Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Any news on where Faddy's going? I've always wanted him to get a couple of cameo appearances for Scotland just so he can get into the Hall of Fame, so I really hope he isn't calling it quits. He's always wanted to go to America, though, so I could see him riding off into the sunset there.

Genuinely not sure.

The gist from the announcement yesterday seemed to be that he'd take the summer to decide what he wanted to do. In truth the assistant manager gig didn't really work out but then again he seemed to have been thrown into it and how much of it not working was down to him and his inexperience being paired with McGhee I don't know. It'd have been a steep learning curve anyway. It'd have been nice if it had worked but the positive is we weren't relegated in the end I guess.

I was watching back his interview when he took the job and at the time (and a couple of occasions after) he was still talking about wanting to contribute on the playing side but he felt the opportunity to coach was one he couldn't turn down, which is fair enough. However, if he still wants to play it's unlikely it'll be at Premiership level and I'd have said getting a team in the US is even less likely now given how long it's been since he played regular first team football. Unlike Lasley who has his Pro Licence and works with Craigan with the u20s or Hammell and McManus who are both 'A' licensed and work with MFC's youth sides as far as I'm aware Faddy doesn't have his badges and to go back to that interview he did then at the time other than helping out here and there coaching didn't really seem to be on his agenda.

I'd have thought he'd be looking at making a decision on whether or not coaching is something he actually wants to do or not. If it is then a player/coach role at a Championship side that'd give him some semi-regular playing time and a less stressful pathway into coaching would be a decent route for him.

Is it just me who doesn't get the Faddy love-in? The last two contracts we've given him, he's done f**k all.

I always seen him as a Scotland legend who once played for Motherwell, rather than some kind of Motherwell hero.

Maybe the last couple of years has tainted it for me.

Is it just me or are some of the posters on Steelmen Online so full of shit and their own importance it is beyond belief. If you don't get with the program and be a happy clapper then your not part of the clique. God forbid you make a point that is not the official line and they go bleating to the mods to ban you

Oh, you've turned up here. If you're looking to avoid cliques and #itk chat, you've come to the wrong place, m74.

Now, unless you've got the secret password, I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

The chat I heard about Faddy was apparently Robinson told the board he offered absolutely nothing as assistant apart from moaning at 4th officials and would be looking to make a change this summer.  

I reckon Lasley will probably replace him but I'd prefer we get an outsider with fresh ideas rather than promoting from within all the time as I feel that's played a part in holding us back.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Is it just me who doesn't get the Faddy love-in? The last two contracts we've given him, he's done f**k all.

I always seen him as a Scotland legend who once played for Motherwell, rather than some kind of Motherwell hero.

Fucking boooooooooooooooooooo

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Oh, you've turned up here. If you're looking to avoid cliques and #itk chat, you've come to the wrong place, m74.

Now, unless you've got the secret password, I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

ooh a secret password

7 hours ago, Desp said:

Faddy is the best player I have ever seen us produce and I loved him playing for us early in his career.

However the amount of fanboys he has in our support who seem to value him over the club itself is cringeworthy, especially as he has contributed very little during his last few contracts. Too many Motherwell fans still see him as the 19 year old superkid with the red stripe in his hair and attracting interest from big clubs down south instead of what he actually is in 2017.

Good luck to him whatever he does next, but it is way beyond time where we consign Faddy to where he belongs, in the past, where he belongs.

8 hours ago, Well Well said:

Is it just me or are some of the posters on Steelmen Online so full of shit and their own importance it is beyond belief. If you don't get with the program and be a happy clapper then your not part of the clique. God forbid you make a point that is not the official line and they go bleating to the mods to ban you

It was once a great site, the best place online to keep up to date with the day to day happenings at Motherwell FC but not anymore. 

Like many similar sites, including this one at times, it's got too many contributors more interested in squabbling with other posters over differing opinions than discussing the actual football. It always had a core of posters who seemed to revel in arguing and in their 'status' on the board.

Best avoided imo.

Quite an enlightening interview with McDonald on Sportsound, if you're interested in listening to Scott McDonald I suppose. A fair amount of honesty about last season.

A lot of it we already knew in so much as he talks about the club blocking the move to Australia, that he felt McGhee would have kept us up, Robinson was brought in because the club were had anticipated McGhee's suspension and that he felt this was a natural point to call time at Fir Park as he was feeling stale and wasn't really enjoying playing.

The part that interested me was him mentioning that he felt he and Robinson had clashed (for want of a better term) and him saying he thought he and Robinson were very similar characters and that they had moved on quickly after any disagreements but him describing Robinson as "firey" caught my attention.

Looking at the way Robinson's set about emptying the dressing room and thinking about his comments after the ICT game it seems like there's maybe a bit more to him that the assistant manager tag he's been labelled with. McDonald certainly acknowledged he has good ideas about the game.

I like Robinson, Plain talker, says things as he sees it. I look forward to seeing his team on the park in the new season and how he sets things up. I am sure a few players are in for a shock pre-season fitness wise.

The part that interested me was him mentioning that he felt he and Robinson had clashed (for want of a better term) and him saying he thought he and Robinson were very similar characters and that they had moved on quickly after any disagreements but him describing Robinson as "firey" caught my attention.

MacDonald strikes me as being 'hard work' to manage.
It was Robinson who was involved with Ainsworth down at Morton as well IRC.

10 hours ago, Well Well said:

I like Robinson, Plain talker, says things as he sees it. I look forward to seeing his team on the park in the new season and how he sets things up. I am sure a few players are in for a shock pre-season fitness wise.

FWIW I agree re Robinson. Obviously judging by Skippy's comments he has a fiery temperament and if they both had the odd disagreement then I am inclined to see that as a positive for Robinson. 

Also the fact he knows that he could do better for an assistant shows a steely determination, which should all but banish the days of jobs and contracts based on goodwill and loyalty to some of our long standing pros and former players. 

Willalways love Faddy but did think his appointment was a lazy option at the time by McGhee. Sure he has the respect of the dressing room buy u got the feeling it was not a decision Robinson would have made. 

Early days but Robinson is making all the right noises and moves. 

On 6/2/2017 at 18:09, capt_oats said:

Robinson saying in the interview on the YouTube channel they're at advanced stages with 3 other players and they're hopeful of getting a couple in early next week.

I'd imagine that with Bigirimana coming in then that'll free Lasley up to take the assistant job?

Heard at the weekend yer boy Carson is one of those that's 'all but signed'. Having had a quick look this morning he's a 29 year old keeper that's spent most of his career in the lower leagues in England. He's actually been relegated from League 2 twice in the last few years but to be fair to him he's also managed to win both Cheltenham and Hartlepool's player of the year in recent seasons. So he should be used to being kept busy by a shite defence.

Here's the standard youtube compilation of his best bits for Hartlepool;

Not much you can tell from that other than he appears to be a good shot stopper, if he wasn't he shouldn't be a keeper to be fair, however he also appears to come of his line a couple of times and actually catch the ball which would be a bit of a novelty.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Heard at the weekend yer boy Carson is one of those that's 'all but signed'. Having had a quick look this morning he's a 29 year old keeper that's spent most of his career in the lower leagues in England. He's actually been relegated from League 2 twice in the last few years but to be fair to him he's also managed to win both Cheltenham and Hartlepool's player of the year in recent seasons. So he should be used to being kept busy by a shite defence.

Here's the standard youtube compilation of his best bits for Hartlepool;

Not much you can tell from that other than he appears to be a good shot stopper, if he wasn't he shouldn't be a keeper to be fair, however he also appears to come of his line a couple of times and actually catch the ball which would be a bit of a novelty.

Aye, I had a watch of that YouTube video when I read the tweet mentioning him. Going by stuff like his profile on Transfermarkt etc he only seems to be 6ft but he looks a very different sort of goalkeeper to what we've usually seen. It sounds daft but looking at his build he looks like an outfield player who's been stuck in goals. Seems mobile and agile while some of those 1 vs 1 stops are outrageous.

As you say there's at least one clip of him claiming a corner on his 6 yard line. On that basis, sign him up!

It looks like he missed pretty much all of Hartlepool's games in 2017 with a shoulder injury. He was only back for their last 2 games against Cheltenham and Doncaster. https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/2017/january/carson-ruled-out-for-rest-of-season/

Also, he's been involved with Northern Ireland's international squads this season as well.

Here's his Cheltenham POTY montage. He's started following Motherwell on Twitter so it'd seem it is indeed a "done deal".

Edited by capt_oats

With regards to Skippy. I posted this on steelmen anaw

I have heard that McDonald was an absolute pollution at the club, a complete wee p***k and a lot of folk disliked him. Especially after his wanting away in January. Too good a player to lose then though.

I had heard similar from people vaguely in the know (although I've got no idea if it's true or not) - but I guess there are arseholes in every workplace and some of them are very good at their jobs. McDonald came in to the category of someone who was worth putting up with despite being hard to manage I guess. That said, If the summer clearout is a way to improve the overall atmosphere within the dressing room, then that's a good thing.

Edited by Swello