Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swello said:

That's an appallingly written article regardless of what Ross is saying. 

Ross doesn't strike me as someone with a lack of self-confidence but he definitely lacks some self-awareness. His passive-aggressive patter about Alexander's coaching methods would have made more sense if there hadn't been a noticeable turnaround since he came in. I think it is fairly obvious that Alexander has simplified our approach in a lot of ways, which is what's needed in our situation IMO. How things work once the dust has settled on this season and we need to build for a new season is a different matter but for now, there isn't much criticism that could be levelled at Alexander.

In contrast, over-thinking things and flailing around for a magic formula to fix problems are a classic hallmark of the last days of a manager's time at the club before they are mutually consented - and highlighting his integral part in that probably isn't the strong argument that Ross seems to think it is.

Aye, it's actually a painful read. I mean, I get that it's an industry that is largely fucked and once he's filed his piece it'll largely be forgotten about let alone there being a chance of subbing it but even with just a brief skim of the article I clocked about 4 or 5 typos or phrasing that makes no sense. Apparently Pep Guardiola "eludes" to something all the time...'Premium' content? f**k me.

The rise of the blogger has a lot to answer for in sports journalism IMO.

I don't think Ross actually says much in that article that's out of line, he's certainly not putting the boot into anyone at least and if he felt his role had been diminished and didn't feel he was getting job satisfaction after Alexander and Lucketti have come in then fair play to him for looking to move on rather than just bleed the club by taking a wage. The pass agg stuff is definitely a bit weird though and probably doesn't make the argument he thinks it does.

If anything, rightly or wrongly, I came away from that article with the impression that he'd been earmarked as expendable rather than integral - which I suppose is his point. I'd guess the lack of Reserve fitba' plays into that a lot and I'd have thought we'll see what happens in the summer when the dust settles in terms of the broader picture.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Something like a Motherwell vs St Mirren final with 8,000 fans allowed for each club would be magic.

Imagine the  " i deserve a ticket more than you because...."  debate on SO for that allocation

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Something like a Motherwell vs St Mirren final with 8,000 fans allowed for each club would be magic.

37 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Imagine the  " i deserve a ticket more than you because...."  debate on SO for that allocation

SEASON TICKET HOLDERS FIRST

I think I skim read it yesterday, a few comments do stand out upon second reading.

Alexander has probably been quite clever in that reducing a guy who is clearly sure of himself's responsibilities would inevitably lead to him walking away of his own accord. This season, the first team being a three-man job was even debatable for me and it's definitely not a four, so it was inevitable someone had to go.

I wonder what the future holds for Lasley, as he is effectively demoted. It's clear to see that from the fact Lucketti is always standing at the front, earpiece in and Las is sitting in the dugout more often than not. I suspect perhaps that this isn't ideal for Las, but he is happy enough to play a reduced role to keep picking up his wage at a time like this. I guess he might hang about until he sees a job elsewhere that he ends up getting. It's not quite Kenny Black standing at the opposite end of the dugout from Baraclough, but he does appear to be going further into the background.

There should be a job for Lasley within the club, when things are back to normal there will be some form of a second team, I don’t think we have anyone in that role, tailor made for Lasley and he will be able to help out with first team affairs.  At the end of the day he was part of a management team that has been deemed to have run its course and it has been replaced.  At another club he would be out on his ear.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

There should be a job for Lasley within the club, when things are back to normal there will be some form of a second team, I don’t think we have anyone in that role, tailor made for Lasley and he will be able to help out with first team affairs.  At the end of the day he was part of a management team that has been deemed to have run its course and it has been replaced.  At another club he would be out on his ear.

As you say, it's only tailor-made for him if he's actually any good at that sort of thing, and his record to date suggests that's not necessarily the case. But if coaching is what he wants to pursue then I'm sure we'll give him every opportunity given his status at the club.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think I skim read it yesterday, a few comments do stand out upon second reading.

Alexander has probably been quite clever in that reducing a guy who is clearly sure of himself's responsibilities would inevitably lead to him walking away of his own accord. This season, the first team being a three-man job was even debatable for me and it's definitely not a four, so it was inevitable someone had to go.

I wonder what the future holds for Lasley, as he is effectively demoted. It's clear to see that from the fact Lucketti is always standing at the front, earpiece in and Las is sitting in the dugout more often than not. I suspect perhaps that this isn't ideal for Las, but he is happy enough to play a reduced role to keep picking up his wage at a time like this. I guess he might hang about until he sees a job elsewhere that he ends up getting. It's not quite Kenny Black standing at the opposite end of the dugout from Baraclough, but he does appear to be going further into the background.

@ropy has just kind of hinted at this but from the outside looking in it kind of feels like going forward Lasley is likely to be moved to running the Reserves (presumably that will be a thing again) given that was the role Ross had and we've already seen O'Carroll move on. That's twice Lasley has apparently either applied or interviewed for the main job and with the best will in the world it'd have been a gamble to give it to him - the 3-0 against Accies at New Year nipped that in the bud.

Looking at his CV, he's never actually managed a team. He was assistant to Craigan with the u20s then assistant to Robinson with the first team. If he has aspirations of being a manager then you'd think that at some point he's going to have to actually 'manage' a team in some capacity. As @Gallus Numpty says, it's still an unknown whether he's actually capable in a management role and going from assistant to the actual manager seems a massive leap to take especially given the sort of margins we operate in.

I used to go and watch the u20s/Reserves a fair bit although less so when Ross was in charge and tbh I'm still not sure whether he was actually good in the job on account of  the switch to the Reserve league seeing a bunch of first team players getting bounced down (hiya Casper) and there having been a turnover of players with the bulk of the Youth Cup winning side having either landed in the first team or moved on along with guys like McKinstry and McAlear having been sold - the emphasis seemed to be on development rather than results and the shitshow of the last year has probably fucked the development of players like Cornelius, Devine, Hussain and Semple.

I don't know what the general consensus of the board/football dept would have been but given the club/Robinson had to publicly apologise for comments made by Ross through the season I'd have thought investing in Lasley by keeping him on but moving sideways into that role might make more sense for the club generally.

Edited by capt_oats

There is loads of folk who do all their badges then end up running top tier 1st teams. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see it happen eventually if he sticks about.

Slightly related to 2 strands of conversation on here - food and missing (or not) the fitba - I happened upon a Chapman's pie in our local shop this morning.  Felt momentarily nostalgic and bought it to have at lunch.  My god it was awful - pre match pints must be making all the difference there.  

Slightly related to 2 strands of conversation on here - food and missing (or not) the fitba - I happened upon a Chapman's pie in our local shop this morning.  Felt momentarily nostalgic and bought it to have at lunch.  My god it was awful - pre match pints must be making all the difference there.  
Could be wrong but I'm sure Chapman's stopped doing our pies years ago.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Weirdly, I'd spotted him being fairly involved in discussions with Lucketti and Alexander a few times, so had kind of taken that as a positive for him.

IMO, guys like Lasley in and around the club are invaluable. We've all said all season long that we've lacked a bit of leadership and character after Tait, Hartley and others in seasons past left. We're always going to be a stopping point of a club, with a lot of turnover, both player and staff wise. Having someone like Lasley around the club who understands what it means to people, and is able to explain that to players around him, is vital. It's notable that a club like Hibs, a basket case full of wasters and ne'er-do-well's on the playing side through a bunch of their bad times, have clung tightly to guys like Hanlon, Stevenson, McGregor and Gray. Even if their playing time is limited, the effect they have on those around them is obviously a significant and positive one. It's a culture thing, same as any workplace, and it can't be told, it has to be shown and occasionally enforced.

Lasley would have a decent enough reputation to get a manager gig at a lower league club I'd imagine - and I think that if he wanted to be a 1st team manager in his own right, he may need to go that path. I might have been scarred by McLeish but I don't think we should be giving anyone their first job in management, regardless of their status. 

If he's happy to be reserve team manager for now, I'd be more than happy with that as there is a benefit having people like Las and Hammell  around the club.

Can I just chuck in that I think Chrissy Long's goal at the weekend might be my favourite Motherwell goal of the season. Granted we've not been blessed with many bangers so far but big Devante's contribution is very much not what you expect to see at "our level".

It's such a fucking optimistic ball to expect Long to take as well.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Can I just chuck in that I think Chrissy Long's goal at the weekend might be my favourite Motherwell goal of the season. Granted we've not been blessed with many bangers this so far but big Devante's contribution is very much not what you expect to see at "our level".

It's such a fucking optimistic ball to expect Long to take as well.

giphy.gif

All the chat down south is about an unintentional handball by an attacker leading to a goal being a bad thing, at Motherwell we just punch it to the Decanter and he lays it on a plate for the stroppy one.  What’s not to love.

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

big Devante's contribution is very much not what you expect to see at "our level".

With Motherwell supporter fatalism, I think he's beginning to play too well. I'd imagine any scout watching him would be rubbing their hands....