasn't a successful project.

Years?  

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Tbf they've been trying that with Middleton too.

Must be an English manager thing, as Brendan Rodgers continously attempts it with wingers.