Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

Jordan Roberts : winger or striker?

Forward.

I know that we've seen players come in, look good and then they go off a cliff but Roberts all round play has offered us more in a handful of games than Seedorf has done in 18 months. As Jock Brown is never tired of saying, he's decent enough in the air that we can go direct as we have been the last few games and he's quick. Hard to see why you wouldn't want him in the squad for next season if he's available.

39 minutes ago, ropy said:

Jordan Roberts : winger or striker?

+1 on Forward.

He's clearly not a winger, he's not hitting the byline and getting crosses in but he's doing everything that Hastie (and Seedorf) didn't. He's different enough from Watt and Cole that means there's a nice balance there.

Just wanted to say that Tony Watt and Scott McDonald debating xG and "Secondary Assists" (or "passing" as I'd call it) on Twitter is very much not the content I want to see on a Sunday morning.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

If we're going to start importing stats from hockey, might I also suggest we allow fighting?

Do you need a nominated fighter or is it a free for all?

I am thinking Grimmy or Alexander.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19140786.amp/

To be fair, he only said for his own sanity as he said he wasn’t really doing any work. Didn’t bad mouth the club at all. Get the impression he’s touting himself to be Robinson’s number two wherever he goes.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I feel I'm going mental reading Alexander's first name spelled as "Graham". Granted, I probably literally hadn't thought about him in a decade until we appointed him but I could have sworn it was Graeme.

He's just a patsy for @thisGRAEME to take us to glory. 

18 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19140786.amp/

To be fair, he only said for his own sanity as he said he wasn’t really doing any work. Didn’t bad mouth the club at all. Get the impression he’s touting himself to be Robinson’s number two wherever he goes.

That article shows up as being behind a paywall on my Macbook but oddly I can read the whole thing by clicking the link in the P&B app on my iPhone. Anyway, given the typos and (presumably) misquotes in it they've a cheek calling it 'Premium' content. I'd be surprised if Ross actually said he was used to going into work and not working, for example - although it'd explain a lot this season I suppose.

Ross definitely comes across as a bit of an oddball and tbh, I'm low-key pleased he's fucked off given his staunch chat towards the end of that interview.

It's interesting that he's angling himself towards working with Robinson again. I had wondered whether Robinson would be looking at Lasley for that sort of role wherever he pitches up next but reading between the lines it feels like Lasley's been reassigned at Fir Park and is taking in at least part of the role that Ross had.

I've screenshot the Motherwell chat. His Rangers pish can get in the fucking sea.

Spoiler

IMG_3708.thumb.jpeg.ce5ab5e6cf8c7f0a4ff0c43216d1c625.jpegIMG_3709.thumb.jpeg.09cc89237e77cea3f9c35d2fd26b4e72.jpegIMG_3710.jpeg.fa9826fa6f6bfea92f4005e6a34f5a50.jpegIMG_3711.thumb.jpeg.94a2908cc0ad0aad66d525b6942f6481.jpegIMG_3712.jpeg.7ad4535d280653ee1f823523f049566f.jpegIMG_3713.jpeg.c3d8e5419770593ddda65fbab16a8bcb.jpegIMG_3714.thumb.jpeg.88ba4fd7ba1691d4f24a6cdca657d487.jpegIMG_3715.thumb.jpeg.253ee0c9a3dd0da4d1095010d6d3af89.jpeg

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, santheman said:

Sounds to me that there was too much coaching going on. All very well weaving pretty little patterns but if players lose their mojo then it counts for nothing.

I had to laugh at his whole "6's & 8s" bit on Inside Motherwell. At a time where it looked like our midfield had barely even met each other never mind worked on patterns of play. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That article shows up as being behind a paywall on my Macbook but oddly I can read the whole thing by clicking the link in the P&B app on my iPhone. Anyway, given the typos and (presumably) misquotes in it they've a cheek calling it 'Premium' content. I'd be surprised if Ross actually said he was used to going into work and not working, for example - although it'd explain a lot this season I suppose.

Ross definitely comes across as a bit of an oddball and tbh, I'm low-key pleased he's fucked off given his staunch chat towards the end of that interview.

It's interesting that he's angling himself towards working with Robinson again. I had wondered whether Robinson would be looking at Lasley for that sort of role wherever he pitches up next but reading between the lines it feels like Lasley's been reassigned at Fir Park and is taking in at least part of the role that Ross had.

I've screenshot the Motherwell chat. His Rangers pish can get in the fucking sea.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_3708.thumb.jpeg.ce5ab5e6cf8c7f0a4ff0c43216d1c625.jpegIMG_3709.thumb.jpeg.09cc89237e77cea3f9c35d2fd26b4e72.jpegIMG_3710.jpeg.fa9826fa6f6bfea92f4005e6a34f5a50.jpegIMG_3711.thumb.jpeg.94a2908cc0ad0aad66d525b6942f6481.jpegIMG_3712.jpeg.7ad4535d280653ee1f823523f049566f.jpegIMG_3713.jpeg.c3d8e5419770593ddda65fbab16a8bcb.jpegIMG_3714.thumb.jpeg.88ba4fd7ba1691d4f24a6cdca657d487.jpegIMG_3715.thumb.jpeg.253ee0c9a3dd0da4d1095010d6d3af89.jpeg

That's an appallingly written article regardless of what Ross is saying. 

Ross doesn't strike me as someone with a lack of self-confidence but he definitely lacks some self-awareness. His passive-aggressive patter about Alexander's coaching methods would have made more sense if there hadn't been a noticeable turnaround since he came in. I think it is fairly obvious that Alexander has simplified our approach in a lot of ways, which is what's needed in our situation IMO. How things work once the dust has settled on this season and we need to build for a new season is a different matter but for now, there isn't much criticism that could be levelled at Alexander.

In contrast, over-thinking things and flailing around for a magic formula to fix problems are a classic hallmark of the last days of a manager's time at the club before they are mutually consented - and highlighting his integral part in that probably isn't the strong argument that Ross seems to think it is.

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I had to laugh at his whole "6's & 8s" bit on Inside Motherwell. At a time where it looked like our midfield had barely even met each other never mind worked on patterns of play. 

It was when he sat the players down at the breakfast table and produced his laptop that got me. 

That knowing look between the players that said "oh f**k no again"

If Alexander gels this team and we go on and win the Cup, where will our disgraceful celebrations be held?  Outside Fir Park, the Civic car park or a table for six at the Indian Villa?
Joking aside, it would be fucking typical of us to win our first trophy in 30 years and be unable to celebrate it properly.

I do feel that the Scottish Cup is there for the taking this season. Rangers have what they came for and Celtic are an ongoing shambles. If we can see ourselves safe in the league then this could be as good a chance as any for us to win the cup (granted there's probably about 10 other teams thinking the same).

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Joking aside, it would be fucking typical of us to win our first trophy in 30 years and be unable to celebrate it properly.

Nah - they'll need to do a test event at Hampden before the euro's - we'll all be at Hampden in the Lateral (')Flow Test queue in May, you heard it here first :)